Who is Chevy looking at adding at the Trade Deadline and for what?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Only thing I think we need is a middle 6 center or a bottom 4 LHD. Having Little drop down to play with Appleton and Rosie and having a better partner for Buff makes us a contender. Without at least one of those pieces we are looking more like a pretender IMO.

I don't really agree that we need another middle C. Little is playing good hockey with Laine and Connor and Lowry plays a specific role. Given how Maurice allocates his ice time it doesn't make much sense to expend big assets for a player that will play 10 minutes. I'm fine with Roslovic in that role as he scores at a first/second line rate from that spot so we aren't going to upgrade our scoring much. I also see no reason to upgrade Little the way he's playing nor doni think there will be an upgrade on the market anyhow.

Yeah we could use an upgrade on Chariot but I wouldn't want to pay much for it. Perhaps we can find a cheap undervalued player to stick with Buff.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Only thing I think we need is a middle 6 center or a bottom 4 LHD. Having Little drop down to play with Appleton and Rosie and having a better partner for Buff makes us a contender. Without at least one of those pieces we are looking more like a pretender IMO.

You say middle 6 C and then say Little will drop down. That means a pretty good 2C. It costs a 1st + a good prospect, at least. A better partner for Buff is a 2LHD. That costs as much again. And the fact is that these rentals frequently look better on paper than they perform on ice. There is no guarantee we are the tiniest bit better. But it is guaranteed we have shortened our window and therefore reduced our chances at a cup.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Lest I remind you that the Jets ran Morrow as the defenseman to play with Buff, in the 1st round of the playoffs, Chiarot with Myers. Enstrom stepped in for Nashville, and was hardly a game breaker. And was a heart breaker in series 3.

Thing about Chiarot-Buff is that they don't give up much space, they play relatively close in open ice, so that they force pucks to the outside. On the boards both will wreck you. So while I do think you need a contingency plan, for injuries, I don't necessarily believe that a top defenseman is a need, as long as Kulikov-Myers defend well and creating offensive zone time. I'd have no problem with Edler pushing Chiarot to #7 for depth. Morrow/Poolman as 8/9. And then the rest are preparing for next year.

Lol Edler? The Jets don’t need anymore 6/7 D men on the roster they already have 4.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Teams will be loading up in Jan / Feb
It will be tough to sit pat and watch our competition do that.
Especially like some have suggested if management is looking to move bodies this summer for cap reasons and to recover some of what is lost for any of these deals.

If he truly believes that this is his best chance to win the Cup then Chevy probably goes shopping.
I hate those deadline prices buy shiny new (or slightly used) toys are fun too.

It might be tough to stand pat when other teams are loading up but staying a contender for a long time requires the kind of discipline to not try to keep up with the Joneses and stick to your process. It was fun to spend some assets to get Stastny last season but no more 1st round picks or top prospects traded for rentals this season.

Stick with what you have and see what they can do other than a minor trade for a dman.

On Dom Luschyshyn's model on the Athletic, adding William Nylander to the Leafs lineup increased their Stanley Cup odds by 2.7%. If the Jets add a 2nd pairing d-man like Muzzin, it will have a similar or maybe slightly lower impact. Is giving up a 1st worth an increased ~2% chance at the cup? I say no esp since we didn't have a 1st last season and we might need to part with some assets this summer in the Armia/Mason style trades to unload certain contract(s) to sign the pending RFAs

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Lol Edler? The Jets don’t need anymore 6/7 D men on the roster they already have 4.

Jets 6/7 defensemen would be Chiarot, Morrow, Poolman and Niku. Right now it is 1. Buff 2. Morrissey 3. Trouba 4. Myers 5. Kulikov 6. Chiarot. Look around the league and that is as good as any. Edler would be 4/5, and I think make us really hard to score against. Edler-Buff would be a different shut down pair from Morrissey-Trouba, who don't always matchup well. A 6/7 defenseman would be Derrick Pouliot. Or Jay Bowmeester, for us.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jets 6/7 defensemen would be Chiarot, Morrow, Poolman and Niku. Right now it is 1. Buff 2. Morrissey 3. Trouba 4. Myers 5. Kulikov 6. Chiarot. Look around the league and that is as good as any. Edler would be 4/5, and I think make us really hard to score against. Edler-Buff would be a different shut down pair from Morrissey-Trouba, who don't always matchup well. A 6/7 defenseman would be Derrick Pouliot. Or Jay Bowmeester, for us.

Edler has been pretty awful the last two years imo he isn't all that good anymore. He is in the low 40's this season for both CF% and XGF% Last two years he is well below 50% in CF% and under 50 in XGF%. I don't think at this stage in his career he has all that much to offer us. I would actually rather go for DelZotto if I was targeting Vancouver. He's younger, quicker, can move the puck and PK plus his results have been quite positive this season. Above 50% in both CF% and XGF%. He likely comes fairly cheap as well.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Edler has been pretty awful the last two years imo he isn't all that good anymore. He is in the low 40's this season for both CF% and XGF% Last two years he is well below 50% in CF% and under 50 in XGF%. I don't think at this stage in his career he has all that much to offer us. I would actually rather go for DelZotto if I was targeting Vancouver. He's younger, quicker, can move the puck and PK plus his results have been quite positive this season. Above 50% in both CF% and XGF%. He likely comes fairly cheap as well.

I think you have to look at what Vancouver has on the right vs what we have, and goaltending to get an accurate measure of the player. It's after all how we got Joe Morrow, who was not so good in Montreal but put up good numbers here. I don't think the statistics paint the whole picture. Is Edler a worse skate than Benny? Hits as hard, clears the net well, and I would say has a better breakout pass and shot from the point.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think you have to look at what Vancouver has on the right vs what we have, and goaltending to get an accurate measure of the player. It's how after we got Joe Morrow who was not so good in Montreal but put up good numbers here. I don't the statistics paint the whole picture. Is Edler a worse skate than Benny? Hits as hard, clears the net well, and I would say has a better breakout pass and shot from the point.

Well Morrow kind reverted back to what he has been this year. I think Buff just does a great job of carrying his partners that it masks a lot of individual deficiencies. No doubt Edler was once a great player I just think it might be a risk to bring him in at this stage of his career that is all. I guess I would have to watch him a bit more to see if the eye test matches his metrics.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It might be tough to stand pat when other teams are loading up but staying a contender for a long time requires the kind of discipline to not try to keep up with the Joneses and stick to your process. It was fun to spend some assets to get Stastny last season but no more 1st round picks or top prospects traded for rentals this season.

Stick with what you have and see what they can do other than a minor trade for a dman.

On Dom Luschyshyn's model on the Athletic, adding William Nylander to the Leafs lineup increased their Stanley Cup odds by 2.7%. If the Jets add a 2nd pairing d-man like Muzzin, it will have a similar or maybe slightly lower impact. Is giving up a 1st worth an increased ~2% chance at the cup? I say no esp since we didn't have a 1st last season and we might need to part with some assets this summer in the Armia/Mason style trades to unload certain contract(s) to sign the pending RFAs

All good points but that doesn't mean Chevy won't do it if he likes a player enough... or thinks we need it. I'm fine with the minor moves too but wouldn't be shocked if something bigger happened.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm completely fine with the stand pat model. We have the team and prospects to be a contender for 10 years and i like our chances to do that and make a few SCF appearances over that time if we don't trade picks and prospects.

If he does make a deal, it should be for a top 4 defenceman with term on his contract. I would keep Trouba until the summer though, unless we get 2 D coming back.

Not concerned about 2C. We have offence to spare and I'm not bothered whether the guys getting the points took the faceoff or not.

Reactions: wasup and GNP

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I'm completely fine with the stand pat model. We have the team and prospects to be a contender for 10 years and i like our chances to do that and make a few SCF appearances over that time if we don't trade picks and prospects.

If he does make a deal, it should be for a top 4 defenceman with term on his contract. I would keep Trouba until the summer though, unless we get 2 D coming back.

Not concerned about 2C. We have offence to spare and I'm not bothered whether the guys getting the points took the faceoff or not.

Hate to break it to ya but the Jets window will not be 10 years. 3 - 4 more max.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Hate to break it to ya but the Jets window will not be 10 years. 3 - 4 more max.

Then I guess we're bridging Laine?

There's no reason why it can't last for a long time, though. We have the talent to keep rolling it forward. Should last through Scheifele's productive career.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Then I guess we're bridging Laine?

There's no reason why it can't last for a long time, though. We have the talent to keep rolling it forward. Should last through Scheifele's productive career.

Yup Washington just won 12 years after Ovie played his first games (signalling the opening of their window).

Pittsburgh won two cup 10 and 11 years after their window opened.

Good drafting and smart management can keep the window open for a long time. I hope our management team understands this and doesn't go all in over the next few years by decimating our prospect pool and draft picks.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Yup Washington just won 12 years after Ovie played his first games (signalling the opening of their window).

Good drafting and smart management can keep the window open for a long time. I hope our management team understands this and doesn't go all in over the next few years by decimating our prospect pool and draft picks.

If that’s how you’re defining a window, how long has St. Louis window been open?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Maurice: "Here's the advanced stats on Edler and Del Zotto."
Chevy: "Very interesting."
Maurice and Chevy together: "Edler it is!"

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If that’s how you’re defining a window, how long has St. Louis window been open?

Has it even opened :p.

The Crosby era in Pittsburgh started when he stepped on the ice ditto for Washigton.

Tampa's window opened with Stamkos and Headman (both were drafted back in 2008 and 2009) they are still very much in their window adding great players like Point and Kucherov.

I base windows around how long the core can compete and win a cup and with all our young players 25 and under I'd say we still have a good amount of time left. We will just have to keep supplementing and adding to the core with talented young players like Ves, Samberg etc as other players age out of effectiveness.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Edler is past his 'Sell By' date. Don't want at any price.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

A lot of the things that would have kept the window open have already been missed over the last 2 years. Chevy needs to do better from here on to prevent the window slamming shut very soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad