Who was the most effective pest for the Rangers?

Who was the most effective pest for the Rangers?

• Total voters

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
If you're including his time with the Oilers, I would give the nod to Tikkanen, but that's not the question.

As Rangers, I think there's some serious Cup bias here.

yeah, no bias from your end, hockey historians will think Sean Avery over Esa Tikkanen :rolleyes: An ahole vs a hockey player.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Here's another thing... Avery had 0.4659 points per game as a Ranger. Tikkanen had 0.4653. So Avery's time as a Ranger verrrry slightly outscored Tikkanen's. If you put any stock into the hockey-reference adjusted scoring, Avery had 0.489 and Tikkanen had 0.424.

and Marc Staal is a better fighter than Joey Kocur b/c Staal lost fewer fights. lol

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Again, Tikkanen had a better career and it's not even close. If we're talking about just as a Ranger, I give it to Avery... by the barest of margins.

Were you old enough to watch and understand what you were watching in the 1994 playoff?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

lol awesome. Rangers don’t win the Cup without him but yeah, Sean Avery lol. Real great player.

Wiki’s writeup is great. Esa has a notable achievement section with Avery nothing more than controversy.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
lol awesome. Rangers don’t win the Cup without him but yeah, Sean Avery lol. Real great player.

What does that have to do with anything? Tikkanen played on and contributed to a Presidents' Trophy winning powerhouse that was able to win a Cup on the offensive strength of a group of 6 that didn't include him. Avery never had an opportunity to do something like that. Put the prime Avery we got with the Rangers on the 94 team, and he probably contributes just as much as post-prime Tikkanen.

Which doesn't even matter. There's no part of what I'm saying that suggests Tikkanen wasn't good.

Reactions: Rangerfans

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
What does that have to do with anything? Tikkanen played on and contributed to a Presidents' Trophy winning powerhouse that was able to win a Cup on the offensive strength of a group of 6 that didn't include him. Avery never had an opportunity to do something like that. Put the prime Avery we got with the Rangers on the 94 team, and he probably contributes just as much as post-prime Tikkanen.

Which doesn't even matter. There's no part of what I'm saying that suggests Tikkanen wasn't good.

multiple times ranked in the top 3 for the Selke Trophy voting. Avery, nothing.

Put this question on the main board. The results would be hysterically one sided.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Wiki’s writeup is great. Esa has a notable achievement section with Avery nothing more than controversy.
Admittedly the sloppy seconds remark is pretty unforgettable. :laugh:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
multiple times ranked in the top 3 for the Selke Trophy voting. Avery, nothing.

Put this question on the main board. The results would be hysterically one sided.

For f***s' sake man. We're not talking about the full careers of either player.

Guess how many times Tikkanen ranked top-3 for the Selke as a Ranger?

Reactions: Siddi and its josh

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
For f***s' sake man. We're not talking about the full careers of either player.

Guess how many times Tikkanen ranked top-3 for the Selke as a Ranger?

Stanley Cup with the Rangers don’t count now? Oh yeah, Sean Avery. Career 5 playoff goals. He was in real demand across the league for his services right? A highly touted talent who just happened to be on bad teams right? I’ll take Esa, you can hang onto a punk who teams ignored come playoff time. He could never pull it off.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Stanley Cup with the Rangers don’t count now? Oh yeah, Sean Avery. Career 5 playoff goals. He was in real demand across the league for his services right? A highly touted talent who just happened to be on bad teams right? I’ll take Esa, you can hang onto a punk who teams ignored come playoff time. He could never pull it off.

Who isn't counting it? If we're talking about playoff performances... teams didn't ignore Avery. I'll give Tikkanen credit as being a major factor in the defeats of the Caps in 94 and the Panthers in 97. If I'm being generous, I'll add the Islanders in 94 to that list. I'll give Avery credit as being a major factor in the defeats of the Thrashers in 07 and the Devils in 08. So, slight advantage to Tikkanen in the playoffs.

However, the acquisition of Avery in 07 with 35% of the season to go single-handedly turned that team around. He gave the team a pretty big jolt when he came back in 09 as well. The Rangers' record with and without Avery in those three years was pretty staggering, IIRC. Tikkanen never meant as much to the fortunes of the Rangers as Avery did in the regular season. At least, that makes it a wash, in terms of their Rangers careers. I'm still giving the slight edge to Avery because we got to see how different the team was without him. Granted, we never really got the same kind of opportunity to see the Ranges without Tikkanen, but I'm going with it.

I have nothing but love for Tikkanen, though. So this conversation is a lot about nothing.

Reactions: Machinehead

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If you're including his time with the Oilers, I would give the nod to Tikkanen, but that's not the question.

As Rangers, I think there's some serious Cup bias here.
Tik was a complete player, Avery was not. Avery played for himself, Tik played for the team, it's why he had such a long career because teams actually wanted him. There's no cup bias, he was a complete player who took on shut down roles, if there's any bias in the thread it's recency bias. The two players arent even close as to what they could do on the ice. At times Avery couldnt even be trusted to be on the ice by the coaches, nobody ever said that about Tik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad