Who is Chevy looking at adding at the Trade Deadline and for what?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm hoping first rounder is kept this year. Draft Day is one of my fave events and usually host a party. Didn't happen last year.

Selfish reasons, I know.

Last year's 1st was probably Joe Veleno. Probably the 2nd best C available in last year's draft. Probably should have gone in the top 10-12. Plays a good 2 way game and is scoring almost 2 ppg in the Q in D+1. That projects as a future 1 or 2 C.

There is a reason why draft day is fun.

Reactions: White Out 902

ello

Jun 12, 2018
what would guys think of Erik Gustafsson from Chicago? Cant imagine he costs too much to acquire, and he actually leads their dmen in scoring (not saying much, but still)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You're talking about a top 4 D man and a middle 6 C. Neither of those would come cheaply.

I think you could get your middle six centre for a 2nd and prospect. The market could have some real big names on it. And you have to think there is maybe 18-20 teams in on them. Maybe someone like Eberle, Muzzin, Pietrangelo gets a 1st. Karlsson if San Jose falls back. Panarin? Schenn? GMs that know they are out and can't re-sign don't trade from strength, they trade on demand. Then it becomes 2nd and prospect. Brandon Sutter, if he got healthy could be in the mix, Hayes, Brassard, Nelson. Micheal Ferland would be in that range too. Depends on who gets hot, who falls back in the pack.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you could get your middle six centre for a 2nd and prospect. The market could have some real big names on it. And you have to think there is maybe 18-20 teams in on them. Maybe someone like Eberle, Muzzin, Pietrangelo gets a 1st. Karlsson if San Jose falls back. Panarin? Schenn? GMs that know they are out and can't re-sign don't trade from strength, they trade on demand. Then it becomes 2nd and prospect. Brandon Sutter, if he got healthy could be in the mix, Hayes, Brassard, Nelson. Micheal Ferland would be in that range too. Depends on who gets hot, who falls back in the pack.

I think that is extremely optimistic. Mid 6 C is all that Stastny was when we got him last year for a 1st + Foley + a conditional 4th. And that was cheap by TD prices.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
what would guys think of Erik Gustafsson from Chicago? Cant imagine he costs too much to acquire, and he actually leads their dmen in scoring (not saying much, but still)

Numbers look pretty good. Low cap hit. An undervalued D man? Could be a good pickup for the right price.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
You can settle for fine with your 3rd pairing, you shouldn't with your 2nd if you're a top team, imo.
I agree, I was referring to the 2nd pairing where Chiarot plays with Buff. I think he is good enough on the 3rd pairing. I like his heavy game and the odd clapper when he lets it go.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
You're talking about a top 4 D man and a middle 6 C. Neither of those would come cheaply.

Well yes the D would play second pair but he can be a solid bottom pair guy like I said as long as he is an upgrade on Morrow, Chairot, etc. Chairot currently is top 4 but really he is a 6-7. Middle 6 C sure. 3C not as good as a Statsny or Brassard or even Little really. Think you could get those for a 2nd round each if rental. Or a 2nd or 3rd and a prospect not named Ves or Niku.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well yes the D would play second pair but he can be a solid bottom pair guy like I said as long as he is an upgrade on Morrow, Chairot, etc. Chairot currently is top 4 but really he is a 6-7. Middle 6 C sure. 3C not as good as a Statsny or Brassard or even Little really. Think you could get those for a 2nd round each if rental. Or a 2nd or 3rd and a prospect not named Ves or Niku.

Strictly upgrading our depth for low value assets is OK. I'm not sure it is necessary though.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Strictly upgrading our depth for low value assets is OK. I'm not sure it is necessary though.

I agree. I guess depends how we are playing after the holidays and injuries and such. If we are rolling and healthy I think you stand pat. Keep assets and go with what you got. Maybe a minor depth add

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think that is extremely optimistic. Mid 6 C is all that Stastny was when we got him last year for a 1st + Foley + a conditional 4th. And that was cheap by TD prices.

Stastny was traded for, for two reasons, leadership and because Adam Lowry was much less than 100% going into the playoffs. I think the leadership paid off with the playoff experience the team gained. I don't think a top 6 centre is a need so far this year. I think the organization is quite comfortable with veteran leadership spread out: Wheeler and Scheif on the top line, Little on the 2nd, Lowry on the 3rd and Perreault on the 4th. Roslovic is progressing nicely as a centre, and Appleton has strengthened us at RW. I'm really speculating on interest in Brassard and Nelson. But I don't think either attract a 1st, from anyone. Given the superior talent that can be acquired. Perhaps i am wrong. And maybe Roslovic is the secret weapon. I think there will be some back up plan, Logan Shaw is quite a different player from Roslovic. I also think a LH centre is depth for Lowry, but it's entirely conceivable that Maurice is comfortable with some combo of Lowry-Roslovic-Copp in the 3-4 slot. Whether Roslovic can play top 6 dominantly remains to be seen, and it would be an omen if we kept the strength up the middle healthy for the playoffs.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't see Chevy doing to much at the trade deadline, other than putting forth all his energies into trying to sign, or trade Trouba. If he signs Trouba, he likely won't do much at all. If he doesn't he'll run with Trouba for the balance of the season, then trade him.

I just don't see him aquiring a big name trade rental, at the cost of a 1st round pick--it's just not worth it, unless you can resign the player.

Our Goaltending, and defense is solid, and our offensive production is great, and good enough to win the Cup with, so I don't see Chevy making a "big move." He may add a depth piece, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Teams will be loading up in Jan / Feb
It will be tough to sit pat and watch our competition do that.
Especially like some have suggested if management is looking to move bodies this summer for cap reasons and to recover some of what is lost for any of these deals.

If he truly believes that this is his best chance to win the Cup then Chevy probably goes shopping.
I hate those deadline prices buy shiny new (or slightly used) toys are fun too.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stastny was traded for, for two reasons, leadership and because Adam Lowry was much less than 100% going into the playoffs. I think the leadership paid off with the playoff experience the team gained. I don't think a top 6 centre is a need so far this year. I think the organization is quite comfortable with veteran leadership spread out: Wheeler and Scheif on the top line, Little on the 2nd, Lowry on the 3rd and Perreault on the 4th. Roslovic is progressing nicely as a centre, and Appleton has strengthened us at RW. I'm really speculating on interest in Brassard and Nelson. But I don't think either attract a 1st, from anyone. Given the superior talent that can be acquired. Perhaps i am wrong. And maybe Roslovic is the secret weapon. I think there will be some back up plan, Logan Shaw is quite a different player from Roslovic. I also think a LH centre is depth for Lowry, but it's entirely conceivable that Maurice is comfortable with some combo of Lowry-Roslovic-Copp in the 3-4 slot. Whether Roslovic can play top 6 dominantly remains to be seen, and it would be an omen if we kept the strength up the middle healthy for the playoffs.

Nelson easilly gets a first, probably an earlier one than ours plus a pretty good prospect. Brassard, I'm not so sure. He isn't playing very well. But then, why would we want him?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Nelson easilly gets a first, probably an earlier one than ours plus a pretty good prospect. Brassard, I'm not so sure. He isn't playing very well. But then, why would we want him?

Brassard has been to a SCF and 2 ECFs, that's experience. And as all of our centres have defensive skill, Brassard adds offense, in the right scenario.

There's too many better players than Nelson to get a 1st. Schenn might shake out, Carter too. Both have term. Hayes would be ahead of Nelson too, depending on which New York team gets in (in Gary Bettman's NHL one surely will). Muzzin, Pietrangelo. Maybe Edler. Then there is Eberle, Panarin. How many teams are going to stock up? Vegas if they are in. Toronto. Nashville I could see going in on Edler. Montreal may panic (Muzzin). Buffalo? Who else is confident with a rental like Nelson. Maybe Minnesota, as they could re-sign him. I hope if we gave up a 1st it's for a Muzzin or Schenn, not a rental. Micheal Ferland would be my other choice, as a rental.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Brassard has been to a SCF and 2 ECFs, that's experience. And as all of our centres have defensive skill, Brassard adds offense, in the right scenario.

There's too many better players than Nelson to get a 1st. Schenn might shake out, Carter too. Both have term. Hayes would be ahead of Nelson too, depending on which New York team gets in (in Gary Bettman's NHL one surely will). Muzzin, Pietrangelo. Maybe Edler. Then there is Eberle, Panarin. How many teams are going to stock up? Vegas if they are in. Toronto. Nashville I could see going in on Edler. Montreal may panic (Muzzin). Buffalo? Who else is confident with a rental like Nelson. Maybe Minnesota, as they could re-sign him. I hope if we gave up a 1st it's for a Muzzin or Schenn, not a rental. Micheal Ferland would be my other choice, as a rental.

If there's a glut on the market, the prices could go down. We'll see. A lot of things might happen. Few will. I'll expect the usual rental prices until something else happens.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Teams will be loading up in Jan / Feb
It will be tough to sit pat and watch our competition do that.
Especially like some have suggested if management is looking to move bodies this summer for cap reasons and to recover some of what is lost for any of these deals.

If he truly believes that this is his best chance to win the Cup then Chevy probably goes shopping.
I hate those deadline prices buy shiny new (or slightly used) toys are fun too.

I have my doubts we find as good of a fit as Stastny this time around. Imo I'm fine letting other teams load up as o don't think it makes a big difference in most instances. For years now Dallas has won the off-season and loaded up each year only for it to not really result in anything. The Blues tried it this summer and they aren't very good. I'm fine with staying pat or adding a depth piece or two for a mid round pick.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I have my doubts we find as good of a fit as Stastny this time around. Imo I'm fine letting other teams load up as o don't think it makes a big difference in most instances. For years now Dallas has won the off-season and loaded up each year only for it to not really result in anything. The Blues tried it this summer and they aren't very good. I'm fine with staying pat or adding a depth piece or two for a mid round pick.

Only thing I think we need is a middle 6 center or a bottom 4 LHD. Having Little drop down to play with Appleton and Rosie and having a better partner for Buff makes us a contender. Without at least one of those pieces we are looking more like a pretender IMO.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Only thing I think we need is a middle 6 center or a bottom 4 LHD. Having Little drop down to play with Appleton and Rosie and having a better partner for Buff makes us a contender. Without at least one of those pieces we are looking more like a pretender IMO.

At the price people want to pay you aren't getting a top 4 D or a better center then Little. We could maybe get a 5/6 D or a bottom 6 C (maybe)

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
You serious? Nogier is no where near an NHL d-man. He'll get turnstiled constantly
That's why he plays on the Moose. He looked really good when he played. Probably just behind Poolman in the call up depth chart. Niku behind Nogier at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad