Speculation: Who will be the Sens next captain ‘’C’’

Who will be the Sens next captain ‘’C’’

• Total voters

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Chabot for marketability

How is Chabot more "marketable" than Tkachuk?

I think people need to toss aside this odd notion that people who live in Ottawa favour French Canadian players over players from other countries.

Two of our most popular captains ever were both swedish born, it had no affect on attracting or detracting the fanbase.

Reactions: Sweatred

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How is Chabot more "marketable" than Tkachuk?

I think people need to toss aside this odd notion that people who live in Ottawa favour French Canadian players over players from other countries.

Two of our most popular captains ever were both swedish born, it had no affect on attracting or detracting the fanbase.

Seeing as we’ve never had a francophone Captain, I’m not sure how you can make this point.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Either of them seem like great picks from the outside, and it’s kinda hard to speculate which would be better unless you’re actually in the room. From the outside it just kinda seems like a leadership style difference between the two. Do you take Brady, the excitable, guns blazing high energy guy, or Chabot, the laid back calm guy. Both are legit leadership styles.

That said, Chabot had already committed to the franchise for 8 years, which to me is a big deal. I don’t think we’ll have any issue getting Brady signed, but Chabot’s 8 year extension was a big move for the credibility of the rebuild, and I think that’s something to be considered depending on how Brady’s negotiations go.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Seeing as we’ve never had a francophone Captain, I’m not sure how you can make this point.

That was not the intention of my post.

I was insinuating that this franchise has had plenty of success without a francophone captain, therefore, is the viability or sustainability of this franchise really hinging on the nationality of the team captain?

If the Ottawa Senators franchise is struggling due to the few thousand extra fans we might gain from throwing the C on Chabot, then we are in alot more trouble than we think.

Reactions: aragorn

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This might be the worst take I've seen on these boards, which is saying something.

I actually don't disagree with the take, personally.

I don't want my Captain to be an instigator or a pest but that's exactly how I want Brady Tkachuk to play. I don't want Brady to feel like he has to rein himself in and be more responsible.

Chabot will be on the ice for a good 26 minutes a game anyway. He's a good candidate.

I"m not going to lose sleep over either guy, but I do have a preference.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That was not the intention of my post.

I was insinuating that this franchise has had plenty of success without a francophone captain, therefore, is the viability or sustainability of this franchise really hinging on the nationality of the team captain?

If the Ottawa Senators franchise is struggling due to the few thousand extra fans we might gain from throwing the C on Chabot, then we are in alot more trouble than we think.

Having a Francophone captain would be nice from a marketability perspective, especially if the Senators want to get more fans out of Gatineau. With how attendance has been, it is certainly something the Sens should consider.

However that is only one factor to consider. Tkachuk has a marketability Chabot doesn't have in terms of being an "easier player to like".

At the end of the day these are just items on a list to consider. I doubt marketability will be a deciding factor as to who gets the C.

To me the big factor is that Chabot is signed to long-term deal and Tkachuk is not. I'd rather not lose a popular captain yet again so, with how things stand, I'd give it to Chabot.

If both were signed long-term I'd give it to Tkachuk: he is a prototypical captain in that his attitude clearly influences his teammates in a positive way.

If Tkachuk gets the C, then I think it means management is very confident in their ability to retain him so hopefully that is what happens.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Love Tkachuk's game, but he can't lead a team from the penalty box.

Sure you can, it's not like he is going to be in there all game long. Lots of captains get penalties, in fact, some penalties inspire the team especially after a fight. I'm not even sure Chabot would want to be the captain, he seems to shy & quiet to me.

Having a Francophone captain would be nice from a marketability perspective, especially if the Senators want to get more fans out of Gatineau. With how attendance has been, it is certainly something the Sens should consider.

However that is only one factor to consider. Tkachuk has a marketability Chabot doesn't have in terms of being an "easier player to like".

At the end of the day these are just items on a list to consider. I doubt marketability will be a deciding factor as to who gets the C.

To me the big factor is that Chabot is signed to long-term deal and Tkachuk is not. I'd rather not lose a popular captain yet again so, with how things stand, I'd give it to Chabot.

If both were signed long-term I'd give it to Tkachuk: he is a prototypical captain in that his attitude clearly influences his teammates in a positive way.

If Tkachuk gets the C, then I think it means management is very confident in their ability to retain him so hopefully that is what happens.

I'm not sure about this, we've heard it for yrs, in fact the whole time we have had a team, this org has been trying to market to the francophone population in Gatineau & it hasn't really worked. The VAST majority of francophone hockey fans are Montreal fans, I know dozens of them & they are not going to change because of Chabot or any other francophone playing in Ottawa or being our captain. Ottawa has had plenty of good French players & that didn't translate into huge ticket sales.

They have a great deal of respect for the great francophone players from the past like Mario Lemieux, Lacavalier & numerous others who have played in the NHL for other teams but that didn't turn them into fans of those other teams either. Pageau was the one player at development camp the yr we drafted him who had the most fans ever come out to see just him. And he seemed to sell a lot of tickets to fans who went to games to chant his name, he was huge here because he played for the Gatineau Olympique & they loved him. But even a lot of those fans stayed Montreal fans & I doubt a lot of them come back now that he has been traded.

It's a great notion to have Gatineau/Outaouais people come out to games & some do, but I doubt they can get enough to make a big difference. The population around the arena is growing in leaps & bounds & there are plenty of people to support this team if they want to. IMO winning is the only thing that will bring casual fans out to games, Once they start winning, the fans will come back especially once they are able to contend for a SC.

Reactions: Sweatred

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Alfie and Karlsson were both considered quiet, lead by example leaders, and they were excellent captains from the outside looking in, so I don't see that as an issue with Chabot.

Reactions: StephenReis

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I dont see how i can decide until i find out which one throws the better party as that is one of the prime jobs as captain. :) I'd be ok with either one as captain. The more interesting question to me is who should decide? Player vote for who is their real leader or organizational marketing decision? (Not to dismiss the importance of marketing decisions.)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I dont see how i can decide until i find out which one throws the better party as that is one of the prime jobs as captain. :) I'd be ok with either one as captain. The more interesting question to me is who should decide? Player vote for who is their real leader or organizational marketing decision? (Not to dismiss the importance of marketing decisions.)

I think the players should vote.. then tell Dorion who will tell Melnyk .. who will tell Dorion that he disagrees and they have to redo it; and Dorion will make up some BS story defending Melnyk. Boro is the next captain

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sure you can, it's not like he is going to be in there all game long. Lots of captains get penalties, in fact, some penalties inspire the team especially after a fight. I'm not even sure Chabot would want to be the captain, he seems to shy & quiet to me.

I'm not sure about this, we've heard it for yrs, in fact the whole time we have had a team, this org has been trying to market to the francophone population in Gatineau & it hasn't really worked. The VAST majority of francophone hockey fans are Montreal fans, I know dozens of them & they are not going to change because of Chabot or any other francophone playing in Ottawa or being our captain. Ottawa has had plenty of good French players & that didn't translate into huge ticket sales.

I really think Lafreniere could have been that player.

How many kids in school would want his jersey? And then drag their parents out to the games.

Grrrrrr.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I think the players should vote.. then tell Dorion who will tell Melnyk .. who will tell Dorion that he disagrees and they have to redo it; and Dorion will make up some BS story defending Melnyk. Boro is the next captain

lol sounds worryingly plausible. Although i'd be ok with Boro as captain next year since the year if it even happens will be weird and likely full of losing. So no sense in putting Brady or Hotsam as the face of that mess. If its a good year for a captain at all.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think it'll be another year of As and waiting it out to see what kind of contract Brady signs.

I also wonder whether what the individual player wants is considered. Who knows, Chabot may have no interest and Tkachuk may be dying for the job.

I remember years back with Chara, he wanted to be captain and that wasn't going to happen here

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
For all of Brady’s antics he also shows restraint and timing. He is an excellent choice for captain and I bet every player on the team wants him on the ice with them every shift.

At 20 years old he has already become the teams guardian. His presence alone will protect our kids and the “C” on his jersey is the sign the organization will support him doing so. Take a cheap shot at one of our players and Brady will return the favour to one of yours. He will play against other teams best players so every team will know what that means.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The way the game is played these days, I don't want a blueliner to have the C. The game is so fast, and with replays and analysis the way it is, defensemen already have a huge weight on their shoulders. I don't like the idea of adding more with the C...especially for a young guy like Chabot.

At the same time, I don't like the thought of Brady being shackled a bit by the C, either. He needs to be a pest and freewheelin' it to play his best. Captains can't really do that.

These two kids are amazing players and I want both in Ottawa for a long time....but both with A's.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Love Tkachuk's game, but he can't lead a team from the penalty box.

Tkachuk will lead from wherever he is. Hes a unique player and not just a pest that needs his teammates to answer for him, and rarely is he taking selfish penalties that hurt his team.

If hes in the box it's usually from a battle of some kind that hes gotten himself into (that proabably also raised the intensity level of the game and his teammates).

Hes got a prescence and his energy is like radioactive and always leaking onto his teammates, and it's a real sign of leadership that when he gets going, he can drag his whole team into the fight along with him.

If he was a cheap artist I would agree that he should focus on being a pest, and not captain material. Like say his brother at the moment. But that's not really Brady at all.

Hes getting all of the attention because hes a physical monster that doesnt shy away from anything in the slightest. Hes brave and has the tools to back up every ounce of that brash attitude of his. And he does it all fairly cleanly for the most part, which is really the main point here.

I dunno maybe its because I come from a military family and I've seen many of these types before, but Brady is just a natural squad leader type that other men gladly want to follow into battle. Hes never going to ask his men to do something that he wouldn't do himself, and you know that hes gonna be fighting in the vanguard should any kind of donnybrook erupt on the ice. Everyone stands a little taller and battles a little harder with a guy like him leading the way and setting the example.

And to me hes the very obvious choice for our next captain.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad