Who will be the steal of the draft?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Adam Lowry. Feel free to bring up this thread in 5 years. Kid will be a 25 goal scoring PWF.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, I'll give you my pick after the draft, because IMO there are a couple guys that could fall into the 15-25 range, i.e. Puempel, that could be a steal in that range.

However, if someone is in love with him and takes him at say #9, he wouldn't really be a "steal" at that spot IMO.

Depending on how far guys fall, I think guys like Grimaldi, Scheifele, Puempel, etc. could all be steals. Also, all of the Russians ranked in the top 60 could be steals, regardless of whether they play in Russia or NA, simply because they fall for reasons other than skill level.

I'm a pretty big fan of Khokhlachev, so he would be my pick.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
'd say someone we haven't heard of..that's what would make him a steal. Ok, so if I have to name someone, I'd offer up these two names:

Rocco Grimaldi. Why: because the kid is flat out talented. Teams may likely shy away because of his 5'6" frame forcing him to drop to someplace in the 2nd round and likely to a team that has multiple 2nd round picks and is willing to take a chance. If he has the smarts to go with that talent, it's possible he could work his way into an NHL lineup where that skill could take over. Could you image him skating between Chara's legs to score a goal? LOL.

Samu Perhonen. Why: It doesn't seem like a strong draft for goalies and I doubt even one of the Gibson's is selected in the 1st round. Last year saw Campbell, who was exceptional go early and Visentin was a bit of a head shaker when PHX took him with their 2nd 1st round pick. That said, a goalie could emerge as a star player and would likely be drafted further down (such as with Henrik Lundquist in the 7th round). Perhonen has the skills but must develop the consistency. If he puts the total package together, he could be an NHL starting goalie down the road and likely won;t get picked until the late 2nd or 3rd round at best. That could be a steal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Joel Edmundson from WHL
Austen Brassard from OHL
Phillip Danault from LJMHQ
Reid Boucher from USHL

Also look for William Kessel, Green Bay. [USHL]

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
Couple of players projected in the late 1st early 2nd range come to me as players who can be just as good as some of the top guys....

Jaskin, Noesen

(oh and Marc, it is looking like Scheifele will land 8-15 IMO in the draft, no need to wait years)

HabsFanFromOntario

May 7, 2011
Im on the Schiefele boat, but I have been since I was 8. This kid is phenomenal, and will only get better under Dale Hawerchuck. Not to mention is, he comes from the same city as Hall of Famer Scott Stevens! Go Habs go!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty hard to argue that choice.....good player.

Is there a major flaw with his game? I heard skating or hockey sense really lacks.

Leo we forgot Forsberg who I think is another dub player will surprise a lot of people in the NHL as a really good shutdown guy, Douglas Murray type.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Sproul: He'd be rated a lot higher if he was given an opportunity a lot early. His story of perseverance always gets me and i feel his dedication will take him far. Once he was given a chance he ran away with it and moved up quite a few rounds (i think at one point he wasnt even rated). This guy will be a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad