Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #2 prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
I think people are confused about what they are voting on. Best prospect in terms of NHL readiness right now? Or in terms of "potential"?

If it's in terms of NHL readiness how is Jordan Schroeder not much much higher?

That is a good question. I based it on potential not who is going to make the team next year. In that respect to me the top 2 are Horvat and Shinkaruk

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
while i agree on your opinion of corrado and that he has alot more to offer, he can hit, and has a powerful shot and skates well, etc and i think he'll be a top 4.. .but your argument is poor. alot of players can still round out their game and not earn a higher spot on the team.

For example, tanev, there is still a chance he never breaks the top 4. just because hes young doesnt' mean he is goign to go up the ranks for sure.

Corrado has a lot more skill and offensive ability than Tanev though, while also showing the excellent defensive play that makes Tanev good. Yes, Corrado could still bust, but it is very, very unlikely. The guy has all the tools, and the toolbox, to be a #2 defenseman in the mold of Hamhuis and Seabrook. He may not reach that level, but I personally see him as ready to be in the Top 4 as soon as this season.

Pseudonymous*

Corrado has a lot more skill and offensive ability than Tanev though, while also showing the excellent defensive play that makes Tanev good. Yes, Corrado could still bust, but it is very, very unlikely. The guy has all the tools, and the toolbox, to be a #2 defenseman in the mold of Hamhuis and Seabrook. He may not reach that level, but I personally see him as ready to be in the Top 4 as soon as this season.

i agree. i am only showing that a player can max out in terms of where they will be in the lineup at a young age. i do not think corrado has done so, he has alot of tools.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I think people are confused about what they are voting on. Best prospect in terms of NHL readiness right now? Or in terms of "potential"?

If it's in terms of NHL readiness how is Jordan Schroeder not much much higher?

most valuable

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Close race here, as I expected it to be. The funny part is that, at last check, Jensen finished 2nd to Horvat in poll 1... yet he's 3rd in poll 2. I guess none of the Horvat voters from the last poll think Nik is superior to Corrado or Shink?

Pseudonymous*

Close race here, as I expected it to be. The funny part is that, at last check, Jensen finished 2nd to Horvat in poll 1... yet he's 3rd in poll 2. I guess none of the Horvat voters from the last poll think Nik is superior to Corrado or Shink?

Maybe because theyre the same type of fans who are more attracted to the hype of the new prospects? *shrug*

TBIF

Jan 8, 2011
I'm still confused as to how Corrado is a better prospect then Gaunce?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

First poll went up before scrimmage game yesterday, and consensus seems to be that Jensen didn't look good. He also didn't put up the numbers in his first partial season with the Wolves. I want to see him produce on North American ice before I move him up this high in the prospect list.

As for Corrado, he's way overrated based on his steady play in a few call-up games at the end of last year. Sure, he's all but a lock avoid the bust label, but the question mark for me is his upside.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
For me it comes down to Gaunce or Shinkaruk. I won't rank Corrado this high based on upside at this point.

I'll say Gaunce because with his frame, he has less bust potential than Shinkaruk. I'm not at all saying I think Shinkaruk will bust, just saying he needs to add size.

He still has a lot of upside and an offensive game that he really didn't show during his limit time here. On other teams, he might be a top 4 as early as next year (of course with the depth/contract status/NTCs we have, pretty unlikely he'll actually be in a top 4 role anytime soon here unless someone somehow gets moved). Right now he's already in competition for the #6 dman spot with a lot of untapped upside. That makes him a very good prospect (i would argue he's a better prospect than Tanev was and should become a better/more complete player than Tanev and right now it seems like Tanev is almost a lock to be in the top 4 next year just because he's a RHS).

Gaunce projects to be peak of 2nd line 2 way center and bottom being 3rd line checking center. Value of that should be pretty similar to a top 4 dman with bottom of 3rd pairing.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Corrado for me. I think his upside is around Hamhuis/Beauchmin. Players who are defense first but isn't a complete black hole offensively but I'm probably overrating the hell out of him.

Pseudonymous*

I think he'll be more than just 'not an offensive black hole on D' - people are really overrating his offensive side.

He has the ability to run a PP IMO, he has a great shot and has wicked lateral movement on the point. He will be a top 4 d man who gets PP minutes, any player who is good on the PP gets plenty of opportunity to put up points.

Just hasn't got that opportunity here yet

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Man, this will be a contentious one.

I know! Hey undecided people, Shinkaruk is #9 and Captain of the Medicine Hat Tigers just like Trevor Linden was!

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I think he'll be more than just 'not an offensive black hole on D' - people are really overrating his offensive side.

He has the ability to run a PP IMO, he has a great shot and has wicked lateral movement on the point. He will be a top 4 d man who gets PP minutes, any player who is good on the PP gets plenty of opportunity to put up points.

Just hasn't got that opportunity here yet
You mean underrating, right? Based in the rest of your post, you seem to think he has high offensive upside.

From the times i've watched him in juniors on the PP, I have never felt he was a natural 1st PP unit kind of a guy. He lacks the high level of offensive creativity to do so. Yes, he has a great shot, but it is quite inaccurate, something he'll need to work on. Yes, he is a superb skater who can walk the line to get out of trouble. But i find he gets his points by being smart rather than being creative.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
You mean underrating, right? Based in the rest of your post, you seem to think he has high offensive upside.

From the times i've watched him in juniors on the PP, I have never felt he was a natural 1st PP unit kind of a guy. He lacks the high level of offensive creativity to do so. Yes, he has a great shot, but it is quite inaccurate, something he'll need to work on. Yes, he is a superb skater who can walk the line to get out of trouble. But i find he gets his points by being smart rather than being creative.
Excellent skating, smart, two-way game... Hate to use this guy for a comparison, but he has a lot in common with Duncan Keith, right down to the national team snub.

Lord Flacko*

Corrado is an absolute stud defensively, and very good offensively too.
I think he has the potential to be a Garrison.

The Produce Man

Master of Puppets
Feb 24, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I love Corrado, but I think he's getting a little over rated here. I don't see first pairing potential in him, more of a steady 2nd pairing guy is realistically where I think he tops out.

Voted Hunter Shinkaruk. Possibly a case of 'shiny new toy' syndrome, but I do think Shinkaruk has extremely high upside. Not sure why exactly he fell to us, but I think a lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves in a few years. I can't remember the last time we have drafted a player that has the offensive ceiling of Hunter. But I have seen a lot of people praising not only his offensive ability, but his compete level. Couple that with the fact that 1. He was largely considered a top-10 pick in the draft. 2. Will likely be playing for Canada at the WJCs in a top 6 role. Yeah, I'm excited.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I love Corrado, but I think he's getting a little over rated here. I don't see first pairing potential in him, more of a steady 2nd pairing guy is realistically where I think he tops out.

Voted Hunter Shinkaruk. Possibly a case of 'shiny new toy' syndrome, but I do think Shinkaruk has extremely high upside. Not sure why exactly he fell to us, but I think a lot of teams are going to be kicking themselves in a few years. I can't remember the last time we have drafted a player that has the offensive ceiling of Hunter. But I have seen a lot of people praising not only his offensive ability, but his compete level. Couple that with the fact that 1. He was largely considered a top-10 pick in the draft. 2. Will likely be playing for Canada at the WJCs in a top 6 role. Yeah, I'm excited.

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino