Who is the most over-hated player?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Tony DeAngelo for his “attitude issues.”

Well his attitude issues have accounted to being suspended for physical abuse of a ref in the NHL, numerous times of verbally assaulting refs with homophobic slurs and having been suspended due to uttering racial slurs at teammates.

He's very much still a xenophobe, racist, and homophobe. That is part of who he is and what his beliefs are.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Disagree, they actually don't but I said it that way because anyone could pull out a clip from almost any player and argue that there was intent to injure. Even Crosby and Draisaitl don't try to injure for the most part.
I think that vast majority of players just play hard and don’t have any intent to injure, then there’s a handful that just really don’t care if they injure someone. Those are the ones that deserve the hate. But that’s just my take

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well his attitude issues have accounted to being suspended for physical abuse of a ref in the NHL, numerous times of verbally assaulting refs with homophobic slurs and having been suspended due to uttering racial slurs at teammates.

He's very much still a xenophobe, racist, and homophobe. That is part of who he is and what his beliefs are.

Is this true? Never heard anything about DeAngelo!

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
I was at my first NHL game just a couple months back. Visiting NYC and I gotta say, I don't understand why Rangers fans loathe Pavel Buchnevich. He played well and even scored a goal yet still only got boo's. Looking at his stats and play I think he is a decent player.

Probably not the most hated overall tho. Most of the disliked guys deserve it like Marchand or Avery etc.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yep there's been multiple accounts. Mind you I believe the last noted incident (NHL ref assault) was early 2017, but he's still who he is, believes what he believes in, and supports who he supports unfortunately.
Huh? This seems a little disingenuous. Saying that he hasn't done anything of that sort for years, but saying he hasn't changed seems odd. I have no horse in this race. I know very little about DeAngelo except for posts like this.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Are you for real? He earned all the hate he got and more, I am so glad the Wings traded him before he really got going because he was an embarrassment to the league and teams he played on.

He was the "heel" character of the NHL

If you ever get the chance watch his interview with Larry King. He doesn't talk about being that role, but he's definitely a complex individual who wasn't just some dumb meathead.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
People love to speak of Tom Wilson like he's a 6'4 Matt Cooke, which is anything but true. He's a physical player who had a couple of collisions when he was a bit careless and underestimated his power, but overall Willy is a great and respectful player.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

I hope you understand that saying those inflammatory type words doesn't necessarily mean you are anything in particular. Sometimes people say things to draw ire, deflect or get attention.

If I cuss you out right now and then go save an burning orphanage, what am I? Most would call me a hero. You would call me an asshole.

Life is not black and white and people deserve the chance to learn and grow.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Lucic. I’ll always hate him for running Miller, but ultimately I think he always played the game the way he had to. Now he sucks, people hate on him, I guess it bothers him- he’s a dinosaur, an anachronism, but I just don’t know that he’s a bad guy, but he often gets talked about as such.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Wow he got annoyed at homeless people living in nyc.
I feel for the poor Sean Avery who got annoyed by homeless people. I don't judge him and i try to understand his suffering. It must be hard and i think the homeless people owe an apology to him. I can relate because i myself am really annoyed at cancer patients and go around hospitals asking for their hair styling advices.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
These are the ones I can think of straight away:

Aaron Rome - that hit on Horton was ugly. Didn't help that Horton was well liked among hockey fans, and the hit practically ended his career.

Matt Cooke - dirty player, no other way to say it. Ended Marc Savard's career. f*** him.

Zac Rinaldo - Cooke lite, but with less skill. At least Cooke in his prime could score some goals. Rinaldo is just a useless headhunter.

Corey Perry - a goddamn rat.

Just because you fight or play a physical game, doesn't mean that the whole word hates you. Guys like Boogaard are still liked by many. It's the dirty players we dislike.

edit. Oh damn OVER-HATED. Well, I blame my fever symptoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I was at my first NHL game just a couple months back. Visiting NYC and I gotta say, I don't understand why Rangers fans loathe Pavel Buchnevich. He played well and even scored a goal yet still only got boo's. Looking at his stats and play I think he is a decent player.

Probably not the most hated overall tho. Most of the disliked guys deserve it like Marchand or Avery etc.

"Those aren't boo's Sam, they're Z̶u̶c̶c̶'̶s̶ Buch's"

Jokes aside though, he does attract a fair bit of negativity fairly often. Considering the player he is at the mo and where he was drafted, I'd say it's undeserved.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
These are the ones I can think of straight away:

Aaron Rome - that hit on Horton was ugly. Didn't help that Horton was well liked among hockey fans, and the hit practically ended his career.

Hey, the Bruins bashed us with Lucic, Marchand, and Thomas in the SCF, as a result of that.

Matt Cooke - dirty player, no other way to say it. Ended Marc Savard's career. f*** him.

That ankle hit on Karlsson was nasty.

Zac Rinaldo - Cooke lite, but with less skill. At least Cooke in his prime could score some goals. Rinaldo is just a useless headhunter.

I didn't hear any good news about him.

Corey Perry - a goddamn rat.

Ca-li-for-nia Rats! They're undeniable!

Just because you fight or play a physical game, doesn't mean that the whole word hates you. Guys like Boogaard are still liked by many. It's the dirty players we dislike.

Canucks players are generally nice, by the way.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Currently playing? My vote goes to Marchand when there’s much bigger POS in the league like Lemieux and Matt Tkachuk.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Sean Avery I wish chiclets wouldn't bring him back on he whines so much for a guy that got to make a few million.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Fair enough, for me I really don't hate these players. They play on the line and are entertaining to watch. They don't try to injure guys out there, it's subtle little things that rub most people the wrong way. For me that doesn't make me hate the player, I don't think they deserve to be hated to play the game like they do, it's efficient hence why people dislike it.

On the other hand guys like Gudas, Torres, Cooke, Marchand totally deserve the hate IMO.

The fact that Marchand is getting lumped in with Torres and Cooke makes me think the answer is Marchand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad