Who Is The Best Player That Nobody Talks About?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Defense wins championships and Carolina missed the playoffs. An excellent defense in Chicago made Darling look like a starter. Something ain't adding up in Carolina with their insanely overrated group of bottom paring D-man and decent 2nd paring player in Slavin... Also lets not forget that an opposing players sneezes this group of D-man they go running to mommy. S.o.f.t., butter in 100 degrees soft, so soft it transcends a solid state and goes to liquid type soft.
I must say that labelling Slavin as a top 5 defensive dman gave me pause. Really?

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Jaccob Slavin. He's already a top 20-25 defenseman in the league at 24 and only going to get better. Not only a top 5 shutdown defenseman in the NHL but an insanely gifted passer. Carolina's blueline as a whole is extremely underrated. Hamilton is elite but gets dismissed as a one-dimensional player, Faulk and Pesce are both terrific as well. Jake Bean is one of the more underrated defense prospects too.

This. Watch Slavin's game last night. Just watch it. He should have been #1 Star of the Game. He's amazing.

Reactions: Unsustainable

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Gaudreau. He bad a career high 84 points this season and is rarely talked about. Probably the least talked about 84 point season in a while.

To be fair, nine guys had 90+ points last year and Gaudreau's 84 had him tied for 16th in league scoring (or 18th if you give the edge to the other two who had more goals).

The year before, only one guy had 90+ points and 84 would have been good for 7th in the league. In 2015-2016, 84 would have been 4th in points.

84 points in some seasons deserves more/less recognition than it gets in others.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I said this before but since this thread is back I'll say it again, guys like Barkov, Kessel, Trochek, Seguin, Gaudreau, Slavin,etc all get talked about a lot. Someone like Mats Zucarello might be a little more under the radar and doesn't get talked about anywhere near as much as someone like Slavin even though Zucarello plays in NYC and Slavin plays in Carolina. Slavin would have been a good choice a couple of years ago but not now.

Reactions: Benedict Kovalchuk

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Mikko Rantanen is so underrated that only gets mentioned a couple times in a thread about underrated players. 84 points at 20 years old. Only getting better. Physical with all the tools. He doesn't ride anyone's coattails. He is a reason why MacKinnon took off. These two are going to make beautiful mountaintop music for many years to come.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
First off this completely depends if we’re talking now media, Every day life or in HFboards/internet.

I’ll include them all. Every day life it’s McDavid. Any hockey fan knows him but I remember everyone knowing obviously Wayne and Mario and ten twelve yeArs ago I remember everyone knowing Sid and Ovechkin. These days it’s Alarming how many Canadians know the NHL will catch it here and there but aren’t even sure what his name is I’ve heard don’t they have that Sid he kid, Connor mcgregor? Cringe cringe.

For the media, for how good he is evgeni Malkin never really got the props he deserved. It reminds me of Francis on the pens when jagr Stevens Lemieux were there. It’s like marner with JT and Matthews he would be special somewhere else or possibly a franchise player but in Toronto he will never have a chance due to the other two at real exposure. However it also helps him in some ways to up his point totals and be apart of potentially a championship team as it has Malkin.

On the net and media combined, I always felt Monahan, Trocheck, Huberdeau in some ways Barlov because Of how good and so far dadonov (noticing a theme here?) speaking of a few on the same team, finally Ryan Pulock of the isles, such a good player and Bailey and Lee both as well. Anders lee had the quietest back to back forth goal seasons I’ve ever seen. Giroux now but that’s because he kind of went away for awhile same with getzlaf but that was due to injury.

And just because I pay a lot of attention to podcasts, panels shows so often I have to mention this and I don’t care who is mad and I will explain why I did. Now first, totally understand why and I totally understand how but as far as Canadian media goes, I’m sorry but it’s still very much Jack Eichel until it changes. That’s what the thread asked it didn’t say who’s the least talked about good player, it says who’s the BEST who isn’t talked about regularly or at least that’s how i interpreted it. I couldn’t tell you from American media though. Now I don’t care if that’s annoying because I’m saying it or because I’m a big fan but that’s part of the reason I am a big fan. My whole live I’ve stuxk up for teams or people that don’t get their due for how insanely gifted they are. His team has been junk you won’t find him near the top scorers due to injury even though in his second and this years finishing 11th and 21st in the entire nhl in points per game with no high scoring line mates (and always playing the best competition) ....you may here things here and there because it’s hard to completely ignore someone when there your franchise, best player, captain etc. He’s hopefully going to play his first full season since his rookie year and if he does he is going to either be talked about a lot or he’s going to finish top 10-15 in scoring in a full season. He now has better players around him and he’s entering his fourth season. The amount of points his teammates have fanned on glorious opportunities, hit the post, missed open nets is absurd.

(Now I’m not delusional I get all star players have tons of missed chances but I wouldn’t say this unless it didn’t happen multiple times a game every game) .....The amount of pts he COULD have is insane and all this coming off not one but two high ankle sprains is significant because that is a direct shot to one of his best assets, as he’s a top 5 skater in this league. But it didn’t stop him from being ahead of mcdavid in transition zone rushes in 16-17 (upon returning of course) and it didn’t stop him from having 125 points in his last 131 games in the past three years. It is absolutely asanine time the level of talent this guy has and how I’ve watched countless, countless shows where they lost people off whether it’s young stars or great young centres, and they have every opportunity but it’s as if he doesent exists. The guy himself even said he hasn’t made a dent in the leaguee yet which frustrtes him and in most ways that’s true. That’s because of circumstance though, two freak accident.

So the guys I said Above they are more then jack, due to the markets and other similar reasons for Canadian media to touch on but for the talent level he has and how well he’s produced whenever he plays, it’s absolutsy insane not many people even think about him as one go the best players. You’ll have people on here fans of the coyotes canucks stars acalanche, sharks whoever that have maybe seen him play 5 6 times? And not every time it was like they were focusing on on him.

I don’t know how it is in the states but if NBC and whoever Bettman eventually gets A new deal with, the way I see it in the US as far hockey goes marketing wise, the next ten years should be booked around Austin Matthews Jack Eichel and JAck hughes. Three young, exiting dynamic centres who are exciting due to their speed and skill and dominance. I’m projecting for Hughes of course. They also need to do a better job at marketing mcdavid just look at this years scheduling alone. It will have been 9 games in and he will have played just one game! None in us or Canada. So that’s America, I can at least understand why Canada doesn’t but I have to get that off my chest as a watcher of hockey central every morning on PVR that goes an hour and does talk about American teams regulrly.

Tyler Seguin

Nick kypreos just called him a top five player in the nhl yesterday but because of the market I’m inclined to agree he’s up there.

As one of the best who’s least talked about not top five lol.

Maybe it’s cause seguin said the words “Kyper” when they were doing the Sportsnet ad whee every star almost says something to the camera about why they like Sportsnet and if that’s the case, my god the ego.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza the Hutt

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d also say Barkov and Seth Jones. If either of these guys played in TO or Montreal, they would be up there with McDavid and Karlsson.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I’d also say Barkov and Seth Jones. If either of these guys played in TO or Montreal, they would be up there with McDavid and Karlsson.

Barkov scored 30 less points than McDavid last year. That's the difference between 1st and 23rd in league scoring. The year before was even more of a gap [although Barkov missed some time]. Great player, and maybe you were exaggerating to emphasize your point, but they aren't the same level of player. I do agree he deserves more love, though.
I'm a big fan of Jones, too, but his best year [last year] was still short in terms of production of what Karlsson did in an off year where he missed 11 games. Playing in Columbus hurts his hype, but Jones was talked about enough to finish 4th in Norris voting, and 6th on TSN's top player's list among d-men.

My vote for this topic would be Barkov, but hyping up to be on McDavid's level is too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad