Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If the Wild pick in the 12-15 range (and there isn't anybody we really want there) and the Kings pick falls in the 20-22 range, I could see trade-down as a possibility. I'm not sure if value is right but would LA's 1st + Edm's 2nd for MN's 1st be intriguing?

How about the Wild guarantee us they pick in the 15-17 range and by doing so LA picks in the 12-14 range. We'll give you an autographed Jason Strudwick jersey as a sign of gratitude (the Jersey actually comes with his UFA rights).

zeus3007*

How about the Wild guarantee us they pick in the 15-17 range and by doing so LA picks in the 12-14 range. We'll give you an autographed Jason Strudwick jersey as a sign of gratitude (the Jersey actually comes with his UFA rights).

Isn't the draft in Minnesota? I would be shocked if they didn't trade up to make a splash.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Says who?He's got Eberle already. All he needs is a nice two way playmaking center with size.

As for the whole defense takes longer thing. Adam Larsson is a bit of a different situation. Guys already making an impact in a mens league. There's no reason he can't be a top 4 guy next year.

which are so easy to find! ask Calgary how long they've waiting for a center for Iggy...

the Oilers have been looking for an elite center since Weight left...10 years ago

this draft has 2 potential elite guys that can play on the top line with Hall

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
I think the Oil have to go C with their first pick now. I was on the Larrson bus for a long time but he hasn't seperated himself from the other guys with his play this year and I want a guy who turns his game up trying to be that 1/1 guy. Look at what Hall did as soon as people started putting Seguin in front of him? He was in beast mode the second half of his season and through to the Memorial Cuo.

The other guys seem to want the 1/1 spot bad and are gunning for it while Larsson seems to have plateaued. Never good in a draft year.

Plus there seems to be boatloads of good D around where the Oilers have LA's pick and in the early 30s.

I think Ottawa is the only team that ends up lower than the Oilers. So we'd pick 3rd at worst. The Oilers sked is too tough and there's not enough season left for Colorado, the Blues and the Isles to pass them IMHO.

For me I hope it's Couturier for the Oil. He has what we need IMHO. I don't know where the hate comes from. All he does is get better and I think he will be easier to slot into our team next year than RNH. If Couturier is gone, I'd be fine with RNH.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Edm got LA's 1st rounder in the 2011 draft and their own 1st in the 2011 draft. I am thinking that LA makes the playoffs and we get about the 20-22 over all pick.

I am curious who you guys think that we should draft with those two picks, if we added Brule, Omark or Cogliano where can we move up and who should we draft.

I have read the Edm fans opinions but non Edm fans would like to hear from you and why.

If the Oilers had any smarts they'd offer them for Corey Schneider.

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
Oilers should draft Couturier with their first pick. Him and Hall have the potential to tear it up in the NHL.

With the kings pick maybe they take a defenceman. I'm not sure who..

deanmoriarty

Sep 2, 2008
great GOLD north
Yeah, because I'd hate to have Doughty, EJ, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Bogosian or Schenn.

For every one of those players there is a d-man who was picked high and failed to live up to his billing.

I would rather have Wilson than Schenn, Duchene over Hedman, Toews and Backstrom over Erik Johnson, etc.

highoffglass

Cheers!
Jan 20, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I think Edmontons forwards are pretty well set for the future. They need defence, and Larrson would be a great pickup for the oil.

I also believe they should use LA's pick to get a gritty center.. someone who projects to be a third line center.. Maybe Boone Jenner?

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I think Edmontons forwards are pretty well set for the future. They need defence, and Larrson would be a great pickup for the oil.

I also believe they should use LA's pick to get a gritty center.. someone who projects to be a third line center.. Maybe Boone Jenner?
Uh, why would we draft a projected 3rd liner in the first round?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

We have plenty of 3rd line centers.

Horcoff, Lander, Pitlick, Vande Velde.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
1- SC or Larsson

2 - Musil or McNeil

Looks like it should be a decent 1st round, no matter how the Oilers pick.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Adam Larsson and Puempel/Saad/Huberdeau or Couturier and Oleksiak/Musil.

Larsson for the oil'

Then sign Brad Richards.

Eberle-B.Richards-Hall
MPS-Ganger-Omark
Cogliano-Schenn-Brule

Gilbert-Whitney
Larsson-Smid
Peckham-UFA/Prospect

Add some grit and maybe minus Cogliano for a guy like Neil or Brouwer and you'll have a lightning fast team.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Larsson for the oil'

Then sign Brad Richards.

Eberle-B.Richards-Hall
MPS-Ganger-Omark
Cogliano-Schenn-Brule

Gilbert-Whitney
Larsson-Smid
Peckham-UFA/Prospect

Add some grit and maybe minus Cogliano for a guy like Neil or Brouwer and you'll have a lightning fast team.

Richards will never sign here.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I'm not an Oilers fan but I truely beleive that if all things are equal, you should select the forward over the defenseman.

It's easier to upgrade your defense later in the draft than to find a potential #1 centre.

If you look at the draft history, it will back it up. Even as recent as 2008 where Stamkos was drafted over Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Schenn.

Unless the Oilers feel Larsson is just too good to pass up, they should take either Couturier or RNH.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not an Oilers fan but I truely beleive that if all things are equal, you should select the forward over the defenseman.

It's easier to upgrade your defense later in the draft than to find a potential #1 centre.

If you look at the draft history, it will back it up. Even as recent as 2008 where Stamkos was drafted over Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Schenn.

Unless the Oilers feel Larsson is just too good to pass up, they should take either Couturier or RNH.

Number 1 defencemen are just as hard to find as number 1 centermen.

2011 is quite unique, 2008 had a clear front runner (Stamkos), 2011 does not. It wasnt really a question of forward or defenceman.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Number 1 defencemen are just as hard to find as number 1 centermen.

2011 is quite unique, 2008 had a clear front runner (Stamkos), 2011 does not. It wasnt really a question of forward or defenceman.

Yes but it's easier to fill a defense of #2-3 defense and be elite than to not have a #1 centre and be elite.

You can make a case for both sides.

Vancouver does not have a #1 defenseman but does have a #1 centre and plenty of #2-3 and is first in the league.

Boston does not have a #1 centre but does have a #1 defenseman and is closing in on first in the East. It does however help to have a Vezina goalie in net.

Duncan Keith is the reigning Norris winner and wasn't even drafted in the first round. However, Guys like Stamkos, Sedin, Crosby, Toews always go in the top of the first round.

Course you can make an argument that you can find a #1 centre elsewhere in the draft.

I just believe that in building a team, it's easier to fill-in your defense with good to great players than to fill-in your forwards with good to great players.

Edmonton has a chance to be elite in a few years. They should draft a centre.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Assuming they finish with the 2nd overall pick, they should take Larsson. Ottawa isn't going to draft another puckmoving defenceman with that pick.

With their later pick, they should problably look for a centre.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Assuming they finish with the 2nd overall pick, they should take Larsson. Ottawa isn't going to draft another puckmoving defenceman with that pick.

With their later pick, they should problably look for a centre.
If they finish with the first overall they will have tons of options ,one would be to draft larsson and trade one of their other defensive prospects for a forward.:nod:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If they finish with the first overall they will have tons of options ,one would be to draft larsson and trade one of their other defensive prospects for a forward.:nod:

No reason to lose value like that when you've already got Karlsson playing in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad