Who is the better player between Marner Matthews tavares

Who's the best player between the following ?

• Marner

Votes: 250 54.8%
  • Matthews

Votes: 116 25.4%
  • Tavares

Votes: 90 19.7%

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lol well your 'thoughts' are wrong.

View attachment 210435

View attachment 210437

I'm not saying Marner is only having this season because he's playing with Tavares, but the hype for the guy is out of control. Tavares is clearly (and I mean clearly) the primary play driver on his line. Wouldn't even consider Marner a top-3 play driver on this team, let alone the best.

You said they drive play 'far' better than him, that's just false. Marner is the main puck carrier on that line, turns the puck over less, takes it away more and is the better skater and stick handler. This is one case where watching every game will tell you who the better player is. Nylander is the best play driver on the team too, but he's not actually as good as the other 3

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Lol well your 'thoughts' are wrong.

View attachment 210435

View attachment 210437

I'm not saying Marner is only having this season because he's playing with Tavares, but the hype for the guy is out of control. Tavares is clearly (and I mean clearly) the primary play driver on his line. Wouldn't even consider Marner a top-3 play driver on this team, let alone the best.

What do the graphs illustrate exactly? I'm not familiar with RAPM.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
RAPM and other isolated metrics tend to underrate playmakers. marner is an elite playmaker as his A1 rate this year shows

Sure elite playmaker, but calling him one of the three best play drivers on our team is silly. I mean, look at the top-6 in the league at Primary Assists at Evens: Marner, Crosby, Panarin, McDavid, Huberdeau, and Kucherov. All but Huberdeau are widely known as elite playmakers as well. Of those guys, there's a legit argument he's the worst at driving play, and that includes Huberdeau..

Don't buy the excuse.

upload_2019-4-7_17-3-24.png

upload_2019-4-7_17-3-55.png

upload_2019-4-7_17-4-30.png

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You said they drive play 'far' better than him, that's just false. Marner is the main puck carrier on that line, turns the puck over less, takes it away more and is the better skater and stick handler. This is one case where watching every game will tell you who the better player is. Nylander is the best play driver on the team too, but he's not actually as good as the other 3

Analytically those features aren't considered "driving play" as driving is about generating chances by yourself. When it comes to the Leafs forwards though, Marner is one of the better ones, no question. He's just not in the same tier of chance generation as Tavares, Nylander, and Matthews. By xG RAPM, he's actually 6th on the team behind Hyman (yes, he's been that amazing) and Kapanen as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe on the PP, but even that's far too much credit with all that talent.

Tavares and Matthews drive play far better than him.

"Play driving" seems like the wrong choice of phrase then for what you're going for, because most associate "play driving" with "guy who creates the chances", and I don't see how you can possibly think Tavares creates more chances than Marner when Marner's the guy who handles the puck the most on that line.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sure elite playmaker, but calling him one of the three best play drivers on our team is silly. I mean, look at the top-6 in the league at Primary Assists at Evens: Marner, Crosby, Panarin, McDavid, Huberdeau, and Kucherov. All but Huberdeau are widely known as elite playmakers as well. Of those guys, there's a legit argument he's the worst at driving play, and that includes Huberdeau..

Don't buy the excuse.

View attachment 210443

View attachment 210445

View attachment 210447
yeah but i think based on his play style a guy like marner creates more pre-shot movement than those other guys, which xg stats dont take into account rly

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Analytically those features aren't considered "driving play" as driving is about generating chances by yourself. When it comes to the Leafs forwards though, Marner is one of the better ones, no question. He's just not in the same tier of chance generation as Tavares, Nylander, and Matthews. By xG RAPM, he's actually 6th on the team behind Hyman (yes, he's been that amazing) and Kapanen as well.

Oh okay, well at some point quality of chances have to come into play here, that's why I originally questioned the far better part, but w.e atleast we've got them all heading into the playoffs so here's to hoping we get past the 1st round.

Reactions: Morgs

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
"Play driving" seems like the wrong choice of phrase then for what you're going for, because most associate "play driving" with "guy who creates the chances", and I don't see how you can possibly think Tavares creates more chances than Marner when Marner's the guy who handles the puck the most on that line.

Honestly it does seem funny hearing that Tavares is a far better play driver than Marner having watched every Leafs game this season.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Agreed. Masquerading around an XG model that, at best, loosely correlates with wins at the macro level as play-driving at the micro level is silly.

Honestly it does seem funny hearing that Tavares is a far better play driver than Marner having watched every Leafs game this season.

A symptom of dying on the Nylander>Marner hill.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You really need to stop this. Your history with player evaluation is abysmal. Primary points don't lie. A cursory glance at a few games will tell you how many sweet passes from him get missed above all the ones that get put in the net.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
hes trying to use individual impact stats for play driving ability but those are definitely biased towards shooters/finishers as opposed to the top tier playmakers like marner

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Tavares, though I do see the argument for Marner. Tavares is the 1C, gets the tough matchups, 3rd in the NHL in goals. This season he was their best player. I would expect this to change as of next year.

If its Marner then the leafs cap is f***ED up.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You really need to stop this. Your history with player evaluation is abysmal. Primary points don't lie. A cursory glance at a few games will tell you how many sweet passes from him get missed above all the ones that get put in the net.

My history with player evaluation? Aka you don't like the fact I call Marner overrated and Nylander underrated.

Reactions: Menzinger

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well it was a fact during the 2017-18 season that he was the more valuable player, so ya.
Ok. Nylander had less points and Marner despite playing with a #1 center. Marner had 1.13 pts per game after January combined with being the best leaf in the playoffs. But Nylander WAS better.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Ok. Nylander had less points and Marner despite playing with a #1 center. Marner had 1.13 pts per game after January combined with being the best leaf in the playoffs. But Nylander WAS better.

Yup. More even strength points, more p1 5v5, better chance generation, better defensively, and much better GAR. But sure, keep going on with the "half a season" argument.

This season Marner has been much better, but we'll see going into next year.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Those saying Mitch AINEC

AM ppg 1.07
MM ppg 1.14

over a full season that is 5.74 points while getting 1.5 mins more in ice time (which is 120 mins over a season or about 5-6 games worth of ice time) and playing with JT and Hyman. Mitch has every advantage and is barely out scoring him. Basically you give Matthews Hyman back and he matches or exceeds Mitch. Give him another minute and a half and this isn't a conversation. Give Matthews a Tavares level player and Marner lovers would wonder what happened.

I know guys love their Marner but the facts just don't support it.....
The extra ice time Marner gets is all PK. :help:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sidney the Kidney, recently said that Rielly sucks, now he's telling me that Marner does too.
Hmmmm....

What? Are you sure you're even reading my posts? You literally ascribed two comments to me I never made.

Like how in the hell do you get me saying "Marner sucks" from my posts in this thread when I've been the one calling him his line's play driver?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad