Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Funny how some just don't get it.The Oilers are a very weak team that have no toughness barely any grit and no players that are willing to use their size if they do have it.Ryan Nugent Hopkins picking him would just continue to exacerbate this big problem even further.

Hall-Galchenyuk-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Hemsky

Whitney-Larsson
Petry-Marincin

This is the best outcome for Edmonton in the future.^

Oilers will get either the #1 or #2 pick, since they are 8 points behind the Avs with 8 games to go. Basically they have to decide who is the best forward, since it's clear that Larsson is the best Dman and should go in the top 2.

I would look into getting rid of the smaller, no grit forwards that the Oilers currently have than bypass RNH if the Oilers truly feel that he is going to make a major impact at the NHL level.

That means moving Gagner, Cogs, Brule, whomever, do it. Just like last year, to think that passing on Hall because you want a Center in Seguin. Trade your current wingers for a center instead.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Oilers will get either the #1 or #2 pick, since they are 8 points behind the Avs with 8 games to go. Basically they have to decide who is the best forward, since it's clear that Larsson is the best Dman and should go in the top 2.

I would look into getting rid of the smaller, no grit forwards that the Oilers currently have than bypass RNH if the Oilers truly feel that he is going to make a major impact at the NHL level.

That means moving Gagner, Cogs, Brule, whomever, do it. Just like last year, to think that passing on Hall because you want a Center in Seguin. Trade your current wingers for a center instead.

Pretty much this. If you have #1, take the best player and adjust your lineup accordingly. If you have to move gagner, our other first, etc., then you do it.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
The thing with taking dmen is that they take so long to develop where as fowards are not as long. If we traded Hemsky how far up the draft could he move us up, what if we went something like, LA`s 1st and Cogs, moves us up 4-5 spots and then Hemsky moves us up to like 8th or something.

Thoughts.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The thing with taking dmen is that they take so long to develop where as fowards are not as long. If we traded Hemsky how far up the draft could he move us up, what if we went something like, LA`s 1st and Cogs, moves us up 4-5 spots and then Hemsky moves us up to like 8th or something.

Thoughts.

No one in the top 10 needs a one year rental of an injury prone winger.

If he's not going to win you the cup next season, why bother giving up assets for him? Especially when he could still be in rehab when the season starts.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
u just cant go wrong with a 6'4 frame who can also put up 100 points. I am not a oilers fan but i would want Courtier. as for the other pick, as a leafs fan im hoping puempel and zack phillips are who we draft so one of them :P but i also hear Mcneil is very good

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Larssen and Musil. Defense wins championships and how many of the last years have their first round picks went to forwards. Get Colin Jacobs with pick #31. And people it's not that easy to trade up in the draft. Hope LA goes out early and take a good Dman

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Larssen and Musil. Defense wins championships and how many of the last years have their first round picks went to forwards. Get Colin Jacobs with pick #31. And people it's not that easy to trade up in the draft. Hope LA goes out early and take a good Dman

like Carolina and Pittsburgh?

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
If we draft Larsson first, I hope we end up with one of Mcneill or Zibanejad. Draft RNH 1st, then one of Oleksiak or Musil. That's assuming if those players are still available when it's our turn to draft

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I was hoping when LA lost Williams and Kopitar got injured that they might drop out of the playoffs but the teams behind them just did not win and LA won their last 2. They will make the playoffs now just hoping it is as the 8th seed.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Yeah I too was hoping the Kings would crash and burn but looks like they will make the playoffs, which means around a 20-22 pick for the oilers.

So assuming we will not be able to move up (since the past has shown it is very hard) I would draft the following

#3 RNH

#20 Oleksiak

Oilers Finish 30th and win the lottery.

Ott and Col are 2 and 3

Trade 1st overall to Ott for their first and a 3rd rounder on the condition they do not take RNH

Than trade Ott first overall for Col first and a third rounder on the condition they do not take RNH

or am I way out to lunch that Ott Col would not do this knowing Edm wants RNH?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah I too was hoping the Kings would crash and burn but looks like they will make the playoffs, which means around a 20-22 pick for the oilers.

So assuming we will not be able to move up (since the past has shown it is very hard) I would draft the following

#3 RNH

#20 Oleksiak

Oilers Finish 30th and win the lottery.

Ott and Col are 2 and 3

Trade 1st overall to Ott for their first and a 3rd rounder on the condition they do not take RNH

Than trade Ott first overall for Col first and a third rounder on the condition they do not take RNH

or am I way out to lunch that Ott Col would not do this knowing Edm wants RNH?

Ugh, I really don't like trading down. Just show some confidence in your kid and pick him first overall... and then perhaps he doesn't pull a bouwmeester and high tail it out of there at first chance.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I am all for moving down as the top 4 players will all make about the same impact on teams. I would want more than a 3rd round pick though. 2nd for sure.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
Ugh, I really don't like trading down. Just show some confidence in your kid and pick him first overall... and then perhaps he doesn't pull a bouwmeester and high tail it out of there at first chance.

I agree with you on trading down, but if the Oilers fail to make the playoffs for 7-8 years in a row until the kids are UFAs, i wouldnt hold it against them if they walk.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The way things are shaping up, i'd stick with my earlier vote for Couturier or RNH with the 1st, and a d-man with the second 1st rounder.

BUT...unless one of the potential top-10 sort of d-men falls to that LA pick, i'd seriously look into trading down a bit with that LA 1st, and trying to grab an extra 2nd rounder...hoping to grab 2 of the late first/early second round d-men, and still have that bonus second rounder to burn on whatever else.

It's the sort of strategy that depends very heavily on who is left on the board and what other teams are willing to do. And trading down might not be the most popular among fans in this case...

But if you can find a team willing to hand you an extra 2nd round pick to move up from the bottom of the 1st, and guys like Hamilton/Siemens/etc. are off the board...it makes sense to me to move down into that wild open bottom of the 1st round and pick up a trio of guys who could still be very very good.

East Coast Observer

Apr 4, 2011
If I was Edmonton, I'd take Larsson with the first pick in a heartbeat. As for finding a center for Hall and Eberle, I'd suggest trying to move up with LA's pick and take Jonathan Huberdeau. I've watched both Huberdeau and Couturier play numerous times over the past couples of years and I take Huberdeau over Couturier in a second. Its not that Couturier won't be very good, but Huberdeau ceiling is higher and I think Huberdeau speed would complement Hall much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad