• Total voters

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
A22FC6E7-19C2-47F6-A663-4A8259BBF04D.jpeg
77447E7C-ADBB-4234-BFF8-0E30E52A44E3.jpeg

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Probably Chabot since I am scared Tkachuk won’t stay long term in this shit show.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Personally I will pick Chabot. First he is bilingual and second I always love a cornerstone D as a captain because imo defense win championships.

Reactions: StephenReis

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This team is taking on BT's personality and more often than not he seems like the straw that stirs the drink.

I have a couple of questions before I'd be comfortable with Brady getting the "C":

1) Will it effect his style of play (can the captain also be the teams pest/POS?)
2) What's his long term status with the team (is he going to take the Matt Tkachuk route?)

If he re-ups long-term in the summer and proves he can still play "his" game with the distraction of a letter I think he's the slam dunk choice. The "A" hasn't changed his style in the few games he's worn it, so I don't have too much of a question in that regard.

I think the team should go without a captain next season anyways and let it grow organically. Have Tkachuk, Chabot and Boro/Hainsey/C.Brown each wear an A and see which one of BT/TC emerges as the leader. There could even be a darkhorse candidate if guys like Batherson, Norris and Lafreniere/Byfield/Stuzle come in and light the world on fire immediately.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I want it to be Brady. He leads by example. A Dustin Brown type.
It could go to Chabot, as stated, bilingual.

It will end up with Borowiecki because f*** Melnyk and Dorion.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Chabot would be the perfect captain. This team needs to reach a fanbase outside of the city of Ottawa and they have failed miserably in trying to attract a fanbase on the Gatineau side of the river. Chabot can help with that. His play on the ice will speak for itself, once he is surrounded by some talented players. Great quiet leader who is on the ice for half the game.

Tkachuk would also be a solid choice, but he just leads regardless of the letter in his jersey.

Let's also remember that BT has yet to commit long-term. Chabot already has.

My vote is for Chabot, but it's close.

Reactions: Matsens15

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think the only real possibilities are Tkachuk, Chabot or Lafreniere. If we get 1OA, they'll wait until next summer at least to name a captain. Either way, I think Tkachuk is the right choice. Very few athletes have the leadership qualities he has at the age of 20, it's really impressive. And it'll only get better as he gains more experience.

Anyone around the league would admit that, despite being a bottom 3 team in the league, Ottawa has a major never-quit attitude this year. DJ is a big part of that, but so is Brady. He's genuinely noticable night in and night out, and in so many ways. Just drags his guys into the fight.

Chabot will be the "nicer" player, but Tkachuk has it all. They're on a similar level right now in terms of leadership, but Tkachuk is almost a full 3 years younger. Let that sink in.

Either way, both guys have great character and will spearhead a pretty solid young leadership group.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think the only real possibilities are Tkachuk, Chabot or Lafreniere. If we get 1OA, they'll wait until next summer at least to name a captain. Either way, I think Tkachuk is the right choice. Very few athletes have the leadership qualities he has at the age of 20, it's really impressive. And it'll only get better as he gains more experience.

Anyone around the league would admit that, despite being a bottom 3 team in the league, Ottawa has a major never-quit attitude this year. DJ is a big part of that, but so is Brady. He's genuinely noticable night in and night out, and in so many ways. Just drags his guys into the fight.

Chabot will be the "nicer" player, but Tkachuk has it all. They're on a similar level right now in terms of leadership, but Tkachuk is almost a full 3 years younger. Let that sink in.

Either way, both guys have great character and will spearhead a pretty solid young leadership group.

Chabot's leadership is more understated and dictated by his superb play and skating ability. He reminds me so much of Lidstrom.

Tkachuk is an in-your-face all the time kind of guy who loves the in-game bantering and jousting. He's certainly more of your rah-rah type of leader.

Very tough choice in my opinion. And thankfully a very good problem to have.

If we add Lafreniere in to the mix...

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’d like to see it go to Tkachuk, he leads this team into battle already and is the type of player I would like the team to emulate.

I want it to be Brady. He leads by example. A Dustin Brown type.
It could go to Chabot, as stated, bilingual.

It will end up with Borowiecki because f*** Melnyk and Dorion.

It could very well be Borowiecki. It wouldn’t be surprising for DJ Smith, a hard nosed, high effort style of player and coach to give the C to Borowiecki who by all accounts is one of the hardest working, most team-first guys this franchise has had. As much as I didn’t like him as a player last year I also have to give Boro his due and recognize that he stepped up his game this past season and has been more reliable. If he plays like he did this season, I have 0 problems with him playing in the Sens bottom pair and being a PK mainstay.

I’d also add that he’s a local kid, who will be longest tenured sen by training camp if he signs, who does good work in the community and who (in my view) consistently gives thoughtful and well reasoned responses when microphones are shoved in his face.

As much as his play has improved, I can’t imagine him playing more than 2-3 more years in the league so he would be a good temporary option to allow Chabot or Tkachuk or a draft pick to grow into the leadership role and take over the team as captain.

With the condition that it would be for two or three years max, I wouldn’t mind the option of Boro as captain.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdysi

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I'd also add that I don't think we'll see Tkachuk at his full potential until we make the playoffs. Chabot is a game-changer in terms of his play, but I think Brady has the ability to absolutely take over a series. Chabot could do the same ala EK 3 years ago, but Brady will physically and psychologically wear down the opponent over the 2 weeks, while still producing offensively.

Again a really tough choice, but a great one to have.

If Alexis enters the picture, I see him taking over the team as the face of the franchise, so who knows. But a leadership core of Alexis-Brady-Chabot (ABC?) would be among one of the best in the NHL.

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
Tough call, but I think it's going to be Tkachuk. He has that infectious work ethic and attitude every coach loves to preach about. Our new culture definitely seems to be revolving around him.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
People are just grasping for straws now to oversell Tkachuk - its a sad comedy

He bring nothing to the table from an elite skill-set stand point, so they are selling stories as to how good of a leader Brady is, which in reality is the furthest thing from the truth.

By this logic Boro, Matt Carkner or Chris Neil should've been the Captain.

Most of NHL players play hard, game in game out. Does anyone remember Pageau? He plays hard. More than half this league plays just as hard as Brady, if not harder.

And, I must just had, It just seems that Brady is playing harder than he actually is because he's slow and sluggish. There is nothing smooth about his skating and stick-handling abilities

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Please not Boro. I get that he is having his best year this year and he's a vet, but he'd still probably be the worst player in the history of the NHL to be a captain. I really don't want him to get something that keeps him from being potentially relegated to the press box when our younger players are coming in.

Chabot vs Tkachuk is the logical choice of course, but Sens are an illogical franchise. Gimme Chabot, I think his even keeled-ness would play well as a captain. Brady can have an A.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
With the way DJ Smith speaks about Brady being the emotional engine of the team, and how he never needs to fire him up to be ready to play, and how he drags the whole team into games by himself, I'd be stunned if Brady wasn't named Captain for the start of next season.

I'd get it if Chabot was named, but, in my opinion, this is Brady's team.

I think Toronto goofed by not naming Matthews captain. He had that summer underwear dance thing that got him in a bit of trouble and I think the team chose Tavares in a bit of a panic move (just my opinion), but the Leafs are Matthews team, and they didn't name him captain. Definite mistake.

Just give it to Brady. It makes the most sense. No one complained during Alfie's years that he was a bad captain because he didn't speak French. The team has always had francophone players in leadership roles, and Chabot can do that with the A on his chest.

Most importantly, I think this team needs to do what is best for the team in the room, especially in the rebuilding years, and having Brady lead the charge is the most obvious choice. Making the decision on who is captain based on the demographic of the fans should be a secondary consideration. Fix the team and the fans will come...wouldn't hurt if Eugene sold the team and never set foot in Ottawa again...but fixing the team would be a good start.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

He bring nothing to the table from an elite skill-set stand point, so they are selling stories as to how good of a leader Brady is, which in reality is the furthest thing from the truth.

Most of NHL players play hard, game in game out. Does anyone remember Pageau? He plays hard. More than half this league plays just as hard as Brady, if not harder.

And, I must just had, It just seems that Brady is playing harder than he actually is because he's slow and sluggish. There is nothing smooth about his skating and stick-handling abilities
What?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
With Chabot being bilingual does anyone if the Sens used it to their advantage to attract or build fans across the river?

Reactions: HSF

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Why do you dislike him so much lol

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018

Are you Scott Laughton? Why do you hate Brady so much?

You have your right to your opinion, but I'd say 99.9% of the hockey community would disagree with you.

A) He has plenty of skill, just search Youtube. Maybe not that of a typical 4th overall, but still matches most top-line players in the NHL, while bringing more intangibles.

B) LOL @ you saying half the league works harder than Brady.

You probably haven't watched an actual NHL game in years

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

I don't think you need to be the best player to be the captain. If that was the case, then Patrick Kane would be captain in Chicago. Nick Foligno wouldn't have the C in Columbus either. Wheeler in Winnipeg...I'm sure there's more. But the decision definitely has more than just who has the best stick handling skills. That's a peewee hockey level way of picking who is the captain.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I’ll give you credit for consistency. No matter how often he proves you wrong you are staying the course. Good for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad