Who should Edm draft with their two picks:

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Edm got LA's 1st rounder in the 2011 draft and their own 1st in the 2011 draft. I am thinking that LA makes the playoffs and we get about the 20-22 over all pick.

I am curious who you guys think that we should draft with those two picks, if we added Brule, Omark or Cogliano where can we move up and who should we draft.

I have read the Edm fans opinions but non Edm fans would like to hear from you and why.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Even though I'm an Edmonton fan:

1. Sean Couturier (for some reason he is now rated 6th)
2a. Duncan Siemens (somehow rated 23rd)
2b. Mark McNeill (who is now rated 26th)

Most fans will probably say that Edmonton should take RNH/Larsson with the first.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Even though I'm an Edmonton fan:

1. Sean Couturier (for some reason he is now rated 6th)
2a. Duncan Siemens (somehow rated 23rd)
2b. Mark McNeill (who is now rated 26th)

Most fans will probably say that Edmonton should take RNH/Larsson with the first.

Where are you getting those from?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
im an edmonton fan...and would be happy with anyone....but if it were my picks I would look at Larsson and Mcneill....no tradeups...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i'd vote for Couturier with the 1st pick, and wait to see how it's looking for d-men still on the board as the LA pick gets closer.

birddog*

Edmonton's defense is terrible.

Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, MPS, Gagne, Cogliano, Brule, and even the great Ryan O'Mara are all former highly touted first rounders. At some point Edmonton is going to figure out you need a defenceman to move the puck up to these guys.

Larson could play 25 minutes a night and is more advance and better offensively than Victor Hedman. Not sure how a team like Edm turns down a defenceman of that caliber.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Taylor Hall needs an elite center to play with... either RNH or Couturier would be good fits. Defensive prospects generally take longer to develop and they don't usually impact the game as much as a top center would.

Eriktion

Nov 28, 2010
Edmonton
Edmonton's defense is terrible.

Hall, Hemsky, Eberle, MPS, Gagne, Cogliano, Brule, and even the great Ryan O'Mara are all former highly touted first rounders. At some point Edmonton is going to figure out you need a defenceman to move the puck up to these guys.

Larson could play 25 minutes a night and is more advance and better offensively than Victor Hedman. Not sure how a team like Edm turns down a defenceman of that caliber.

For how bad our defence is, our depth at center is even more horrid. At least coming down the pipe for our D we have Marincin, Plante, Tuebert, Petry and I guess Chorney was making his way back into the conversation with his play this season before he got injured. At Center Oilers have Pitlick, and Lander. That's all she wrote for our depth at center unless someone thinks Ryan O'Marra is going to become an NHL player one day (I for one don't think he will be).

Now with the first pick I firmly believe you should always take the BPA, so if that is Larsson then fine, so be it. But I think it is painfully clear the Oilers desperately need to get some help down the middle so I wouldn't even be opposed to using both picks for C's. However if they go with a D and a C i'll be fine with that as well.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Haha sorry from here: http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=38615

Stupid if you ask me.

That's Craig Button's list. He used to be director of scouting for the Minnesota North Stars and now he works for NHL Network and scouts for Toronto I think. But, it doesn't prevent him of making such an ugly ranking list. As for me, Couturier should go 1st overall to the Edmonton Oilers. Than with your 2nd 1st round pick, pick a defenseman like Oleksiak or Musil. For those wondering why not take Larsson, picking Couturier fits perfectly for the Oils and he's going to be great with Hall. Just wait for the 2012 draft that is going to include tons of great defenseman: Ryan Murray, Nick Ebert, Griffin Reinhart, Michael Matheson, Julien Leduc, Derrick Pouliot, Cody Ceci, Dominic Poulin, Dillon Fournier, Matthew Dumba, and the list goes on and on and on... A guy like Griffin Reinhart that already plays for the Edmonton Oil Kings should be a fan favorite I suppose:D

Analyzer*

Try to get a feel of what teams behind you are thinking. If Couturier is what you want, trade down a spot, or two, get a prospect/2nd round pick, get the player you want, then package what you got for moving down with LA's first to move up and get another good player.

zeus3007*

I'm an Oiler fan, and I'm very torn about it. I believe we should aim for one d-man and one center if possible, so I am good with either of these two options.

Edmonton's Pick - Adam Larsson or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Los Angeles Pick

- If we select Larsson, then hopefully Zach Philips is left. If he's gone, maybe Marc MacNeil, or draft another d-man

- If we select RNH, then (in order) - Doug Hamilton, Duncan Siemens, Dave Musil, Joe Morrow, or maybe Jamieson Oleksiak (don't know much about him, I worry he is so good because he is so much bigger than his opposition).

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
The guy they take at 1/2 should not determine who they take at ~20 with the Kings' pick. If they take Larsson with their first pick, and the best player left on the board when their 2nd pick in the 1st round rolls around, then they should take another defeseman.

zeus3007*

The guy they take at 1/2 should not determine who they take at ~20 with the Kings' pick. If they take Larsson with their first pick, and the best player left on the board when their 2nd pick in the 1st round rolls around, then they should take another defeseman.

Well yeah, you always take the BPA, but we can dream that we get our defenseman-center combo this year. :)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
lol craig button.

rode the coattails of his father and then his superiors in the stars organization. As soon as he got his own gig in calgary, he shat the bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad