Who is the better player between Marner Matthews tavares

Who's the best player between the following ?

• Marner

Votes: 250 54.8%
  • Matthews

Votes: 116 25.4%
  • Tavares

Votes: 90 19.7%

• Total voters

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If I had a choice to take one today........easy choice. Marner without any hesitation, when factoring performance, skill, age and contract.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
HF is going to say Marner because they want him payed more than Matthews to screw the leafs cap. Luckily real NHL agents and employees don’t base their numbers off polls.

Seems like a lot of leafs fans are saying Marner as well so that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

And not like Dubas is looking at this poll while deciding what to pay Marner.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
How would you know? Matthews is just getting started, and Tavares is still in his prime and still has time to be a major player for some playoff runs. Matthews and Tavares achieving what Forsberg and Sakic did is the hope, and it is a hope, but they are among the most realistic of all candidates today to do it.

No... they aren't. Neither will be close to Sakic and Forsberg don't get this twisted.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
All three are equally amazing. They’re a three-headed monster. Can’t go wrong with any of them.
No they are not. Like Kuch, Stamkos, Point arent either. Marner is The best followed by Tavares and them Matthews. They are all great players but not on The same lvl.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think Matthews could be the best if he had the intensity that Marner had, but he seems really inconsistent to me with effort level. Marner plays hard every game. I voted Marner, but could change in the future.

This is basically it. Matthews was better, and should be better going forward, but he mostly hasn't been better since late last season if I'm being honest, offensively or defensively except for short stretches here and there.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Tavares has 47 goals and 37 of them are at even strength (leads the league). He also drives play better than both Marner and Matthews according to possession stats. He’s getting underrated here in a big way.

If Tavares scores 40 ES goals he’ll be the first player since Stamkos (48 ES goals in 11-12) to do it. Ovechkin also did it once in 07-08 (43 ES goals). Other than Ovechkin and Stamkos each doing it once, it hasn’t happened since the 90s.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Marner is having an epic season, Tavares is having is best season and mathews is having a rough season.

Voted for my boy marner.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Marner is having an epic season, Tavares is having is best season and mathews is having a rough season.

Voted for my boy marner.
Most players are setting new career highs this season. Scoring is up. Tavares had 86 points in 2014-15 and was 1 point away from winning the Art Ross. Right now, he has 88 points and is 16th in scoring. 2014-15 was more impressive.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
It's honestly hilarious that Matthews was seen as good right until he signed his contract, now he's a disappointment. Marner is now seen as a god, but he's gonna be overpaid as soon as he gets signed.

Honestly I don't know who the best is, but it doesn't matter, they're all Leafs.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Its Matthews, when he's on he's at a level the other two can't match. Marner and JT are having slightly better seasons glued to each others hips and healthy all season. Since Matthews and Nylander got reunited he's mostly been just as good, he's certainly still the best player on this team going forward.

Edit: sorry, I answered this thread seriously, I can tell by the other responses that was a waste of time. Both guys are ">>>>" than Matthews, yep, I'm sure you guys know the Leafs.
Wow. Who would have thought.When he's on he's the best.To bad he's rarely on compared to Marner.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Tavares has 47 goals and 37 of them are at even strength (leads the league). He also drives play better than both Marner and Matthews according to possession stats. He’s getting underrated here in a big way.

If Tavares scores 40 ES goals he’ll be the first player since Stamkos (48 ES goals in 11-12) to do it. Ovechkin also did it once in 07-08 (43 ES goals). Other than Ovechkin and Stamkos each doing it once, it hasn’t happened since the 90s.

That is pretty crazy, and he's not a bad defensive player either. It's amazing what he can do while being limited in his skating speed compared to most players in the league now, such a smart player and strong on the puck, arguably the best player in the world infront of the net.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
If there was a legitimate time to have the “Leafs fan voting _____” vs “Neutral (lol!) fan voting ______” option in a poll, this was it.

I can see why many people think Marner is the best. He’s certainly been the most noticeable on many nights carrying the puck this season. However, all three bring a very different style of play, and both Tavares and Matthews do things that Marner simply cannot do. I think that’s part of the reason Marner and Tavares work so well together.

Let’s not forget that neither Marner or Matthews are a finished product yet. Honestly, as a Leaf fan who has watched every shift of their NHL careers, I can say that neither is vastly better than the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad