Who is the most over-hated player?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
you can hate him all you want, but Leaf fans acting like he was the dirtiest player around was way overblown. There were far dirtier players in that era.
You would think it would have been Hossa after the Berard incident and to be fair we had a pretty intense rivalry back then.

Alfredsson was symbolic of hating the team as their Captain as well as having that questionable hit on Tucker (injuring him for 3 playoff games) and then scoring the game winner in game 5 of a 2nd round series . There was also the stick tossing incident where it seemed like he was mocking Mats.

Even Alfie will tell you we only hated him when he was on the ice, when he did not have that Sens jersey on we respected him for the class act he was. We hate Marchand in a far more real way. Hatred from a rival is usually more good natured (Lickboy excluded) than what I think this thread is after.

Of course the obvious answer is Auston Matthews. Many on HF hate him not because of what he does or how he plays but because of who he represents. There are unhealthy people here who actually like to see him injured. Even more insanely is the hate doesn't even come from our real rivals. Bruin, Hab and Sen fans all generally acknowledge he's a good player and don't give him much mind unless they are playing us. West of Ontario though it gets kinda wacky. If I didn't know better I'd think he shit on Gretzky's statue in Edmonton.

Subban is another guy who does not get a fair shake. Not sure if it is race related or if he just shocks the hockey culture too much by being cool but he should be a Ambassador for the league. He could have be used to grow the game but instead gets constant grief for petty shit because he's not a robot.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Hated by his own fanbase or hated by opposing fanbases?

Toronto’s hate of Daniel Alfredsson was a bit much.
Yeah, but it was justified! If you didn't hate Alfie back then you weren't a true Maple Leaf! Love the dude now and happy that he got gold with Sundin ... sometimes I wonder what would have happaned if we had both Sundin and Alfie on the Leafs. Was very impressed in 2003 when I saw him at a press conference with glasses - he truly had an auro of an economist, rather than an NHL-er.

Reactions: Variable26

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
You would think it would have been Hossa after the Berard incident and to be fair we had a pretty intense rivalry back then.

Alfredsson was symbolic of hating the team as their Captain as well as having that questionable hit on Tucker (injuring him for 3 playoff games) and then scoring the game winner in game 5 of a 2nd round series . There was also the stick tossing incident where it seemed like he was mocking Mats.

Even Alfie will tell you we only hated him when he was on the ice, when he did not have that Sens jersey on we respected him for the class act he was. We hate Marchand in a far more real way. Hatred from a rival is more good natured than what I think this thread is after.

Of course the obvious answer is Auston Matthews. Many on HF hate him not because of what he does or how he plays but because of who he represents.

Subban is another guy who does not get a fair shake.
True words of wisdom! I think Freddy also gets a fair shair with stuff like Ander7en. Kadri was hated more than he deserved. Phil Kessel and Phanouf ... also John Scott. Kuzy got too much hate for being the Birdman. Basically old-timers tend to agree and hate the players Don Cherry hated!

Reactions: BlueBaron

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I feel for the poor Sean Avery who got annoyed by homeless people. I don't judge him and i try to understand his suffering. It must be hard and i think the homeless people owe an apology to him. I can relate because i myself am really annoyed at cancer patients and go around hospitals asking for their hair styling advices.

:laugh:

I hope Hellhammer is as funny as you.

Reactions: Acallabeth

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Marchy and Lucic. Even as a Pens fan, I’ve always loved those two. Moreso when Lucic wasn’t an expensive boat anchor, so the newer hate on him about that side of things is justified.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Today? Over-hated due to prior actions? Probably Tom Wilson. A couple of years ago he completely earned all the hate he got from his multiple 'intent to badly injure' hits. This season though, while he still hits really hard, from what I've seen he really cleaned up his game. I still don't like the Cap, but I will appreciate his hard but clean(ish) game these days.

(Avery, while he (usually) didn't try to injure people, was/is a miserable human being & completely deserved all the hate directed at him)

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Reactions: The Pale King

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He came in and demanded the C from long term captain and popular Canuck Trevor Linden. He also took his number 11, but that was an honoured number for a player that I believe passed on which upset lots of people in Vancouver. After all that he didn't play very well for Vancouver and didn't stay very long.

well he stayed for his entire 3 year contract....the irony was that Buffalo had an offer for him at the 1999 trade deadline. Brian Holzinger and a 1st round pick in 1999 for Mark Messier. Brian Burke kept Mark Messier.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Huh? This seems a little disingenuous. Saying that he hasn't done anything of that sort for years, but saying he hasn't changed seems odd. I have no horse in this race. I know very little about DeAngelo except for posts like this.

I hope you understand that saying those inflammatory type words doesn't necessarily mean you are anything in particular. Sometimes people say things to draw ire, deflect or get attention.

If I cuss you out right now and then go save an burning orphanage, what am I? Most would call me a hero. You would call me an asshole.

Life is not black and white and people deserve the chance to learn and grow.

Follow his Twitter account. He's been caught with poor-tasted tweets and likes over the past and half of his content is right-winged political still to this day. That's not to say he can't be political, but the people he's supporting are, well, whatever you want to call them..... Liking Trump's tweet that says "Chinese Virus" is just one example.

Like I said, it's still part of him. The past is written and he's clearly more closeted about it now so he doesn't get blasted out of the league. I personally put two and two together. Again, maybe I should have a conversation with TD and see what he really thinks. Maybe he surprises me.

Reactions: newsportsfan123

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Now he does bike policing videos in Manhattan. This is a good friend of mine who happens to be one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life.....

Obviously you can see my friend had no idea who Avery was, funny he went after his teeth not knowing.

Oh man thanks for that, some of those videos are pure gold.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Zach Kassian. Poor guy only trying to get his career back on track.
Hope he is back to business in October with a fresh mind.

Last edited:

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Probably Crosby at this point. People still make fun of him for whining and diving 15 years ago.

I think a lot of the hate for Crosby has dissipated since his over-the-top whining and diving did. He's also grown up a lot from his "punching a man in the balls from behind" type antics which also brought him a lot of loathing.

Sure there's still some dislike for him, but he's nowhere near guys like Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad