Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
From looking here, the player most Oilers fans want with the LA pick is Oleksiak/Zibenejad/Musil/McNeil.

I really want Larsson and Zibenejad. Trade Cogs + OMark + LA's 1st to move up.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No reason to lose value like that when you've already got Karlsson playing in the NHL.

Yep for sure ,it was just one that would be open though.We can trade down to 3 and snag another prospect on the way down,we would not be giving away the the consensus number 1 pick for nothing thats all iam saying .If edmonton wants him they would have to give up something to get him, if not iam sure we can find a buyer else where:nod:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yep for sure ,it was just one that would be open though.We can trade down to 3 and snag another prospect on the way down,we would not be giving away the the consensus number 1 pick for nothing thats all iam saying .If edmonton wants him they would have to give up something to get him, if not iam sure we can find a buyer else where:nod:

That's a dangerous game to play... especially if Ottawa wants the same centre that Edmonton does.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's a dangerous game to play... especially if Ottawa wants the same centre that Edmonton does.

Ottawa doesnt need to draft a center 1st overall they have one in spezza ,they would like a winger like landeskog,or a smaller center like strome or both.Who knows but if larsson is still projected to be number one overall iam sure they would field calls for him ,we have a ton of options moving forward .Our defense looks pretty good ,we have some decent forwards including a number one center up front,not to mention the first and 14th overall picks so far so it looks good:nod:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Ottawa doesnt need to draft a center 1st overall they have one in spezza ,they would like a winger like landeskog,or a smaller center like strome or both.Who knows but if larsson is still projected to be number one overall iam sure they would field calls for him ,we have a ton of options moving forward .Our defense looks pretty good moving forward,we have some decent forwards including a number one center up front so it looks good:nod:

Evidence would suggest otherwise. Don't forget that this was a team who wanted to trade up to draft Kadri 2 years ago, and they've greatly reduced their quality at centre since then.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Evidence would suggest otherwise. Don't forget that this was a team who wanted to trade up to draft Kadri 2 years ago, and they've greatly reduced their quality at centre since then.
Kelly,fisher?? not really we have winnie, greening,z smith,regin etc and we can draft more .The key is spezza and our defense, we need forwards but we wont be giving away a talent like larsson for nothing, edmonton would know this,they can take what ever they want at number 2 if it stays this way or take larsson at number one if they finish there:nod:As far as kadri is concerned i still dont think we wanted him but thats just my opinion

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Kelly,fisher?? not really we have greening,z smith,regin etc and we can draft more .The key is spezza and our defense, we need forwards but we wont be giving away a talent like larsson for nothing, edmonton would know this,they can take what ever they want at number 2 if it stays this way or take larsson at number one if they finish there:nod:As far as kadri is concerned i still dont think we wanted him but thats just my opinion

Yeah -- Fisher was a decent 2nd line centre in 2009 and Kelly was a solid 3rd. Now they've got some potential 3rd/4th liners and Spezza. Getting a #2 punch for Spezza is why they wanted Kadri and why they will problably draft a centre.

They're not giving away Larsson for nothing. They're giving away Larsson for Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah -- Fisher was a decent 2nd line centre in 2009 and Kelly was a solid 3rd. Now they've got some potential 3rd/4th liners and Spezza. Getting a #2 punch for Spezza is why they wanted Kadri and why they will problably draft a centre.

They're not giving away Larsson for nothing. They're giving away Larsson for Couturier or Nugent-Hopkins.

Sure thats what it all boils down too ,if some one wants larsson bad enough we will move him maybe down even one pick but we will get some return on the first overall pick,remember ottawa needs a winger for spezza first and iam pretty sure edmonton doesnt:nod: if you watch the video on that kadri deal BB blurts out if kadri is murray,s guy before BM can say a word so i wouldnt nessesarly call kadri bm,s first choice he turned down MPS for cowen remember:nod:

Last edited:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm not an Oilers fan but I truely beleive that if all things are equal, you should select the forward over the defenseman.

It's easier to upgrade your defense later in the draft than to find a potential #1 centre.

If you look at the draft history, it will back it up. Even as recent as 2008 where Stamkos was drafted over Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo and Schenn.

Unless the Oilers feel Larsson is just too good to pass up, they should take either Couturier or RNH.

An even better example is Erik Johnson. He was considered the best prospect by far yet Toews, Staal and Backstrom were drafted after him.

If edmonton already had a number one center then maybe you look at defenceman, but I just don't see how a team without one could pass on one.

Next years draft is also defence heavy. So Edmonton isn't going to get a chance to draft a number one center until 2013 if they pass on RNH or Couturier. By that time they may not even be a bottom 10 team in the leauge.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Couturier makes the most sense to me. He fills the void left by Penner for a big bodied forward that can compliment smaller guys such as Hall, Eberle, etc. 1 defensman is not enough for the Oil and I think they could give guys like Plante and Petry full time looks next year and grap one of the defensman from the great 2012 crop. I still think Couturier is the best forward in the draft and I think people (like Craig Button) are starting to unfairly downgrade him just because he hasnt done anything amazing lately. Heres his stat line: 54gp 36g 56a 92p. Grab a guy like Musil or Oleszaik later in the first

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Couturier makes the most sense to me. He fills the void left by Penner for a big bodied forward that can compliment smaller guys such as Hall, Eberle, etc. 1 defensman is not enough for the Oil and I think they could give guys like Plante and Petry full time looks next year and grap one of the defensman from the great 2012 crop. I still think Couturier is the best forward in the draft and I think people (like Craig Button) are starting to unfairly downgrade him just because he hasnt done anything amazing lately. Heres his stat line: 54gp 36g 56a 92p. Grab a guy like Musil or Oleszaik later in the first

Makes sense ,and if ottawa gets the first overall they can move down and grab the winger for spezza and another goodie to go with it:D

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Yes but it's easier to fill a defense of #2-3 defense and be elite than to not have a #1 centre and be elite.

You can make a case for both sides.

Vancouver does not have a #1 defenseman but does have a #1 centre and plenty of #2-3 and is first in the league.

Boston does not have a #1 centre but does have a #1 defenseman and is closing in on first in the East. It does however help to have a Vezina goalie in net.

Duncan Keith is the reigning Norris winner and wasn't even drafted in the first round. However, Guys like Stamkos, Sedin, Crosby, Toews always go in the top of the first round.

Course you can make an argument that you can find a #1 centre elsewhere in the draft.

I just believe that in building a team, it's easier to fill-in your defense with good to great players than to fill-in your forwards with good to great players.

Edmonton has a chance to be elite in a few years. They should draft a centre.
Should they draft RNH or Courtier then.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I think Couturier has bigger potential than RNH.

I saw RNH play the Giants in Vancouver and was not all that impressed. He showed glimpses of being the best player on the ice but was not consistent enough. I know it's only one game but if you are going #1, you should know for sure that he's the best player on the ice 99.9% of the time.

The only thing is RNH's skating might fit better into the game Edmonton plays and the fact that he is such a great distributor of the puck could compliment Hall and Eberle very well.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I think Couturier has bigger potential than RNH.

I saw RNH play the Giants in Vancouver and was not all that impressed. He showed glimpses of being the best player on the ice but was not consistent enough. I know it's only one game but if you are going #1, you should know for sure that he's the best player on the ice 99.9% of the time.

The only thing is RNH's skating might fit better into the game Edmonton plays and the fact that he is such a great distributor of the puck could compliment Hall and Eberle very well.

this is why I want RNH slightly more then Couturier...we are building around Hall so who fits that bill of a speedy puck distributing center?

RNH does

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
What would Oil fans think of Couturier + Zibenejad?

Then trade for a D?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Larsson

Then I would try to force the Kings to deal you Voynov for their 1st back. I know I know it doesn't happen but Voynov if he were in this draft would be one of the top 3 d taken and he is NHL ready now. If you guys liked Visnovsky you'll love Voynov.

The kings don't really need the 1st but since they don't have one and are so ridiculously deep on D it might be a fun try.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
BPA for the first pick then BCA (best centre available) for the rest of the draft.

For me, the BPA's are Larsson, Couturier, Landeskog, and RNH - in that order - with the lottery pick.

So maybe the following with our first three picks (assuming we don't move within the first few picks):

Larsson
McNeil
Rask

Ideally, I'd love to get the combo of Larsson and Strome or Couturier and Hamilton, but I don't see us being willing to leverage what it'll cost to end up with 2 top 10 picks.

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Ideally for me it would be Couturier (EDM pick) and Musil (LA pick) | Larsson (EDM pick) and McNeil (LA pick).

I don't understand the whole "lack of offensive game" people say of Couturier? Why because he wasn't lights out like Tavares and Hall were at the WJC? He lead the Q as a 17 year old and thats a huge feat in any league. In this case I think the Oilers need to continue with the offense and they need some size upfront. Couturier has skill and plays a responsible game.

If the Oilers choose to go with the defenseman route, I would go with Larsson. Larsson has been on the radar forever and because of that he suffers from the the same old Tavares vs Hedman because Tavares had been number one for so long and maybe hasn't lived up to some lofty expectations. Larsson = Lidstrom, that's a heck of a comparison for a 18 year old kid. Yikes.

IMO for the Oilers

1a. Couturier
1b. Larsson
3. Ladeskog
4. Nugent-Hopkins

GXL

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Even though I'm an Edmonton fan:

1. Sean Couturier (for some reason he is now rated 6th)
2a. Duncan Siemens (somehow rated 23rd)
2b. Mark McNeill (who is now rated 26th)

Most fans will probably say that Edmonton should take RNH/Larsson with the first.

If Siemens dropped to 23rd I would be all over that... Couturier (EDM pick) and Siemens (LA pick)

2011-2012 (I still think an Oilers team with Penner would be better)

Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky
Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Hartikainen-Gagner-Omark
Brule-Cogliano-MacIntyre
Reddox-Omarra

Whitney-Gilbert
Smid-Peckham
Plante-Petry
Teubert

Dubnyk-Gerber

GXL

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Sure thats what it all boils down too ,if some one wants larsson bad enough we will move him maybe down even one pick but we will get some return on the first overall pick,remember ottawa needs a winger for spezza first and iam pretty sure edmonton doesnt:nod: if you watch the video on that kadri deal BB blurts out if kadri is murray,s guy before BM can say a word so i wouldnt nessesarly call kadri bm,s first choice he turned down MPS for cowen remember:nod:

The return you'll get on the first overall pick is Sean Couturier or Ryan Nugent Hopkins... really that simple. Assuming Ottawa wants a centre like they did 2 years ago, they'll draft one of those players. They're not going to screw around with Edmonton and run the risk that Edmonton takes their guy if they don't get Larsson.

He turned down MPS for Cowen, so he obviously didn't want the winger. As for the video. Murray clearly replied that Kadri was the guy he wanted because if that was the case Toronto wasn't moving down. This is a pretty well established fact, and there's really no reason to live in denial just because you would've rather seen Murray get the guy he wanted.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If the Oilers pick first they go with Larsson, and McNeil
If the Oilers pick second they go with Couturier, and Musil

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
McNeil keeps rising in this years draft. The only way we will get him is if LA doesn't make the playoffs or we can move up.

It will be really interesting to see who we get with LA's pick. Even interesting is what we get with our 2nd round pick.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
McNeil keeps rising in this years draft. The only way we will get him is if LA doesn't make the playoffs or we can move up.

It will be really interesting to see who we get with LA's pick. Even interesting is what we get with our 2nd round pick.

Mark Scheifele might be the next best big C behind McNeill in the 1st.

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
The return you'll get on the first overall pick is Sean Couturier or Ryan Nugent Hopkins... really that simple. Assuming Ottawa wants a centre like they did 2 years ago, they'll draft one of those players. They're not going to screw around with Edmonton and run the risk that Edmonton takes their guy if they don't get Larsson.

He turned down MPS for Cowen, so he obviously didn't want the winger. As for the video. Murray clearly replied that Kadri was the guy he wanted because if that was the case Toronto wasn't moving down. This is a pretty well established fact, and there's really no reason to live in denial just because you would've rather seen Murray get the guy he wanted.

The way I saw it was after Burke said he was taking Kadri, Murray didn't even try to deal because he wanted Cowan. He was happy with how things were going to unfold so he didnt even try to make a swap. Everyone assumed that he wanted Kadri, but Burke played his hand and didn't even try to see what Ottawa was wanting. Murray looked satisfied IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->