Who will be the steal of the draft?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well, based on the events of the last two hours, the Bible is about drop from a couple of best-seller lists. :laugh:

Central Scouting employees like working for CS because it means stability- especially for someone like Barzee, who is 70 years old. If you think he a) hasn't been offered an NHL job b) couldn't do it, I don't know what to tell you. Your hatred of Central Scouting is blotting out any possible logic.

Outlandish! Crazy! Insane! Can't believe Central Scouting gets paid to do what they do. Destined to be an NHLer, my ass.

q

Me: Lives in Edmonton, Canada. Gets to see RNH in person numerous times a year, including a playoff series.

You: Lives in the United States. Admittedly has seen RNH only on the Internet and TV.

But I'm the sheep. :nod:

again, still not seeing how any of this makes me wrong....

you can pretty up anything you like, but you are still having someone spoon feed you opinions and views of players, and as I said before, that is fine by me. I dont care what he has to say, you seem to have a personal bromance going on with the guy but I could care less.

those are some wonderful comments about Skinner....err where did they have him ranked again? top 10 right? top 15 maybe? how about top 20? no, they saw a NHLer in him, so he must be top 25? didnt crack the top 30 you say? not in the top 35??? yeah, they hit the nail right on the head!

so you have seen RNH numerous times this year, including his very lackluster playoff performance, but you arent biased towards him in any way are you?

I have seen him twice this past year as well as a dozen or so games on tv and via stream, I dont see things the same as you hear people feed you their opinions.

I hope RNH turns out to be a great player, the league needs plenty of dynamic offensive players for the future, but I certainly do not listen to anything Central Scouting has to say as I do not take it as the bible and not many do either. I have no hate towards them, they just are way off on a wider margin then others that I follow.

as I said before, I think there are better options then him at forward this draft, but all you can say is Jack Barzee "the 70 year old" says he is good, so therefore he must be! is he a coke or pepsi man? well wait a second, which one are you drinking? as that would explain it all....

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
again, still not seeing how any of this makes me wrong....

you can pretty up anything you like, but you are still having someone spoon feed you opinions and views of players, and as I said before, that is fine by me.

I haven't even provided my opinion on Nugent-Hopkins. I was merely defending a career scout who doesn't deserve to be referred to as an idiot or a moron because he had the gall to see some similarities between RNH and Joe Sakic. He wasn't saying he's going to be as good- just that he reminds him. And as his age would imply, Brazee is old enough to have seen Sakic play junior and develop into an NHL star.

I dont care what he has to say, you seem to have a personal bromance going on with the guy but I could care less.

If you're going to imply things like that, it basically cements your immaturity. Please let the adults talk and keep your opinions to Page 2 where they belong.

so you have seen RNH numerous times this year, including his very lackluster playoff performance, but you arent biased towards him in any way are you?

I have seen him twice this past year as well as a dozen or so games on tv and via stream, I dont see things the same as you hear people feed you their opinions.

So seeing a player in person a number of times leads to a lack of knowledge, but living in a completely different country imbues one with an unbiased and all-knowing perspective. Man, I love the world you live in.

as I said before, I think there are better options then him at forward this draft, but all you can say is Jack Barzee "the 70 year old" says he is good, so therefore he must be! is he a coke or pepsi man? well wait a second, which one are you drinking? as that would explain it all....

Once again, I haven't offered my opinion of Nugent-Hopkins here. That wasn't the discussion- your continued immaturity and inability to hold a measured discussion about a player without throwing around jungle gym insults has been the highlight so far.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well, based on the events of the last two hours, the Bible is about drop from a couple of best-seller lists. :laugh:

Central Scouting employees like working for CS because it means stability- especially for someone like Barzee, who is 70 years old. If you think he a) hasn't been offered an NHL job b) couldn't do it, I don't know what to tell you. Your hatred of Central Scouting is blotting out any possible logic.

Outlandish! Crazy! Insane! Can't believe Central Scouting gets paid to do what they do. Destined to be an NHLer, my ass.

q

Me: Lives in Edmonton, Canada. Gets to see RNH in person numerous times a year, including a playoff series.

You: Lives in the United States. Admittedly has seen RNH only on the Internet and TV.

But I'm the sheep. :nod:

Ohhh, face it AD, you got burned/served.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
I haven't even provided my opinion on Nugent-Hopkins. I was merely defending a career scout who doesn't deserve to be referred to as an idiot or a moron because he had the gall to see some similarities between RNH and Joe Sakic. He wasn't saying he's going to be as good- just that he reminds him. And as his age would imply, Brazee is old enough to have seen Sakic play junior and develop into an NHL star.

The quote you posted and the quote AD is talking about are two different quotes. Your quote had Barzee making a simple comparison, while the quote AD is talking about compared RNH's passing to Sakic's and had the sickeningly overblown language that AD quoted.

I remember hearing the same quote and I remember having the same reaction, but I can't remember who said it. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but I think it might have been Bob McKenzie on Twitter. Or he might have been the one who repeated what the original guy said. It's driving me nuts now because I can't remember who said it.

Edit - I respect both of you and I wish you wouldn't go at it like this.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Victor Rask. he has the skills to be a top 3 player in this draft and my guess he goes in the 3rd round now.. (having a "lazy" year) but hey if we knew this we would be getting paid by the nhl teams instead of trying to desperately be accepted by an online forum ^_^

At the start of the season from RLR I saw him rated 7th, I haven't seen him top 3 I don't think, do you have a source, or is it your view?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I like the future of Sweden.We might not have the Forsbergs and Lidstroms, but a series of great talents coming up.We will win the Olympics in 2018, remember my words;)

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
At the start of the season from RLR I saw him rated 7th, I haven't seen him top 3 I don't think, do you have a source, or is it your view?

Well it is young men we are talking about .. There 'was' a time T Hall was the next "great one" (I think hes a 40 /50 G player / DAMN good).. it was this time last year Rask was a top pick def top 5. and to be fair he was a kid doing everything right in a mens league... near ppg in SuperElit isnt anything to laugh at this year .. but again I state we are all just lovers of this sport and my view is just that. if you ask ME ( lover of the spot drafted 6th round never made it pro) Adam Larsson is best player by far this year (Rask steal IF!! late 2nd-3rd round) but this is what makes hockey the best sport its not the "best" player on the bored like b ball/ Foot ball)worst draft ever!) But what fits the team the best that gets drafted every year.

But to the response i can find anything now but there was a time V Rask was a top pick.. (top 10) I will look harder for source in the morning,
but hey views are views and thats what we love about this place.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Well it is young men we are talking about .. There 'was' a time T Hall was the next "great one" (I think hes a 40 /50 G player / DAMN good).. it was this time last year Rask was a top pick def top 5. and to be fair he was a kid doing everything right in a mens league... near ppg in SuperElit isnt anything to laugh at this year .. but again I state we are all just lovers of this sport and my view is just that. if you ask ME ( lover of the spot drafted 6th round never made it pro) Adam Larsson is best player by far this year (Rask steal IF!! late 2nd-3rd round) but this is what makes hockey the best sport its not the "best" player on the bored like b ball/ Foot ball)worst draft ever!) But what fits the team the best that gets drafted every year.

But to the response i can find anything now but there was a time V Rask was a top pick.. (top 10) I will look harder for source in the morning,
but hey views are views and thats what we love about this place.

Are you sure that NHL teams at least in the 1st round don't draft the best player available, because I thought that's what they did do, and not draft for team needs usually?

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Are you sure that NHL teams at least in the 1st round don't draft the best player available, because I thought that's what they did do, and not draft for team needs usually?

Nah Nba/ Nfl are allot different drafts I remember B/C nba like 2 years ago in the draft made a point to state the difference in the drafting processes . / joke is on them now (new cba will go well plz!!) good example of this will be Cam Fowler "top 3" / Schroeder "top 10" last couple of years.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

ISS August ranking (month by month provided by Tormentor). Rask was #3.

Also, as a response to Predsrule: It's the NHL draft that has a distinct BPA handling of picks, while the NFL and NBA are more a BPA-in-a-position-of-need (especially NFL). Sometimes the BPA is a player in a position of need, sometimes it isn't.

The reason is simple. Players picked in the NHL draft are younger and most will take a longer time to develop and be ready for the NHL than in the other two leagues mentioned. And by the time they're ready, the positional needs for your NHL team might have changed.

There is, however, evidence to support that BPA vs need is atleast discussed in NHL scouting staffs. In the behind the scenes with the Oilers, 'Oil Change', we saw they were discussing who to pick of the forward Pitlick or the defenseman Marincin at #31 after selecting the forward Hall at #1. They went with who they felt was the BPA.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Easy one. Not only this year, but in the years to come. Russians will be picked low because of the uncertainty about their coming over to NA. Kucherov and Grigorenko this year. If you look at the last year's draft. Kuznetsov is definitely not 26th pick talent. So it's if they decide to come to NA they all could become real draft steals.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Easy one. Not only this year, but in the years to come. Russians will be picked low because of the uncertainty about their coming over to NA. Kucherov and Grigorenko this year. If you look at the last year's draft. Kuznetsov is definitely not 26th pick talent. So it's if they decide to come to NA they all could become real draft steals.
just about right to pick one late in the second this yr. right aroud where the pen's are picking. :)

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
ISS August ranking (month by month provided by Tormentor). Rask was #3.

Also, as a response to Predsrule: It's the NHL draft that has a distinct BPA handling of picks, while the NFL and NBA are more a BPA-in-a-position-of-need (especially NFL). Sometimes the BPA is a player in a position of need, sometimes it isn't.

The reason is simple. Players picked in the NHL draft are younger and most will take a longer time to develop and be ready for the NHL than in the other two leagues mentioned. And by the time they're ready, the positional needs for your NHL team might have changed.

There is, however, evidence to support that BPA vs need is atleast discussed in NHL scouting staffs. In the behind the scenes with the Oilers, 'Oil Change', we saw they were discussing who to pick of the forward Pitlick or the defenseman Marincin at #31 after selecting the forward Hall at #1. They went with who they felt was the BPA.

I know this question must have been asked before, but I haven't seen it, at least not for awhile, why does the NHL start drafting at 17/18 instead of 19/20 when players are more developed and NHL teams have a better gauge on them, it to me would make scouts jobs easier?

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Grigorenko is 2012.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
For what it is worth......

RNH did not have a poor playoff......not huge points....double coverage.
Anyone who watched those games saw that he was one of the best players on the ice.
"Mr. Bugg" happens to attend tons of games....live and knows hockey amongst the best of them.

My 2 cents.

Kennholt

Mar 6, 2011
Stockholm
John Norman. 2-way center with great hockey iq and skating abilty.
Posted 17(8 + 9) points his first real season with the senior team in the SEL.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
I know this question must have been asked before, but I haven't seen it, at least not for awhile, why does the NHL start drafting at 17/18 instead of 19/20 when players are more developed and NHL teams have a better gauge on them, it to me would make scouts jobs easier?

An adult (18 yrs old) has a right to earn a living. I believe that is what has come out of a court ruling. Go figure, sports is not a conventional job.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
2011 Late Round steals?

Who is projected to go late in this draft who may turn out to be huge steals like we have seen in the past?

Guys ranked from say the 4th to 7th rd.

Maybe guys from small cities who alot of us dont see play, or maybe a guy who will fall because of size or attitude problems.

Analyzer*

A player who last year was ranked higher, but because of injury, or just an off year dropped.

Kind of cruel to say, but a player who suffered a loss (family member) who struggles through it and doesn't do as well because of it could be a good pick up, too.

That reminded me of Benoit Pouliot's story... So sad. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad