Who was the most effective pest for the Rangers?

Who was the most effective pest for the Rangers?

• Total voters

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Darius Kasparaitis a better pest for the Rangers than Avery? I think Avery is the best pest for the Rangers but can understand someone thinking other guys were better. Just not Kasparaitis, I don't see it.

all but one on the list are better players IMO. I think i mentioned it before. Avery is the Craig Carton of pests. He has a following yet most couldn’t think less of him.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
all but one on the list are better players IMO. I think i mentioned it before. Avery is the Craig Carton of pests. He has a following yet most couldn’t think less of him.
Yes, opponents of Avery clearly didn't give him a second thought. Solid opinion. Well done.

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020

I think the issue here is most people (going by the vote alone) think Avery is the best pest for the Rangers, which is the topic of the thread, and some people take that as Avery was a great player. Sounds like you hate Avery and wouldn't give him much credit for anything.

And why think so little of him? I don't understand the hate.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Yes, opponents of Avery clearly didn't give him a second thought. Solid opinion. Well done.

“Slopping seconds” makes for a better bumper sticker than a dope trying to play the role as well as the winners who played the role.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I saw I had a response from trueblue. Usually you're pretty reasonable but based on how the convo went earlier ITT all I could think was "Yea I don't give a shit" sorry if you said something worthwhile this time but I don't feel like risking aggravation from reading another dumb comment

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
He just hates Avery, which is fine. But as far as the question asked he has added almost nothing.

what would you like me to add? Facts which escape you?

Isles - Tikkanen dominated the boards against the hated Isles. Blasted a bomb past Hextall to deflate the Isles who were desperate entering Game 3

Caps - drove Mark Hunter nuts. Caused turnovers and havoc against the hated Caps. His defensive work wrecked the Caps

Devils - same work as above and kept the puck in against Fetisov for the Matteau game winner

Canucks - shut down Bure in Game 7 and got under Momesso’s skin the whole series. (HENCE. The most effective pest. Esa wears a ring).

but Yippie, Avery never shut his mouth and tackled a goalie who can barely move with all the pads. Oh, and he put his stick In Marty B’s face. Yippie.

I’ll take Domi’s antics over Avery. Heck, their stats are the same.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Isles - Tikkanen dominated the boards against the hated Isles. Blasted a bomb past Hextall to deflate the Isles who were desperate entering Game 3

Caps - drove Mark Hunter nuts. Caused turnovers and havoc against the hated Caps. His defensive work wrecked the Caps

Devils - same work as above and kept the puck in against Fetisov for the Matteau game winner

Canucks - shut down Bure in Game 7 and got under Momesso’s skin the whole series.

but Yippie, Avery never shut his mouth and tackled a goalie who can barely move with all the pads. Oh, and he put his stick In Marty B’s face. Yippie.

You're right. Avery was barely a hockey player OR a pest, much less one of the best to ever play that role with Rangers.

/thread

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
0C4C272B-7F76-46E5-979E-ADFFAA494709.jpeg
You're right. Avery was barely a hockey player OR a pest, much less one of the best to ever play that role with Rangers.

/thread

Avery - The Craig Carton of hockey players. Loud with a mindless following. I’ll take the Cup

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020

Canucks - shut down Bure in Game 7 and got under Momesso’s skin the whole series. (HENCE. The most effective pest. Esa wears a ring).

Out of the edits you just made and you kept Mark Hunter in.

Again, some of this stuff is all about Tikkanen being a better player, not about being a pest. For example, puck deflects off Tikkanen (huge play) and he was a great defensive player so that means he is the best pest and Avery sucks. Its not apples to apples.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Out of the edits you just made and you kept Mark Hunter in.

Again, some of this stuff is all about Tikkanen being a better player, not about being a pest. For example, puck deflects off Tikkanen (huge play) and he was a great defensive player so that means he is the best pest and Avery sucks. Its not apples to apples.

can’t type on this keyboard. Lol

Thread says “effective” pest. I’ll take Esa the pest and Cup. I’d say that’s pretty effective. Neil Smith broke up too much of the team right after the Cup including Esa and Keenan. The Rangers never recovered and kept trading away trying to replace what was lost.

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020
can’t type on this keyboard. Lol

Thread says “effective” pest. I’ll take Esa the pest and Cup. I’d say that’s pretty effective. Neil Smith broke up too much of the team right after the Cup including Esa and Keenan. The Rangers never recovered and kept trading away trying to replace what was lost.

I guess my point is that I am not disappointed one bit if Tikkanen goes down as the best pest. I loved what he brought to the team. But Avery's time with the Rangers was nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Why do you hate Avery so much? No one is kicking dirt on Tikkanen. You just hate him and you're beating your Craig Carton point to death. We heard you.

i don’t hate him. I know he talked a much bigger game than he played. He drew some penalties and took many dumb ones. Stop yapping and join the rush. He disrupted his own team too often. He was never in demand league wide as a pest who is necessary to win a Cup. He hurt the Rangers as often as he helped them.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I guess my point is that I am not disappointed one bit if Tikkanen goes down as the best pest. I loved what he brought to the team. But Avery's time with the Rangers was nothing to sneeze at.

i think his .10 cent head and fragile ego prevented him from maximizing his potential and really helping his team.

The Esa’s are pests yet score the big goal, make the big defensive play, etc. So did a Claude Lemieux who scored, hit, threw opponents off their game, etc.

So many played the role better than Avery IMO. He talked a lot, drew penalties and took too many dumb ones. Rarely a contributor to the offense and a few big checks don’t hide the defensive lapses. The most “effective” pest do it all and Avery talked a much bigger game than the best pests, Go look at Brad Marchant. That’s an effective pest.

Zoot Love

Jul 20, 2020
i think his .10 cent head and fragile ego prevented him from maximizing his potential and really helping his team.

The Esa’s are pests yet score the big goal, make the big defensive play, etc. So did a Claude Lemieux who scored, hit, threw opponents off their game, etc.

So many played the role better than Avery IMO. He talked a lot, drew penalties and took too many dumb ones. Rarely a contributor to the offense and a few big checks don’t hide the defensive lapses. The most “effective” pest do it all and Avery talked a much bigger game than the best pests, Go look at Brad Marchant. That’s an effective pest.

I think Claude Lemieux was the best ever, and way better than Avery, but he wasn't a Ranger so in terms of this discussion I will exclude him.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm all aboard the Tik bandwagon as well as the Avery one as well. I will add tho is anyone old enough to remember George McPhee and what an absolute detestable player he was for any of our opponents too have to deal with?

He may have been small in stature but pound for pound, McPhee might be the best figher the Rangers have ever had and he drove opposing players absolutaly nuts. Shit, I was at MSG at a playoff game vs the Flyers back in '86 when the Rangers made an amazing run to the ECF and the 5'10 170 lb soaking wet, somehow beat the crap out of and bloodied up the double the size of him, Rick Tocchet of the Flyers. One of the best moments I've ever witnessed in person in my entire Ranger almost 50 years of fandom.

Bottom line, McPhee needs to be in the conversation as one of the greatest pests in Ranger history...period end of story!

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm all aboard the Tik bandwagon as well as the Avery one as well. I will add tho is anyone old enough to remember George McPhee and what an absolute detestable player he was for any of our opponents too have to deal with?

He may have been small in stature but pound for pound, McPhee might be the best figher the Rangers have ever had and he drove opposing players absolutaly nuts. Shit, I was at MSG at a playoff game vs the Flyers back in '86 when the Rangers made an amazing run to the ECF and the 5'10 170 lb soaking wet, somehow beat the crap out of and bloodied up the double the size of him, Rick Tocchet of the Flyers. One of the best moments I've ever witnessed in person in my entire Ranger almost 50 years of fandom.

Bottom line, McPhee needs to be in the conversation as one of the greatest pests in Ranger history...period end of story!

Not old enough to remember McPhee's playing days. Searched up the video of the fight in question though. Glen Hanlon approves.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Not old enough to remember McPhee's playing days. Searched up the video of the fight in question though. Glen Hanlon approves.

Yup that was the fight I was referring too. What a glorious moment for us Ranger fans back than as the Flyers were just about as hated as the Islanders were for us. But man that George McPhee could really throw them down despite his size. Thx for posting as it brings back great memories.

And yeah I recall Hanlon going nuts on the bench as he was cursing the shit out of Keenan who didn't like the fact his protege Ted Sator was now coaching for the Rangers. Man what a night that was!

Reactions: Harbour Dog

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

McPhee was so tough. Forgot he fought Tocchet so hard. Tocchet was one of my all-time favorites b/c he could do it all. Score, pass, hit, fight,you name it. McPhee was great in that fight though. Thumbs up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->