Speculation: Who will be the Sens next captain ‘’C’’

Who will be the Sens next captain ‘’C’’

• Total voters

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
With Chabot being bilingual does anyone if the Sens used it to their advantage to attract or build fans across the river?

How does Chabot being the C versus an A impact his ability to attract fans across the river?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The captaincy is over rated in my opinion so I'm kind of indifferent. I'm leaning towards Chabot but if the " C" is what it takes to sign Tkachuk long term I'd be OK with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BatherSeason

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
How does Chabot being the C versus an A impact his ability to attract fans across the river?
Notice how I didn't mention anything about the letter on his jersey.

This was more of a question that was drawn from his bilingualism being brought up in this thread.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
People are just grasping for straws now to oversell Tkachuk - its a sad comedy

He bring nothing to the table from an elite skill-set stand point, so they are selling stories as to how good of a leader Brady is, which in reality is the furthest thing from the truth.

By this logic Boro, Matt Carkner or Chris Neil should've been the Captain.

Most of NHL players play hard, game in game out. Does anyone remember Pageau? He plays hard. More than half this league plays just as hard as Brady, if not harder.

And, I must just had, It just seems that Brady is playing harder than he actually is because he's slow and sluggish. There is nothing smooth about his skating and stick-handling abilities

:help::huh::help::huh::skeptic::skeptic:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Please not Boro. I get that he is having his best year this year and he's a vet, but he'd still probably be the worst player in the history of the NHL to be a captain. I really don't want him to get something that keeps him from being potentially relegated to the press box when our younger players are coming in.

Chabot vs Tkachuk is the logical choice of course, but Sens are an illogical franchise. Gimme Chabot, I think his even keeled-ness would play well as a captain. Brady can have an A.

Come on now, many players similar to Boro or worse have been NHL captains. I’m not even sure he’d be the worst in Sens history. Just look at any expansion or rebuilding team and you’ll see those types of players as captains all over the place.

The point isn’t to get the best possible player and make him captain, the objective is to try to build a team culture which in the long run will lead to success. Culture issues are part of significant problems in Edmonton and Buffalo and seem to be a stain that’s incredibly hard to get rid of.

Building the right culture, which is one of the things the sens have been preaching, of course includes on-ice performance but also tons of off-ice issues. I’d argue that for a rebuilding team like the Sens who seem like they will be very young next season, the off-ice leadership will be even more important than the on-ice portion. We need a guy who will show the young guys the professional habits required to win in the league and who will help keep the young pups in line when required.

Here’s what Luke Richardson, himself a former captain while not being a tremendous on-ice contributor, had to say about Borowiecki’s leadership when he named him captain of the Binghamton senators a few years ago: http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/186/12473/130409 Luke Richardson on The Drive.mp3 (listen between the 7ish and 9ish minute marks).

You couldn’t get a more glowing review. He’s a pro’s pro and has been for years, he’s also one of the franchise leaders in investing sweat and blood equity into this team when it comes to sacrificing himself for the team and his teammates. Exactly the type of guy you want showing not only the young superstars, but the young role players what it takes to have a successful career.

I’d add that as much as I like how the Sens seem to play hard and bring the effort every night, and as hopeful as I am about our prospects and the potential draft picks coming in, I still think this team is a lock to pick in the lottery in 2020-2021. That’s not an ideal situation to have young guys taking on all the media responsibilities a captain has to deal with. Boro is great with media and can take the heat to shelter the young guys from that for a few more years.

Honestly I started out thinking Tkachuk should get it and I’m convincing myself Boro is a good option.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

He bring nothing to the table from an elite skill-set stand point, so they are selling stories as to how good of a leader Brady is, which in reality is the furthest thing from the truth.

Most of NHL players play hard, game in game out. Does anyone remember Pageau? He plays hard. More than half this league plays just as hard as Brady, if not harder.

And, I must just had, It just seems that Brady is playing harder than he actually is because he's slow and sluggish. There is nothing smooth about his skating and stick-handling abilities
Hmmmmm...... a derogatory view of BT. How surprising.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
What are you basing this on ?
A logical assumption. He has a very strong, confident personality; the type of guy who doesn't shy away from a challenge. I think he would look at himself as the type of guy who can fix things not run away from them. And he can see that this team is on the way up, especially with the 2020 draft coming up.
Also his Dad can advise him on the business of hockey after playing in places like Arizona, Winnipeg and Atlanta. Other than EM (!) , Ottawa is a pretty good place to play pro hockey.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This is a really tough look for you to wear dude. You know he is about to do something one one has ever done, 300 shots and 300 hits. So no half the league doesnt play just as hard as brady if not harder. You may not like the player, which is fine we are all entitled to our opinions but your post isnt in touch with the reality of the player.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Notice how I didn't mention anything about the letter on his jersey.

This was more of a question that was drawn from his bilingualism being brought up in this thread.

Actually no i hadn't noticed you didn't mention the C or A.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A logical assumption. He has a very strong, confident personality; the type of guy who doesn't shy away from a challenge. I think he would look at himself as the type of guy who can fix things not run away from them. And he can see that this team is on the way up, especially with the 2020 draft coming up.
Also his Dad can advise him on the business of hockey after playing in places like Arizona, Winnipeg and Atlanta. Other than EM (!) , Ottawa is a pretty good place to play pro hockey.
If they don’t get him signed for 8 years before training camp ends then I’ll put money on him never playing a UFA year in Ottawa.

Reactions: Matsens15

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I want it to be Tkachuk. I want our captain to be an asshole on the ice (and a good guy off of it). I want our team to look at how hard our captain plays, and play like him every game. I want the player with the most energy on the bench to wear the 'C' and I want that energy to feed into his teammates.

I will not be upset if Chabot is chosen, but we have had too many Captains with similar personalities to Chabot so I would like to try a different approach.

Reactions: Matsens15

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If they don’t get him signed for 8 years before training camp ends then I’ll put money on him never playing a UFA year in Ottawa.
Ya that could be, but if im Tkachuk i wouldn't sign this year. I'd bet on myself having a monster year next year. Major improvements in his game this year and i expect that will continue

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa

First of all, the comparison to Boro and Carkner is ridiculous. It was entirely possible that neither of those guys would make the NHL. As for Neil, look, I love Neiler. Dude kept on fighting AND beating guys who were bigger than himself. Commentators never called him a "heavyweight" when it came to fights (I heard him called a middleweight a couple times) but he still got stuck in with those bigger guys and beat them anyway. Tough as they come, no doubt.

But here's the thing bud. Neil played on the Sens during their best, most successful years. 2003 when they won the President's. 2007 when they went to the Finals. You know, that period of time when the Sens were an elite team with elite talents, and would often blow out opposing teams with their offense. Neil NEVER scored 20 goals in a season in his career.

As a rookie, is less than a full season (71 games as opposed to 82), on the team that finished dead last and was the only team to have a points percentage lower than .500, Brady scored 22. As a rookie. On by far the worst team in the league. And he has 20 already this year, and that's without having ice time with the likes of Mark Stone or Matt Duchene. He's FAR better than Chris Neil.

In regards to hard work, he has the second most hits in the league this year, and more than double the points of the guy who has the most hits. He works his ass off, and he's an effective player while doing it.

Don't need to grasp at straws. The STATS prove you wrong. Go ahead, argue with the numbers. I'll wait.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ya that could be, but if im Tkachuk i wouldn't sign this year. I'd bet on myself having a monster year next year. Major improvements in his game this year and i expect that will continue
If the team comes up with an 8M AAV and some minor SB maybe we lock him up.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I certainly don't want any more sheep as captains of this team, I want an alpha-wolf who will go through walls for his teammates & carry the team when necessary. While I like Boro a lot, I think the face & future of this team should be a warrior type of player & that's Tkachuk as Captain. IMO Tkachuk already has the respect of the media & hockey people in only his 2nd season.

I like Chabot a lot too, but he's to mild & meek to be captain IMO & I want a captain that the refs will pay attention to & opposing players fear. Refs are not going to pay any attention to a sheep & a sheep is not going to sway anyone to listen to them. Ottawa needs a wolf that people will listen to & pay attention to, a guy who is not afraid to get into anybody's grill.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
IMO two great choices. Either would be great for different reasons. Chabot is the best player imo. Both will be relied on for team success going forward. If I had to chose 1 it would be Chabot because he is calm , cool and collected plus he brings the push when we need it. Tkachuk is more emotional and he does lead but I like the edge and the lose cannon aspect of it . I would not want to possibly diminish that part of his game by putting a C on his sweater.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020

What the actual f*** is this shit?
If you need an explanation as to why Brady Kay is better than all those players you listed (Neil was actually a damn good player in his own right at his peak) then I don’t know what to tell you.
And slow and sluggish players don’t get open or create as much as Brady does, he may not look super elegant but watch him then watch what Tierny or some nonsense like Boedker fumble around. He’s a good player. Has the right attitude. Has charisma. Comes from a strong hockey background. He may never be a superstar but by that basis, there aren’t that many captain worthy players in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad