Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I agree with ISS, I think it's down to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Adam Larsson. I don't have a lot against Couturier or Landeskog, but I think there's more upside in those first two.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think there is any question who the oilers will draft. Adam Larrson will be their pick if they get the chance.

Last edited:

CandiedBacon

Seguin and Hamilton
Sep 2, 2010
EpicMealTime
Would like to see them pick RNH and then Zibanejad. They aren't going to rebuild by next season and I would rather see them fill the voids at centre this year and then trade for another top pick next year and nab two defenseman.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Even though I'm an Edmonton fan:

1. Sean Couturier (for some reason he is now rated 6th)
2a. Duncan Siemens (somehow rated 23rd)
2b. Mark McNeill (who is now rated 26th)

Most fans will probably say that Edmonton should take RNH/Larsson with the first.

If they can come out of the 1st round with Couturier and Siemens/McNeill and snatch Oleksiak at 31, they will be well on the way to completing the re-build.

Sloth Slothersons*

Right now it's down to Larsson or RNH for me. Most of the scouts have these guys at the top and from what I've seen they look to have the highest ceilings.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
First overall pick - RNH

1.) Because I'm biased and want the Avs to get Larsson
2.) Because can you imagine RNH with Hall? Unreal hands between those two, and can finally move Gagner to a more suitable 2nd line center role.

20-22 pick - David Musil

1.) Need a big bruising dman bad.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Number 1 defencemen are just as hard to find as number 1 centermen.

2011 is quite unique, 2008 had a clear front runner (Stamkos), 2011 does not. It wasnt really a question of forward or defenceman.
I think it's much easier for a team to adopt a "defense by committee", than it would be to adopt "offense by committee". I'm hoping the Oilers take Couturier with our first pick. We need some size on our top line, and he's plays a great two way game from what I've seen. N-H is just too damn small

zeus3007*

The more I think about it, the more I hope that it turns out like this.

1. RNH
2. Larsson
3. Coutourier
4. Landeskog

Depending on which position we finish up at and draft at, this is how I would place these guys.

With our LA pick, take the best center man left. Best player available is nice, but we don't really need wingers, and I don't like drafting d-men in the first round, it seems like more of a gamble than drafting a forward. I do think that going heavy on d-men in the 2nd and 3rd round should net us some future NHL quality players though.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
They have to take Larsson if he is available. They are set with Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and co. Larsson is a ******* stud. Defense wins championships and what a better way to start your rebuild on defence with a guy like Larsson.

I am not even an Oilers fan, but I would actually be pissed if they did not take Larsson.

***My top 3 picks, EDMONTON --> Larsson, COLORADO -->Landeskog, OTTAWA -->RNH,

PasDaSquini

Apr 4, 2010
With the first pick Edmonton should draft the best centremen available regardless of who it is. They will need a centremen to play with Hall someone that can grow with Hall for a long time.

Teamcanada

May 24, 2008
I still think the Oilers are gonna flip the Kings pick to become a top 5 pick. A package of Cogliano (RFA), Kings Pick, late round pick should probably do it.

Then draft Larsson and Landeskog.

The top flight centre will come from FA.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I still think the Oilers are gonna flip the Kings pick to become a top 5 pick. A package of Cogliano (RFA), Kings Pick, late round pick should probably do it.

Nope, that deal isn't enough. And no good FA will sign in Edmonton.

SuperUke99

Oct 2, 2005
Calgary

It is Adam Larsson. He will love it With Lander and Paajarvi!

Nugent Hopkins reminds me too much of Kyle Turris.....just barely 6' and small (160lbs) and shifty which means in tough against the West. With the 2nd pick i have no idea but pick another player over 6ft as i am soooo tired of watching gagner, cogliano, brule, omark etc.

Last edited:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008

Nugent Hopkins reminds me too much of Kyle Turris.....just barely 6' and small (160lbs) and shifty which means in tough against the West. With the 2nd pick i have no idea but pick another player over 6ft as i am soooo tired of watching gagner, cogliano, brule, omark etc.

RNH is small like Turris but his skill level is a lot higher than Turris.

With drafting RNH if he does not pan out as a top line centreman then I think that he doesn't have much else to provide.

With Courterier(sp) even if he doesnt pan out he will still be a very good 2nd line centreman that will be very good defensively.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
One has to think it's going to be Larsson with the 1st overall.

Oilers d is atrocious and they need someone with some skill to move the puck up to the forwards...

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
First overall pick - RNH

1.) Because I'm biased and want the Avs to get Larsson
2.) Because can you imagine RNH with Hall? Unreal hands between those two, and can finally move Gagner to a more suitable 2nd line center role.

20-22 pick - David Musil

1.) Need a big bruising dman bad.

Musil would be sweet if thats where Edmonton is picking.

Whitney-Larsson
Gilbert-Petry
Peckham-Smid
Teubert-Marincin
Musil-Plante
Chorney

All of a sudden we have a ton of defenceman.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Turris dominated the BCJHL

RNH dominated the WHL....huge difference

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Organizational needs. 1st line center, 2nd line center with size, top pairing d-men. I'd be surprised if we drafted any players with our top 2 picks that doesn't fit those criteria.

Divine Wind

3 scenarios I would be very happy with:

Edm 1st - Larsson
LA 1st - Mcneil

Edm 1st - Hopkins
LA 1st - Oleksiak

Edm 1st - Hopkins
Trade up - Hamilton

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks