Who will be the steal of the draft?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
As much as people will try and get at you for a post like this I agree with everything said here. Although it's not as simplistic as just outscoring one player or another. I do think Strome will be better than RNH and Huberdeau, and Landeskog could be the best player in the draft (but so could a number of others like Hamilton, Couturier and Strome...those are my top 4 though.)

But I've been saying this stuff for a long time now.

Well I haven't heard it, instead of just saying that Strome is better than R. N-H without any backup to that statement, I would like to hear why he is?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
As much as people will try and get at you for a post like this I agree with everything said here. Although it's not as simplistic as just outscoring one player or another. I do think Strome will be better than RNH and Huberdeau, and Landeskog could be the best player in the draft (but so could a number of others like Hamilton, Couturier and Strome...those are my top 4 though.)

Give me a break. The only reason you are saying Strome will be better than RNH is because the Sens will probably draft Strome. Seriously, Strome is one of my favourite prospects but to say he will be better than RNH is laughable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well I haven't heard it, instead of just saying that Strome is better than R. N-H without any backup to that statement, I would like to hear why he is?

What kind of back-up do you have that RNH is better? Take away rankings that have been released and go by what you've actually seen. Can you say with certainty that RNH is better, or has more upside, than Strome? Ultimately it's just my opinion but it's something I've been adamant about for a long time. I think RNH has vision and mobility, but Strome has everything else on RNH (shooting, passing, puck carrying ability, and size.) Strome is also the youngest of the top prospects, and has had the least of the development opportunities. Strome was a 3rd/4th liner last year playing limited minutes while guys like RNH, Couturier, Landeskog and Huberdeau were getting better opportunities (the Canadian teams, etc.) Obviously those guys are great talents, but I think that RNH is just starting to show what he can really become with his type of work ethic and talent.

Give me a break. The only reason you are saying Strome will be better than RNH is because the Sens will probably draft Strome. Seriously, Strome is one of my favourite prospects but to say he will be better than RNH is laughable.

:shakehead

I've been saying this since Ottawa was last place in the league and it looked like there was no hope of climbing out of that basement. It's nothing new and has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Ottawa drafts Strome (in fact I have my doubts they will.)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What kind of back-up do you have that RNH is better? Take away rankings that have been released and go by what you've actually seen. Can you say with certainty that RNH is better, or has more upside, than Strome? Ultimately it's just my opinion but it's something I've been adamant about for a long time. I think RNH has vision and mobility, but Strome has everything else on RNH (shooting, passing, puck carrying ability, and size.) Strome is also the youngest of the top prospects, and has had the least of the development opportunities. Strome was a 3rd/4th liner last year playing limited minutes while guys like RNH, Couturier, Landeskog and Huberdeau were getting better opportunities (the Canadian teams, etc.) Obviously those guys are great talents, but I think that RNH is just starting to show what he can really become with his type of work ethic and talent.

I've been saying this since Ottawa was last place in the league and it looked like there was no hope of climbing out of that basement. It's nothing new and has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Ottawa drafts Strome (in fact I have my doubts they will.)

Nope

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

1. Are you just as bad as bluechip. I only have the majority to back me up, nothing much really. :sarcasm:

2. I admit I haven't seen Strome, but it's only because where I live I can't see the OHL, he may or may not be the next Skinner, I've heard he's pretty weak physically, from what I've seen of N-H I find it hard to believe that there is a better player out there, the guy is just practically uncheckable, and what he does with the puck is superior than anyone, and that's what I said about him last season.

3. Glad you admit it.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Very insightful.

I admit I haven't seen Strome, but it's only because where I live I can't see the OHL, he may or may not be the next Skinner, I've heard he's pretty weak physically, from what I've seen of N-H I find it hard to believe that there is a better player out there, the guy is just practically uncheckable, and what he does with the puck is superior than anyone, and that's what I said about him last season.

How can you compare to a guy you haven't seen? He isn't weak physically. He isn't overly physical, but he's stronger on the puck than say Hopkins who uses his mobility to avoid being checked, but he already plays protected minutes 5 on 5 in the juniors and has a hard time scoring at even strength. Things are much tighter and much faster in the NHL and I don't think that RNH is going to be able to translate his game as well as Strome can. Strome has the passing, vision, and skating ability to thrive at the NHL level, but he also brings with him an NHL caliber slap-shot and awareness. His puck carrying is really impressive and he's dynamic offensively in that he always finds different ways to attack and adapt to the opponent.

Strome also just has the bigger frame and has been chippy at times in the OHL. He put up nearly twice as many ES points as RNH this year IIRC, in what many regard as the most competitive junior league.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very insightful.

Pretty much everyone out there knows that RNH's passing and vision is head and shoulders above the rest of the players this year. I will give Strome the edge in goal scoring, agility and likely even skating, but definitely not passing.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
My guess for biggest steal is Justin Thomas from the Soo Greyhounds. There wwas some talk early on that he could go in the 2nd round, but had shoulder surgery, so his stock fell dramatically. I strongly suggest a team take a flyer on this kid from the 4th round on. Big, tough, skilled winger.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Very insightful.

How can you compare to a guy you haven't seen? He isn't weak physically. He isn't overly physical, but he's stronger on the puck than say Hopkins who uses his mobility to avoid being checked, but he already plays protected minutes 5 on 5 in the juniors and has a hard time scoring at even strength. Things are much tighter and much faster in the NHL and I don't think that RNH is going to be able to translate his game as well as Strome can. Strome has the passing, vision, and skating ability to thrive at the NHL level, but he also brings with him an NHL caliber slap-shot and awareness. His puck carrying is really impressive and he's dynamic offensively in that he always finds different ways to attack and adapt to the opponent.

Strome also just has the bigger frame and has been chippy at times in the OHL. He put up nearly twice as many ES points as RNH this year IIRC, in what many regard as the most competitive junior league.

1. That's not what I've heard.

2. N-H has most of those things, plus he doesn't need at least 1 of them because he can do something Strome can't, and that's elude checks, I think N-H is better defensively as well from what I've read, also I find that WHL guys have a much easier time adapting to NHL play than OHL guys because of the more physical play.

3. So being chippy and having bigger frame makes him better does it, I think not?

aspydad

May 19, 2011
A kid that I think may be a steal is Pat Koudys who played at RPI this year. When you watch him play on a consistent basis you are impressed with the kid's hockey IQ. I can see him going in the early second. If you're picking on character this kid is a can't miss. A nice article on him just came out. I would not be surprised to see him move up the board.

http://thehockeywriters.com/patrick-koudys-the-next-draft-steal/

He played at the NHL Research, Development and Orientation Camp so someone has there eye on him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

It's very close between players, but I would take RNH and Huberdeau 10 out of 10 times if I was in the top 5 imo.

I'm with scoutman, I believe Huberdeau will be the most point productive player out of this draft.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Pretty much everyone out there knows that RNH's passing and vision is head and shoulders above the rest of the players this year. I will give Strome the edge in goal scoring, agility and likely even skating, but definitely not passing.

Well, I don't agree. I think he sees the ice really well but his passing isn't up to his vision in terms of talent level. If it were I believe he would be more effective 5v5. As it is when he has the open ice on powerplays he tends to rack up the assists because he can make better use of his vision.

Strome doesn't see the ice quite as well but his vision is up there, he's just better at passing and working in traffic. Both have good awareness.

RNH has better agility but Strome is the faster skater and the better puck carrier IMO.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Well, I don't agree. I think he sees the ice really well but his passing isn't up to his vision in terms of talent level. If it were I believe he would be more effective 5v5. As it is when he has the open ice on powerplays he tends to rack up the assists because he can make better use of his vision.

Strome doesn't see the ice quite as well but his vision is up there, he's just better at passing and working in traffic. Both have good awareness.

RNH has better agility but Strome is the faster skater and the better puck carrier IMO.

All well and good. And for the record I really like Strome too. When the Avs were set to be picking around 6-7-8, he was the guy I wanted hands down. But things changed.

I guess we'll just have to see who makes it to next level and becomes the better player. ;)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
1. That's not what I've heard.

2. N-H has most of those things, plus he doesn't need at least 1 of them because he can do something Strome can't, and that's elude checks, I think N-H is better defensively as well from what I've read, also I find that WHL guys have a much easier time adapting to NHL play than OHL guys because of the more physical play.

3. So being chippy and having bigger frame makes him better does it, I think not?

So you're going by hearsay, and providing no actual substance in your post. Strome rarely, if ever, gets checked and when he does it isn't a big one. RNH might be slightly better defensively, but Strome is underrated in that respect as most of his defensive play comes from causing trouble in the neutral zone with his stick and making the quiet plays in the defensive zone. He's no defensive stalwart by any means, but he's not a defensive liability either.

I'm not talking about RNH not having those things -- I'm saying that Strome's on a higher level than RNH in those specific categories.

There are more top level OHL players in the NHL than WHL players, so your findings are incorrect.

All well and good. And for the record I really like Strome too. When the Avs were set to be picking around 6-7-8, he was the guy I wanted hands down. But things changed.

I guess we'll just have to see who makes it to next level and becomes the better player. ;)

Agreed. I can't wait to see these guys progress. This is my first year of actually really closely following prospects so I could be way off. I like to think I'm very observant though and I did make a big effort to watch the top prospects as much as possible (as well as a few guys that caught my eye like Jenner and St. Croix.) I'm not so prideful that I can't admit when I'm wrong -- so if Strome doesn't live up to what I think I will gladly eat crow.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com

Strome can't elude checks?

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
Agreed. I can't wait to see these guys progress. This is my first year of actually really closely following prospects so I could be way off. I like to think I'm very observant though and I did make a big effort to watch the top prospects as much as possible (as well as a few guys that caught my eye like Jenner and St. Croix.) I'm not so prideful that I can't admit when I'm wrong -- so if Strome doesn't live up to what I think I will gladly eat crow.

Fresh eyes are good. You're judging things based on what you see, rather than what other people say.

Honestly, I'd much rather listen to someone who trusts their eyes and argues their case and ends up being wrong than someone who goes by what he's read and ends up being right.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
So you're going by hearsay, and providing no actual substance in your post. Strome rarely, if ever, gets checked and when he does it isn't a big one. RNH might be slightly better defensively, but Strome is underrated in that respect as most of his defensive play comes from causing trouble in the neutral zone with his stick and making the quiet plays in the defensive zone. He's no defensive stalwart by any means, but he's not a defensive liability either.

I'm not talking about RNH not having those things -- I'm saying that Strome's on a higher level than RNH in those specific categories.

There are more top level OHL players in the NHL than WHL players, so your findings are incorrect.

1. Sorry if I don't have the quote on hand, and I'm also going by your hearsay as well, so it works both ways.

2. I did not say that there weren't more top level OHL players playing in the NHL, I said some OHL players like Tavares have a harder time adapting to the physical play in the NHL than if they had been playing in the WHL instead.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
2. I did not say that there weren't more top level OHL players playing in the NHL, I said some OHL players like Tavares have a harder time adapting to the physical play in the NHL than if they had been playing in the WHL instead.

That used to be true, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Honestly, I think the biggest difference between the OHL and WHL is the heightened American influence in the OHL bringing up the overall talent level.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That used to be true, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Honestly, I think the biggest difference between the OHL and WHL is the heightened American influence in the OHL bringing up the overall talent level.

The defensemen are much bigger and teams have more defensive systems in the dub than OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad