Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #2 prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They get the advantage because a guy like Schroeder is not as far long in his development at this age as they expected, not because being NHL ready is a disadvantage.

The newer guys do get the advantage in these polls because their upside is unknown and we're all dreamers, but if Schroeder was already a solid second liner and looked poised to continue improving (or if he won a Calder or something), do you still think the new guys would be viewed as being better prospects than him?

Agreed, I think the more boom/bust prospects get the most help early on because even if they are long shots, and most like to be optimistic early on

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I voted lack, surprised he is not doing better. As usual, their is a debate over ceiling vs NHL readiness, but I think Lack is high on either of the lists

Love

Feb 29, 2012
This shouldnt be about who is closest to the NHL, but who is the best prospect.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
I'd be content just to accept the results and move on to #3 if my guy "lost" this vote for #2. Who cares? It's not personal. It's not by any means final. And it most certainly is provisional, until more data is gathered, more performances reviewed, and the next vote rolls around.

I voted for Corrado but agonized until the last minute about voting instead for Shinkaruk, with Gaunce and Lack lurking prominently in the front of my mind.

If Shinkaruk "wins" the vote for #2, fair play, and I had half a mind to vote for him anyway. If he or any of these guys become stud players we're all the happier for it. There's no losing here, and next year this vote may seem quite funny in retrospect, which is often the case.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I thought Jensen was a shoe in.

I voted Jensen, but in a run off poll, I'd have to say Shinkaruk though. No disrespect to Corrado, but Hunter's tool box, high ceiling and, I think anyway, his likeliness of hitting said ceiling, all make him more appealing for a poll like this then Corrado, who is nearly NHL ready, but probably tops out as a 2nd pairing D.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
I don't think people realize what a gem the Canucks have in Shink. Skates well and is fast, offensively gifted and he competes, does not take games off. The only reason I think he fell is he is not huge (and even there he is not small) and is not a bruiser. A lot on the Leafs board could not believe they passed on him but they obviously wanted size and so took Gauthier instead

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
They get the advantage because a guy like Schroeder is not as far long in his development at this age as they expected, not because being NHL ready is a disadvantage.

The newer guys do get the advantage in these polls because their upside is unknown and we're all dreamers, but if Schroeder was already a solid second liner and looked poised to continue improving (or if he won a Calder or something), do you still think the new guys would be viewed as being better prospects than him?

They do but again remember we are talking about prospect not player in general. Reason ZK isn't in the discussion (yet younger than a couple on the list and a recent top 10 pick) and could even argue Schroeder shouldn't be since wasn't even in prospect camp (kinda like say he isn't really a prospect anymore). Once you develop a few years, you probably should be taken off the list since you already had a few professional season. Also reason i'm not voting for Lack in the next few threads.

I guess the "new toy" effect, just kinda pushes the fact the prospect(s) really aren't prospects anymore as the closer you are to making the team, the least likely you'll get votes. Corrado is of course somewhat of an exception since he jumped from Jr. to pretty much being on the team late in the season.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
We've done a tiebreaker every year if it's close. Who decides when the poll ends otherwise? It was 1 vote up for Corrado earlier, now it's 2 up for Shinkaruk...

The poll is timed to end at 1:39 pm tomorrow and Hunter is leading by 10. Not sure why a tiebreaker would be needed if that holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad