Prospect Info: Who is the Canucks #2 prospect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I fought tooth and nail in that Connauton/Corrado poll. Baffling result, to this day. Connauton should not have even been a top 10 prospect last off season.
where I learned not to doubt the feebs.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Voted Shinkaruk. If he reaches his upside (Kessel/Skinner) and Corrado reaches his (Hamhuis), then he is the more valuable asset. The argument that Corrado is closer to the NHL (true by virtue of being two years older) or more likely to reach his potential (debatable) holds less weight to me than the absolute value of the asset in doing this exercise.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Voted Shinkaruk but expect this to be close. Lots of offensive skill (something the organization lacks) that could really help us in a few seasons... doubt anyone comes close to him in terms of skill (out of our offensive prospects). For that matter, he's probably just as skilled offensively as any prospect on any team (of course he does have some holes in his game and likely won't be NHL ready for 2-4 seasons).

Gaunce looks like a decent 2 way center right now and is developing pretty nicely and had a good year. Could make a run at the 3rd line center spot but probably better off for his development be spend the year dominating Jr and playing for Team Canada.

Corrado had an amazing year and looks like he's probably our most ready skater. Could even make the team this year so very hard to not vote for him.

Jordan Schroeder probably is the favorite to be our 3rd line center right now and had a good year last year (at least a positive year) but probably won't get any love before the players i listed above him. Taking him a while to develop and its time for him to stop being a prospect already...

Lack should be interesting too... the backup position is his to lose but coming off major surgery leaves a ton of question marks. Other question is he really still a prospect when he'll need to clear waivers... He's also a UFA after this year i believe unless he plays 28 NHL games. Cory Schneider only played 25 games in his rookie year (which was a pretty good/amazing rookie year for us) so my guess is pretty unlikely Lack gets 28 unless Luongo gets hurt for an extended period.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Jensen.

I agree it's fairly close between Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Corrado, but Jensen has been the only of the 3 that has produced at a high level in pro hockey.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
It didn't baffle me. Coach playing favourites with Murphy, plus other politics at play.
Kudos to you! :p But I'm going to stick with baffling since I truly believed he did enough to make it an easy choice and Bobby Mac and Ferraro had him penciled in to a top 4/5 spot right before the cuts were announced.

He quite arguably outperformed every defenseman that wasnt a lock at camp, showed up defensively and scored a couple of goals too. He did everything he could have to make that team, but didn't. That in itself is baffling as is the reason why they have this fall WJC camp if the roster is already set at the summer camp.

I have him as our number 2 prospect and i am very excited to see him get another shot at a regular job in the nhl this year. I still think he has 40 goals a year upside, i see him very much like Jeff Carter as many people have mentioned
How does Jensen have 40 goal a year upside? How many players consistently score 40/yr? Extremely few, even Carter fluctuates regularly.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
If by NHL readiness, Corrado, but if strictly potential then Shinkaruk. I voted him #1, so I'll settle for #2.

Potential:
Shinkaruk
Jensen
Horvat
Schroeder
Corrado
Gaunce

Pseudonymous*

How does Jensen have 40 goal a year upside? How many players consistently score 40/yr? Extremely few, even Carter fluctuates regularly.

Who said consistently? I even said like Carter, who is not a consistent 40 goal scorer

Ah re read my post, i guess i can why you read it that way. I just meant 40 in a year upside. Worded it incorrectly

Should have known what i meant considering nobody gets that consistently :P

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
After watching the prospects camp my list for the top 5 looks like this:

1) Bo Horvat - Looks like a stud, has high upside and good NHL readiness for his age.
2) Nicklas Jensen - High upside that has shown he can play against men.
3) Hunter Shinkaruk - Oozes skill and potential.
4) Frank Corrado - Virtual NHL lock with some upside left.
5) Brendan Gaunce - Looks to be ready to take 3C duties, but could use more time to develop in junior.

Beyond that I think the next group has to include Lack, Schroeder, Mallet, Tommernes, and Subban, but I could be swayed on that.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Doubt he will be a constant 40 goal scorer but you could argue he could do it once given the SEL year he has. He has a very nasty shot and seems (at least in SEL) have the ability to get open to use his shot. Scoring 17 goals under 20 is an impressive feat (a very small list of NHL all-stars) and could have been higher if it wasn't due to him getting benched at the end of the year. Rather or not he can do that in the NHL (or AHL for that matter as he did not look all that good in the AHL last year after his SEL year) remains to be seen. I forgot about him when i made my post (thought i forgot someone lol) not that it changes anything as i think Hunter has an even better offensive tool set.

Pseudonymous*

1) Bo Horvat - Looks like a stud, has high upside and good NHL readiness for his age.
5) Brendan Gaunce - Looks to be ready to take 3C duties, but could use more time to develop in junior.

Beyond that I think the next group has to include Lack, Schroeder, Mallet, Tommernes, and Subban, but I could be swayed on that.

You just stealing my posts now? LOL

So I waited until after the scrimmage to give my list. Being a HUGE Jensen fan, not too happy with him at the scrimmage, not sure why he doesn't stand out more in these scrimmages :( I guess he doesn't have alot to prove, im sure he knows their organization is very aware of his skill but still.

But until he starts to change my mind again by having an outstanding year this upcoming year, hes lower on my list now

1. Horvat
2. Jensen
3. Shinkaruk
4. Corrado
5. Gaunce
6. Lack

Shinkaruk would be 2 but you just dont know how he'll age, with age, usually comes strength, i hope he can step it up in that area and hes not that quick for a small guy either, which was Shirokov's issue.. then again, hard to tell if his stamina and speed aren't great because they simply arent' great or because he was being played almost every shift of the game and was dog tired. either way i dont think it is a strength of his and with his size, it should be. Sure is going to be a fun prospect to follow, love this guy

So yes, i completely agree ;)

well maybe not 100 percent on the next group of prospects you listed though.

And my #3 and #4 could easily be swapped

Last edited by a moderator:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Subban is going to be interesting since i'm still not sure how high i would list him. He probably has the most offensive skill out of all our dman prospect but the catch is his size. As it stands right now, it'll be hard for him to be in the NHL (but of course he could still grow and there's no doubt he'll bulk up). I doubt i would list him in the top 10 this year but he could be the biggest mover if he suddenly grows a few inches.:laugh:

I think you forgot Andersson on your list. I actually expect him to play a NHL game or 2 this year (assuming our dmans get hurt... safe bet that all our dman will miss an odd game here and there, question is how often multiple are hurt at the same time). Besides Corrado, he's probably our most ready d prospect right now and could argue was the best dman in Chicago last year.

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
I agree that it's ridiculous to put all weight on readiness.

There's no one way to weight the relative criteria of likelihood and upside. Ideally, if there was an objective way to measure these things, we could. But since we don't, you can't assert that you should put more weight on skill as everyone will have different perceptions on things.

Part of the reason I put more weight on likelihood of success because I think we have a narrower range of outcomes with a player like Corrado, who has passed a number of hurdles through which a significant number of prospects fail. Just as those who place too much emphasis on readiness probably undervalue the value of having a player turn into a top end contributor, the other side tends to ignore the fact that younger prospects will always look brighter because they have a broader range of potential outcomes because they haven't yet had the chance to fail.

For me, I see Corrado as a near lock to be an NHL player with a strong likelihood of becoming a top-4 defenceman. I see Shinkaruk as having a decent chances of becoming a first line calibre player, a good chance of becoming a second line player, but also having a decent chance of becoming an outright bust. Shinkaruk has more variance in his potential outcomes, which gives him greater upside, but I don't think it overcomes Corrado's likelihood of success.

At the end of the day, prospect lists are more about how to rate prospects than the prospects themselves, as the views of the qualities of the prospects tend to differ less than the views of how to weight each quality.

Good post,

For me, the gap between Corrado and Shinkaruk's ceilings is not large enough to overcome the gap between their floors. Corrado for me.

I also think Corrado's ceiling is higher than others in the thread do. His early debut as a low minutes, soft competition d-man obscures his upside I think. I think he has Paul Martin/Dan Hamhuis type upside.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Kudos to you! :p But I'm going to stick with baffling since I truly believed he did enough to make it an easy choice and Bobby Mac and Ferraro had him penciled in to a top 4/5 spot right before the cuts were announced.
Don't mistake my cynicism for wisdom here. He absolutely should have made it, but when he didn't the BS at play was obvious.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Horvat was my pick for 1, but for me a very close second (and almost a toss-up) was Shinkaruk, so for me he is 2

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
For me it comes down to Gaunce or Shinkaruk. I won't rank Corrado this high based on upside at this point.

I'll say Gaunce because with his frame, he has less bust potential than Shinkaruk. I'm not at all saying I think Shinkaruk will bust, just saying he needs to add size.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Corrado likely will settle in as a 5-6 d-man.

If he anywhere in the top of the Canucks prospect rankings, they are in trouble.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Looks like it is already a two horse race between Shinkaruk and Corrado.

Voted Shinkaruk because of his higher upside.

This, Corrado's ceiling might be as a 4th Dman it's too early to tell but he doesn't scream top pairing while hunter has the skills to be a top line sniper.

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
I think people are confused about what they are voting on. Best prospect in terms of NHL readiness right now? Or in terms of "potential"?

If it's in terms of NHL readiness how is Jordan Schroeder not much much higher?

Pseudonymous*

Yes, a 20 year old defenseman has most definitely hit his ceiling. :facepalm:

while i agree on your opinion of corrado and that he has alot more to offer, he can hit, and has a powerful shot and skates well, etc and i think he'll be a top 4.. .but your argument is poor. alot of players can still round out their game and not earn a higher spot on the team.

For example, tanev, there is still a chance he never breaks the top 4. just because hes young doesnt' mean he is goign to go up the ranks for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad