Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
um, the way the west standings change every night, there's a good chance that olesniak and hamilton are gone by the oilers 2nd pick.

zeus3007*

Strong feeling Tambo does whatever it takes to get Larsson and SC.

Larsson yes, Coutourier, I'm not so sure. He seems to have fallen, so unless Tambellini can trade up and steal him later, he won't be an Oiler. I'm not certain we draft Larsson, RNH has really shown that he is the real deal, despite being a bit on the small side (6"1, 170 lbs).

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Larsson yes, Coutourier, I'm not so sure. He seems to have fallen, so unless Tambellini can trade up and steal him later, he won't be an Oiler. I'm not certain we draft Larsson, RNH has really shown that he is the real deal, despite being a bit on the small side (6"1, 170 lbs).

If Florida would accept it, I'd offer up Hemsky. This coming from a Blues fan, I'd get rid of Hemsky to rebuild the Oilers younger and healthier. He's a great player, but I think SC will be better in the long run. Even if he's a little below his level, he'll most likely be healthier and better defensively.

Parise09*

If Florida would accept it, I'd offer up Hemsky. This coming from a Blues fan, I'd get rid of Hemsky to rebuild the Oilers younger and healthier. He's a great player, but I think SC will be better in the long run. Even if he's a little below his level, he'll most likely be healthier and better defensively.

Thing is, Florida wouldn't even consider it, especially with Tallon as the GM.

Akonite

Mar 9, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta

From everything i've gathered, Couturier hasnt fallen, so much as other players (namely RNH, Landeskog, and Strome) have risen.

He has a better PPG than Hopkins (1.54 vs 1.66) FWIW.

I do agree it'd be difficult to acquire him though. Unless he REALLY falls, Fowler-style.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

As a Blues fan, what would you want from Edmonton for you 1st rounder?
I believe that your team is very close to contention if you can add another offensive piece so Hemsky+?

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
Draft Larsson or RNH. If you pick RNH then you trade up for siemens(moving up 9 or so spots up?) or if you draft Larsson, trade up for zibanejad. Basically your probably not going to have hemsky by the end of draft day, but have your team basically set(unless they all bust, and that would suck!)

hdtrax

Adam Larsson BY FAR at first overall. I don't even know how this is a debate. EDM's D needs some serious rebuilding. Who's in the system? Alex Plante, Martin Marincin, Colton Teubert, Jeff Petry? Don't kid yourselves none of those guys are top-2 guys. Top-4? Sure. But not top-2.

The second pick could be a variety of guys. Honestly, though a Larsson/Oleksiak combo would go a HUGE way. Tambo and Lowe have spent enough time drafting great forwards, the focus should be stocking the D with top line prospects like Larsson now. Oleksiak is a bit of a project but his upside is big.

Wait for 2012 when they're likely in the last year of their cellar dwelling and try to grab Alex Galchenyuk for your 1C spot - he'll be better than RNH, anyway, and with certainly a higher ceiling that Pitlick.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
As a Blues fan, what would you want from Edmonton for you 1st rounder?
I believe that your team is very close to contention if you can add another offensive piece so Hemsky+?

We honestly don't have room for him. We SHOULD have Tarasenko on our 3rd line next year, so that leaves Oshie and Stewart on the top lines.

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
Adam Larsson BY FAR at first overall. I don't even know how this is a debate. EDM's D needs some serious rebuilding.

Which is harder to get 1) A top line center 2) Top pairing D?

As a Toronto fan I'm sure you'll agree that true top line C's are very difficult to acquire any way but the draft.

hdtrax

As a Toronto fan I'm sure you'll agree that true top line C's are very difficult to acquire any way but the draft.

...which is why i said go after Alex Galchenyuk next year. Look him up, he's going to be better than RNH or Couturier.

And there's a distinction between top pairing d-men and franchise d-men. Larsson is a franchise d-man, one that fills a big need for Edmonton. You guys haven't had a franchise d-man since Pronger.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
How come no one is high on Ryan Nugent Hopkins? I thought he'd fit well with the Oilers future.

Funny how some just don't get it.The Oilers are a very weak team that have no toughness barely any grit and no players that are willing to use their size if they do have it.Ryan Nugent Hopkins picking him would just continue to exacerbate this big problem even further.

Hall-Galchenyuk-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Hemsky

Whitney-Larsson
Petry-Marincin

This is the best outcome for Edmonton in the future.^

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
The 2012 draft is suppose to be very deep with dmen. How many possible top pairing dmen are there. Edm will be a top 5 pick again next year but will win more games. A few things that I have heard is take your two dmen this year in Larsson and Oleksiak that will definately give you major depth on the blue line and the defense will look very good in 3 years.

Or two centremen with RNH/Courtier and either Zibanejad or MacNeil and then you are now set a centre for a long time. It

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
What if Edm did something like this also.

Draft either RNH or Courtier and then with the 2nd pick a dman and then make a trade.

Gagner and Plante for Bogosian.

Thoughts.

Voga

Jun 1, 2010
Everything just seems so simple eh lol just trade this player for that player

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
If i was Edm I would maybe go with Couturier or RNH and then with the 2nd pick LA 1st round would try and get Oleksiak or Duncan Siemens.

I feel the 2011 draft class have more great Defencement then fowards. Just take the 1st round per exemple;

Larsson
Duncan Siemens
Dougie Hamilton
Ryan Murphy
Joseph Morrow
David Musil
Jamieson Oleksiak
Jonas Brodin
Scott Mayfield

then here's the foward that Edmonton need

Couturier
RNH
Brandon Saad
Ryan Strome...

So I believe that Edmonton will go with Adam Larsson then with the LA pick will go BPA meaning if Jamieson Oleksiak or Duncan Siemen are available they will take one of the two.

But I believe Edmonton need a Power foward like Saad, Brandon

So if they could get Larsson and Saad then that's a perfect1st round draft.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Funny how some just don't get it.The Oilers are a very weak team that have no toughness barely any grit and no players that are willing to use their size if they do have it.Ryan Nugent Hopkins picking him would just continue to exacerbate this big problem even further.

Hall-Galchenyuk-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Hemsky

Whitney-Larsson
Petry-Marincin
Musil - ?????

I agree....and furthermore the Oilers can probably grab Musil making their D as above

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Hall-Galchenyuk-Eberle
MPS-Gagner-Hemsky

Whitney-Larsson
Petry-Marincin

There's no way the bolded are part of the best outcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad