Who is the better player between Marner Matthews tavares

Who's the best player between the following ?

• Marner

Votes: 250 54.8%
  • Matthews

Votes: 116 25.4%
  • Tavares

Votes: 90 19.7%

• Total voters

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
I’m gonna vote Tavares just because he is the leader of the team. But Marner may be our most productive player. Matthews needs to play a full season or at least not 10+.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Right now, it's either Tavares or Matthews. Marner's been fantastic too, but I think his style of play gets him a bit overrated currently.

Next season, I'd be shocked if Matthews doesn't firmly separate himself as the best.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Right now, it's either Tavares or Matthews. Marner's been fantastic too, but I think his style of play gets him a bit overrated currently.

Next season, I'd be shocked if Matthews doesn't firmly separate himself as the best.
His The highest scorer that pretty hard to overrate.

And no Matthews won't seperate himself from anyone except maybe show us that he indeed is second fiddle to Tavares and Marner. Maybe after next season people in Toronto Will see this also. Which is quite funny since Toronto fans should have The most insight and viewing of their team, and still Every one seems to consider Matthews The best or clearly The best of their players

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
His The highest scorer that pretty hard to overrate.

And no Matthews won't seperate himself from anyone except maybe show us that he indeed is second fiddle to Tavares and Marner. Maybe after next season people in Toronto Will see this also. Which is quite funny since Toronto fans should have The most insight and viewing of their team, and still Every one seems to consider Matthews The best or clearly The best of their players

Maybe we consider him the best because like you said we do watch him more. btw, Leafs fans probably are split in who they think is better with maybe a slight majority thinking Marner is better right now. Most do think Matthews will be better going forward.

Matthews is clearly the most talented though. The way he produces with even when playing with players like Marleau and Brown is exceptional, especially considering he doesn't get the ice time most stars do.

Last edited:

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
Maybe we consider him the best because like you said we do watch him more. btw, Leafs fans probably are split in who they think is better with maybe a slight majority thinking Marner is better right now. Most do think Matthews will be better going forward.

Matthews is clearly the most talented though. The way he produces with even when playing with players like Marleau and Brown is exceptional, especially considering he doesn't get the ice time most stars do.

I think it has way more to do with The fact that Matthews was taken 1 OA a year after McDavid and he got hyped to no end cause of The media trying to establish him as same lvl of talent. Now that he hasnt lived up to McDavid (no knock on Matthews) and seems to be "just another superstar" its hard for leafs fans to let go of what he was made out to be and its just impossile to accept that a 4OA, even if hi is your Guy aswell, is indeed The better player. Let alone a summer RFA signing being better also.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Stupid fat fingers misclicked on Matthews but the answer here is Marner. Might change in the future but I still put my money on Marner even then.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
I think it has way more to do with The fact that Matthews was taken 1 OA a year after McDavid and he got hyped to no end cause of The media trying to establish him as same lvl of talent. Now that he hasnt lived up to McDavid (no knock on Matthews) and seems to be "just another superstar" its hard for leafs fans to let go of what he was made out to be and its just impossile to accept that a 4OA, even if hi is your Guy aswell, is indeed The better player. Let alone a summer RFA signing being better also.

This is hilarious. Do you guys watch the same game we do? No, Matthews is not near McDavid. Not many players are. It's absolutely hilarious though how underrated he's getting recently. I literally think it's because everyone wants Marner to get paid more than Matthews/Tavares so they prop up Marner and shit on Matthews any chance they get.

I get it though... if I hated the Leafs and they had not one, not two but three superstars on their team, I'd find every excuse to rationalize why they might fail. Lucky for us, our window is just opening and Marner/Matthews haven't even shown us what they can really do.

Let's look back at this thread in, say, 3 years? I don't even care if I'm biased, but 90% of the people saying "Marner>Tavares>>>>Matthews" or "it's Marner, then Tavares and then Matthews way, way down there" are either just as biased or clearly can't comprehend what they see on the ice.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
This is hilarious. Do you guys watch the same game we do? No, Matthews is not near McDavid. Not many players are. It's absolutely hilarious though how underrated he's getting recently. I literally think it's because everyone wants Marner to get paid more than Matthews/Tavares so they prop up Marner and **** on Matthews any chance they get.

I get it though... if I hated the Leafs and they had not one, not two but three superstars on their team, I'd find every excuse to rationalize why they might fail. Lucky for us, our window is just opening and Marner/Matthews haven't even shown us what they can really do.

Let's look back at this thread in, say, 3 years? I don't even care if I'm biased, but 90% of the people saying "Marner>Tavares>>>>Matthews" or "it's Marner, then Tavares and then Matthews way, way down there" are either just as biased or clearly can't comprehend what they see on the ice.

This is The most deluded and insecure thing Ive read on these boards ever.

Who would Any one on their right mind think that giving an opinion/shitting on or what ever on a player on a internet Forum have The slightest of correlation on their next contract? What on The world.... Damn.

I see what I see and Matthews can prove me wrong in 3 years I won't mind. Right now there just is no debate.

For The Record I dont hate Any sports team since why would I? Gives me nothing. I enjoy good sports and show. Be it by a rival or My team.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I voted Tavares for now because he's the most consistent and has the fewest flaws in his game, even if he doesn't have the skating/playmaking of Marner or Matthews' wristshot.

Marner is having an epic season, Tavares is having is best season and mathews is having a rough season.

If this is a rough season, well, I'll take it. Keep in mind that Marner and Tavares spent most of their time playing with each other 5v5.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
This is The most deluded and insecure thing Ive read on these boards ever.

Who would Any one on their right mind think that giving an opinion/****ting on or what ever on a player on a internet Forum have The slightest of correlation on their next contract? What on The world.... Damn.

I see what I see and Matthews can prove me wrong in 3 years I won't mind. Right now there just is no debate.

For The Record I dont hate Any sports team since why would I? Gives me nothing. I enjoy good sports and show. Be it by a rival or My team.

When did I say that anything you or anyone else says has any correlation with their next contract? Of course it doesn't... why the f*** would it mean anything in the actual negotiation? Doesn't mean you can't make yourself believe that though. People can still want to believe it so much that they actually start to think it's "Marner>Tavares>>>>Matthews". That's what's showing through here. But sure, put words in my mouth.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
When did I say anything you or anyone else says has any correlation with their next contract? Of course it doesn't... why the **** would it mean anything in the actual negotiation? Doesn't mean you can't make yourself believe that though. People can still want to believe it so much that they actually start to think it's "Marner>Tavares>>>>Matthews". That's what's showing through here. But sure, put words in my mouth.
You were The one who suggested that ridiculousness in the first place.

What is showing through is actually what I implied earlier that Matthews has Been put on such a high pedestal is that his own fans (not sure If only fans of Matthews not Toronto in general?) Cant accept The fact that he is indeed right now The 3rd best player on The team.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
You were The one who suggested that ridiculousness in the first place.

What is showing through is actually what I implied earlier that Matthews has Been put on such a high pedestal is that his own fans (not sure If only fans of Matthews not Toronto in general?) Cant accept The fact that he is indeed right now The 3rd best player on The team.

Is it so far-fetched to believe that many of you actually believe the words coming out of your mouths? I'm not contending the opinion that Matthews might be the third best player out of 3 superstars. Sure, why not? This season there is definitely a case for both Marner and Tavares to being better players than Matthews. Let's not pretend the gap is as big as you seem to suggest though. Going forward, I expect it to be Matthews>Marner>Tavares especially as Tavares gets older and begins to slow down while the other two ramp it up even more.

At the end of the day, though, we have all three so it doesn't matter.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Really? You think both have been better this season than Marner? It's not hard to tell that Tavares isn't better than Marner when they both play on the same line, I think this poll has got it right for now. I mean this is the second season in a row he will have led our team in points and also was easily our best player last playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I voted Tavares for now because he's the most consistent and has the fewest flaws in his game, even if he doesn't have the skating/playmaking of Marner or Matthews' wristshot.

If this is a rough season, well, I'll take it. Keep in mind that Marner and Tavares spent most of their time playing with each other 5v5.

It's actually pretty impressive how Matthews has produced considering his icetime, linemates and half the time he seems to be coasting around this season and having us wondering if injuries are still effecting him. Like you said, if this is a bad season for him that bodes extremely well for a 21 year old player, or a player of any age for that matter.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
All three are equally amazing. They’re a three-headed monster. Can’t go wrong with any of them.
This is the first thing you've posted that I agree with. I can't understand the bewildered responses when someone thinks Marner or JT is better than Matthews; equally confused by the opposite as well.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Marner has been the best of the three this season, IMO. Then Tavares, then Matthews.

Really looking forward to seeing how Dubas handles the RFA negotiations on this one. :laugh:

<Hands over blank cheque>
"Write whatever number you want. Don't worry. We hired dudes to make the cap work. It'll be fine."

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
<Hands over blank cheque>
"Write whatever number you want. Don't worry. We hired dudes to make the cap work. It'll be fine."

:laugh:

Nylander is making over $10 mil this season, and we may see another front-loaded contract for Marner as well.

Hopefully Dubas learned from his last scuffle and doesn't let this one drag on into late November again.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Marner is legit; much better than I pegged him at the start of the year. I give him a lot of credit. Good two-way player too, which bodes really well for him. I like him moving forward for that team, if they can sign him and maintain some kind of group to insulate them.

From this year, it's clearly Marner, Tavares, Matthews in that order.
It could change. If you're a Leafs fan, you really hope it does. You just paid one of those dudes the second highest contract in the league; you kind of hope he becomes the second best player in the league.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Tavares is a washed up old bum.

Matthews is inconsistent and will most likely bust.

Marner is one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad