Who is the better player between Marner Matthews tavares

Who's the best player between the following ?

• Marner

Votes: 250 54.8%
  • Matthews

Votes: 116 25.4%
  • Tavares

Votes: 90 19.7%

• Total voters

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Matthews > Marner > Tavares

Marner and Tavares get to feed off of each other, and are both ELITE ELITE players

Matthews up very similar numbers, and does so playing with significantly lesser line mates.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Right now: Marner=Matthews=Tavares.
Future ceiling: Matthews>Marner>Tavares

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Those saying Mitch AINEC

AM ppg 1.07
MM ppg 1.14

over a full season that is 5.74 points while getting 1.5 mins more in ice time (which is 120 mins over a season or about 5-6 games worth of ice time) and playing with JT and Hyman. Mitch has every advantage and is barely out scoring him. Basically you give Matthews Hyman back and he matches or exceeds Mitch. Give him another minute and a half and this isn't a conversation. Give Matthews a Tavares level player and Marner lovers would wonder what happened.

I know guys love their Marner but the facts just don't support it.....

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Those saying Mitch AINEC

AM ppg 1.07
MM ppg 1.14

over a full season that is 5.74 points while getting 1.5 mins more in ice time (which is 120 mins over a season or about 5-6 games worth of ice time) and playing with JT and Hyman. Mitch has every advantage and is barely out scoring him. Basically you give Matthews Hyman back and he matches or exceeds Mitch. Give him another minute and a half and this isn't a conversation. Give Matthews a Tavares level player and Marner lovers would wonder what happened.

Exactly. That being said, it's insane that we have all three. The future is bright!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Exactly. That being said, it's insane that we have all three. The future is bright!
Yeah it is a nice problem to have, especially with 2 of them Centers . It's also nice to have JT as Matthews insurance since AM is having some trouble staying healthy.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Unless you rate goals as >>>>>>>>>>> assists, how can you possibly believe this? Especially after this season where Marner's basically been the offensive catalyst for the Leafs.

Maybe on the PP, but even that's far too much credit with all that talent.

Tavares and Matthews drive play far better than him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Those saying Mitch AINEC

AM ppg 1.07
MM ppg 1.14

It's amusing seeing Toronto fans now wanting Hyman back on Matthews' line, given how Hyman was basically the scapegoat the past couple of seasons for holding Matthews back from better numbers.

In one season he went from "OMG Babcock's hands of stone pet should be on the 4th line because all he does is ruin the chances Matthews' creates!" to "If Matthews had Hyman again, he'd be putting up better numbers than Marner!"

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's amusing seeing Toronto fans now wanting Hyman back on Matthews' line, given how Hyman was basically the scapegoat the past couple of seasons for holding Matthews back from better numbers.

In one season he went from "OMG Babcock's hands of stone pet should be on the 4th line because all he does is ruin the chances Matthews' creates!" to "If Matthews had Hyman again, he'd be putting up better numbers than Marner!"
It's amusing you think we all think the same. Some of us saw what Hyman can do. He's pretty good at getting the puck.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's amusing you think we all think the same. Some of us saw what Hyman can do. He's pretty good at getting the puck.

Fair enough. I'm just basing it on every single discussion I had this past summer about Matthews and how Hyman was the one brought up who negatively affected his point totals.

I've always thought Hyman got a bum rap. He may be an issue if he's the best winger on a line, but he slots in really well as the third wheel who does the grunt work to open up space to allow the other two skilled guys to do their thing.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Those saying Mitch AINEC

AM ppg 1.07
MM ppg 1.14

To be fair, the difference in ice time is solely due to PK time for Marner:

ES time:
Matthews = 15:57/gp
Marner = 15:53/gp

PP time:
Matthews = 2:34/gp
Marner = 2:35/gp

PK time:
Matthews = 0:02/gp
Marner = 1:21/gp

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Marner pretty easily. Matthews doesn’t impress me at all when I watch him. Marner’s better offensively and defensively imo, Matthews just has the shot

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner was the best player on the team this season all things considered. Matthews when he comes to play is better, and should be better in the future. It's tough to say Tavares has been better when he wouldn't have scored nearly half his goals without Marner providing him tap ins.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Unless you rate goals as >>>>>>>>>>> assists, how can you possibly believe this?

Goals certainly are more valuable than perfunctory second assists. That's not a slight on Marner who was behind only Kucherov and McDavid in primary assists, but Tavares and Matthews also had virtually identical primary point percentages (82%).

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Matthews but it’s hard because he and marner are different type of players.

Tavares is a top ten center and marner had a killer yeAr, I think everyone was expecting even leaf fans that marner would have more points then Matthews due to playing with Tavares and JT benefittted from playing wth marner just as much.

Matthews and Eichel finished with the exact same PPG two seasons In a row if you count Mathews playoffs but if we don’t Matthews had the better PPG last year by a little while Eichel did in 16/-17. If anyone’s wondering why I’m saying this it’s because I wasn’t going to make a thread about it but I wanted to just mention that. I find it absolutely insane how close their PPGs always are going back even to pre NHL when their numbers literally mirrored each other then too.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Marner
Tavares

Matthews

The two who you have on a separate level seemingly then Matthews given the space in your post have each other while Matthews doesent have the most amazing linematess, just saying

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't think so lol.

Lol well your 'thoughts' are wrong.

upload_2019-4-7_16-45-0.png

upload_2019-4-7_16-45-21.png

I'm not saying Marner is only having this season because he's playing with Tavares, but the hype for the guy is out of control. Tavares is clearly (and I mean clearly) the primary play driver on his line. Wouldn't even consider Marner a top-3 play driver on this team, let alone the best.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Lol well your 'thoughts' are wrong.

View attachment 210435

View attachment 210437

I'm not saying Marner is only having this season because he's playing with Tavares, but the hype for the guy is out of control. Tavares is clearly (and I mean clearly) the primary play driver on his line. Wouldn't even consider Marner a top-3 play driver on this team, let alone the best.
RAPM and other isolated metrics tend to underrate playmakers. marner is an elite playmaker as his A1 rate this year shows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad