Who was the most effective pest for the Rangers?

Who was the most effective pest for the Rangers?

• Total voters

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Avery, Tikkanen, and Barnaby immediately come to mind. All three were also good enough hockey players that you kind of wished they would leave the bullshit off the ice. Tikkanen probably caused the least frustration in that regard.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As a pest, Avery or Tikkanen.

As an overall player, Avery by far.

Avery was borderline elite at even strength in his first stint here.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
no, you can't just pick a stint.

Barnaby averaged 0.454 points per game with the Rangers and Avery averaged 0.447 points per game so very close numbers, but Avery probably played with better players and on a better team.

You asked who was the better PEST and then cited a .008 point per game difference as if production is the primary factor in being a pest. Avery, of the players presented, was the preeminent pest and as the poll shows, it’s not much of a contest.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People forget how good Avery was.

He drew 35 penalties in 07-08. Alex Ovechkin, probably the best drawer of penalties in NHL history, drew 43 that year in nearly twice the minutes.

The Rangers outscored opponents 3-2 with Avery on the ice that year.

MSG didn't spontaneously chant his name every night just because we was an asshole. The only other player I've seen them do that for in recent history is Hank.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Tikkanen played when games were ending 7-5.

So? What's the point he was a better player at both ends of the ice and it isn't even close, drew penalties without taking as many, especially of the bonehead variety, he was better in pretty much every way. Nobody outside of diehard Avery fans would take him over Tik, teams wanted Tik because he helped them win, Avery was all about Avery.

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think Avery was a better player as a Ranger. Tikkanen had a better career. I think people forget how little Tikkanen actually played for the Rangers.

Tikkanen, btw, was great defensively in the 94 playoffs and a big disappointment offensively.

Reactions: Machinehead

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

lol, Avery elite lol??

Esa Tikkanen is far and away the better player. It’s not even close TBH

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Just hopped in to check on the thread, this was one of the first posts that I hadn’t read, and I knew exactly how the rest of the stuff I didn’t read yet was going to go

(by the way, I’m not sure if you’re right, but you’re not wrong)

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
As an overall player, Avery by far. Avery was borderline elite at even strength in his first stint here.
if you are basing this comparison on their time w ith NYR,
in particular Avery's best NHL period, his first NYR stint, vs Tikkanen as NYR, you might have just a little bit of evidence
Tikkanen came to NYR with over 420 points and well over 500 games, including 362 points in a 5 season span.
AND Tikk had a 22 goal, 54 pt season w NYR
Avery never had a 18 goals in a season, only 1 season with over 40 points (split from LAK to NYR in '06-07)
Esa Tikkanen Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Sean Avery Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: The Sweetness

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
So? What's the point he was a better player at both ends of the ice and it isn't even close, drew penalties without taking as many, especially of the bonehead variety, he was better in pretty much every way. Nobody outside of diehard Avery fans would take him over Tik, teams wanted Tik because he helped them win, Avery was all about Avery.

This is just not true.

Peak Avery was historic at drawing penalties. And didn't take as many as you would think.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
if you are basing this comparison on their time w ith NYR,
in particular Avery's best NHL period, his first NYR stint, vs Tikkanen as NYR, you might have just a little bit of evidence
Tikkanen came to NYR with over 420 points and well over 500 games, including 362 points in a 5 season span.
AND Tikk had a 22 goal, 54 pt season w NYR
Avery never had a 18 goals in a season, only 1 season with over 40 points (split from LAK to NYR in '06-07)
Esa Tikkanen Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Sean Avery Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
There's more to the game than scoring, and again, Tikkanen played in a lacrosse league.

When scoring slowed down in the late 90's Tikkanen didn't score much more than Avery did.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What relevance does the scoring make? lol

Not to mention, he was great in that 1994 Stanley Cup playoffs. No game had a 7-5 score let alone 12 goals
Tikkanen was great in the '94 playoffs? He had 8 points in 23 games.

You're looking for the '97 playoffs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Avery was a better player as a Ranger. Tikkanen had a better career. I think people forget how little Tikkanen actually played for the Rangers.

Tikkanen, btw, was great defensively in the 94 playoffs and a big disappointment offensively.
This is correct.

I was a fan of Tikkanen when I was younger. He scored a couple of the most famous OT goals in Rangers history and he'll always be a cult hero.

That being said, Avery had a season where he was probably the second best player on the team. Tikkanen never came close to that as a Ranger.

In 2007-08 Avery missed time with injury, but he was pacing for 22-26-48, like +20 at 5v5, and 53 penalties drawn. That number is insane. Drawing 53 penalties, contextually, is like scoring 75 goals.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Tik was in the poll, I'd really have to consider him. But he's not, so it's Avery, pretty easily.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is correct.

I was a fan of Tikkanen when I was younger. He scored a couple of the most famous OT goals in Rangers history and he'll always be a cult hero.

That being said, Avery had a season where he was probably the second best player on the team. Tikkanen never came close to that as a Ranger.

In 2007-08 Avery missed time with injury, but he was pacing for 22-26-48, like +20 at 5v5, and 53 penalties drawn. That number is insane. Drawing 53 penalties, contextually, is like scoring 75 goals.

Here's another thing... Avery had 0.4659 points per game as a Ranger. Tikkanen had 0.4653. So Avery's time as a Ranger verrrry slightly outscored Tikkanen's. If you put any stock into the hockey-reference adjusted scoring, Avery had 0.489 and Tikkanen had 0.424.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Tik was a top six player in his days and put up as many points as someone like Zibenajed does now when he was in his prime. Different league I know.

Avery was a good third liner when he wasn't going offsides seven times a game. He only played second line because those Rangers teams were not very deep.

He was a 30 point player. I like him but he was 100% more style over substance. If he doesn't mess with Brodeur those 3x and become a cult hero, is he remembered the same way?

He's a very smart guy who used LA and then NY to build his brand. He did some ridiculous stuff on the ice.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Tikkanen was great in the '94 playoffs? He had 8 points in 23 games.

You're looking for the '97 playoffs.

Ever hear of board work and driving the opponent nuts? His board play and instigating was amazing, His bomb against the Isles ended any hope the Isles could recover, the mayhem he caused against the Cap was legendary, he was huge on the boards vs Jersey and was robbed of a bomb in Game 5 vs Canucks. His play was great.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ever hear of board work and driving the opponent nuts? His board play and instigating was amazing, His bomb against the Isles ended any hope the Isles could recover, the mayhem he caused against the Cap was legendary, he was huge on the boards vs Jersey and was robbed of a bomb in Game 5 vs Canucks. His play was great.
Ever hear of Sean Avery? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad