Who is the better player between Marner Matthews tavares

Who's the best player between the following ?

• Marner

Votes: 250 54.8%
  • Matthews

Votes: 116 25.4%
  • Tavares

Votes: 90 19.7%

• Total voters

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
lol. It's Matthews and it is obvious to most people. Everyone in the know, coaches, GM's, media all know it's Matthews. HF thinks it's Marner.

Considering the ice time and line mate disparity this is not hard to figure out with production so close.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I like Marner the most personally, but you can't go wrong with either of them. Somebody could certainly make a compelling case for each of the 3

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Tough call. They are all so good, and will be so good for a long time. It would be like if you added Paul Kariya to the mid-late 1990’s Colorado Avalanche that already had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg up the middle.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Tough call. They are all so good, and will be so good for a long time. It would be like if you added Paul Kariya to the mid-late 1990’s Colorado Avalanche that already had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg up the middle.

Let's not get carried away here. They're all elite but Sakic and Foppa were better than Tavares and likely better than Matthews ever will be too.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Let's not get carried away here. They're all elite but Sakic and Foppa were better than Tavares and likely better than Matthews ever will be too.

How would you know? Matthews is just getting started, and Tavares is still in his prime and still has time to be a major player for some playoff runs. Matthews and Tavares achieving what Forsberg and Sakic did is the hope, and it is a hope, but they are among the most realistic of all candidates today to do it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
How would you know? Matthews is just getting started, and Tavares is still in his prime and still has time to be a major player for some playoff runs. Matthews and Tavares achieving what Forsberg and Sakic did is the hope, and it is a hope, but they are among the most realistic of all candidates today to do it.

Tavares is already way too behind. He's still elite and great C but he's not going to be top-20 C all-time. Odds are Matthews won't be either but he's still got a chance.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Tavares is already way too behind. He's still elite and great C but he's not going to be top-20 C all-time. Odds are Matthews won't be either but he's still got a chance.

Tavares may not ever be top 20 all time, but you’d be surprised what a cup will do for someone of Tavares’ stature and past achievements. He may make it closer than you think.

It’s about as close a comparison as you can get today. Prime Sakic, newcomer Forsberg in the mid-late 90’s. Before they had full careers that you look at in hindsight. Prime Tavares, newcomer Matthews now. Be offended all you want; the parallels are there.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Its Matthews, when he's on he's at a level the other two can't match. Marner and JT are having slightly better seasons glued to each others hips and healthy all season. Since Matthews and Nylander got reunited he's mostly been just as good, he's certainly still the best player on this team going forward.

Edit: sorry, I answered this thread seriously, I can tell by the other responses that was a waste of time. Both guys are ">>>>" than Matthews, yep, I'm sure you guys know the Leafs.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Tavares may not ever be top 20 all time, but you’d be surprised what a cup will do for someone of Tavares’ stature and past achievements. He may make it closer than you think.

It’s about as close a comparison as you can get today. Prime Sakic, newcomer Forsberg in the mid-late 90’s. Before they had full careers that you look at in hindsight. Prime Tavares, newcomer Matthews now. Be offended all you want; the parallels are there.

I'm not offended. That's ridiculous.

I can see the comparison. I just don't think it's going to be all that close when things are done.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Its Matthews, when he's on he's at a level the other two can't match. Marner and JT are having slightly better seasons glued to each others hips and healthy all season. Since Matthews and Nylander got reunited he's mostly been just as good, he's certainly still the best player on this team going forward.

Edit: sorry, I answered this thread seriously, I can tell by the other responses that was a waste of time. Both guys are ">>>>" than Matthews, yep, I'm sure you guys know the Leafs.

Matthews would probably be the most threatening to other fans. Tavares is 28, whereas the other two are 21. Lots more potential for cumulative damage over many years from Matthews and Marner than Tavares. And a dangerous Matthews that reaches his potential most likely means a cup, given his team support, and that is the ultimate nightmare.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Marner.
When the Oilers were set to pick 3rd in 2015 before the draft lotto got us McJesus (praise the lord) he was the guy I wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad