Who is Chevy looking at adding at the Trade Deadline and for what?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Taking into account the coat of rentals...

We should get a bigger, veteran 4C that plays PK but can still skate.

Roslovic on the wing means more scoring from him and better defense and more trust in that spot.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I think you save the first. Going all in at a deadline is risky and more times then not the team that goes in the hardest does not win. I think you add a depth piece or 2. Try and make the team better that way instead of trying to be better by giving a 1st or A level prospect for a 2C or top pair D.

1) First on my list is someone to play with Buff. They can be a #3/4 as long as they are a upgrade on Chairot/Morrow it is worth while IMO. Then bump down Chairot/Morrow with Myers. Gives us depth. If we lose any of Buff/Trouba/Morrissey even though we won games without them it is not ideal and bad in the playoffs with our weak depth.

2) Centre..... Little is fine as 2C with Scheif ahead especially with our wing depth. I would get a C and bump Roslo to wing. This C ideally would be a 3C type player who can chip in a little bit. Speed to go go with our wingers.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I'm hoping first rounder is kept this year. Draft Day is one of my fave events and usually host a party. Didn't happen last year.

Selfish reasons, I know.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think you save the first. Going all in at a deadline is risky and more times then not the team that goes in the hardest does not win. I think you add a depth piece or 2. Try and make the team better that way instead of trying to be better by giving a 1st or A level prospect for a 2C or top pair D.

1) First on my list is someone to play with Buff. They can be a #3/4 as long as they are a upgrade on Chairot/Morrow it is worth while IMO. Then bump down Chairot/Morrow with Myers. Gives us depth. If we lose any of Buff/Trouba/Morrissey even though we won games without them it is not ideal and bad in the playoffs with our weak depth.

2) Centre..... Little is fine as 2C with Scheif ahead especially with our wing depth. I would get a C and bump Roslo to wing. This C ideally would be a 3C type player who can chip in a little bit. Speed to go go with our wingers.
You mean like Lowry and Copp?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I agree with the principle of your assertion. The holes as well. Though I think Benny deserves a bit of credit as defenseman who cleans up after Buff pretty well. They don't give up too many scoring chances as a pairing. And the definitely can seal the boards offensively. Kulikov's Renaissance diminishes the need somewhat. Seeing Niku play fairly well with Trouba adds some weight to the depth of Morrow and Poolman, both of whom contributed in the playoffs last year. I think the defenseman, if our defense stays steady, could be a minor piece. Bowmeester would not surprise me, just for the experience.

Centre is a little more diffucult. If Roslovic and Appleton keep producing, solidifying their roles, it may only be a depth centre Chevy is looking for, to keep 4 lines going.
I expect us to be in on Brassard or Nelson, just to have that 4 line depth to carry us through, and because faceoffs become amplified in the playoffs. If you can keep the 1st, trade a 2nd and a prospect to get your needs, the reality is the Jets could have 2 1st round picks next year, if they trade Trouba, and that's a pretty darn good bet for us to keep the cupboards full of prospects, going forward, as the young core matures, and the older vets move on.

Reactions: GNP

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
I don't think Chevy will be looking for anything major unless injuries force him to. I think maybe one or two moves like the Morrow one, but nothing more than that and definitely not expensive moves.

ETA: A 2LD would not be a terrible idea, I guess, but I'm a Chiarot fan.

The Jets won’t win a thing with Chiarot in the second pair.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
All this Poolman talk, fact is he had a couple good games early last season and then looked like a #7-8 D man the rest of the time, not sure Poolman is any better than Nogier or Schilling at this time!

I agree with Sip here -- I think Nogier and Schilling looked very solid just recently. I think they both could play bottom pairing defense as starters --they look good.

As for Poolman --we haven't seen him enough, or lately ??

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
The Jets won’t win a thing with Chiarot in the second pair.
While an upgrade would be welcome, if Buff is also on the second pair then I think they're fine.

Chiarot is fine when with Buff. If the 3rd pair is Kulikov and Myers and they play like they did against Philly and how they've played in the past, we're just fine with Chiarot where he is.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The notion that Chiarot is fine because he is with Buff is short sighted imo. It limits the Jets ability to do more and his role at that spot isn't consistent with other roles of similar importance. He's not a top 4 Dman, merely getting by with him there should not be the goal, an improvement there would be significant.

Reactions: DJBiffWPG

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
The notion that Chiarot is fine because he is with Buff is short sighted imo. It limits the Jets ability to do more and his role at that spot isn't consistent with other roles of similar importance. He's not a top 4 Dman, merely getting by with him there should not be the goal, an improvement there would be significant.
Excactly! Why settle for "fine" when you can boost the team with someone better in that spot?

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
While an upgrade would be welcome, if Buff is also on the second pair then I think they're fine.

And if Buff isn’t there he’s back to being a borderline NHL D man. Need somebody that can play top 4 minutes without being carried.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Chiarot is fine when with Buff. If the 3rd pair is Kulikov and Myers and they play like they did against Philly and how they've played in the past, we're just fine with Chiarot where he is.

The Jets can’t win with 3 top 4 D men.

Need somebody like Muzzin.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

This exactly.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
All this Poolman talk, fact is he had a couple good games early last season and then looked like a #7-8 D man the rest of the time, not sure Poolman is any better than Nogier or Schilling at this time!
Way more than a couple games. Meanwhile, people here are treating Niku like he is a Norris candidate. I like him, he had a good season in the A, but he can barely stand up in the NHL, gives the puck away like a coffee mug at Domo.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Boumeester is beyond done in the NHL. He is unbelievably bad.
I was talking more a player "like" a Boumeester. He has regressed a little, but that team has in general. He's looked pretty good recently, he was injured earlier in the season. Definitely has a couple seasons left. Excellent first pass out of the zone.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Chevy goes all in this season trading the 1st and a prospect or 2 at the TD to upgrade at #2 LHD and a 2/3 center. Then turns around after the season and retools by moving Trouba for a higher #1 and an upgrade on the prospects lost including a young RHD.

Gawd, I hope you're wrong KB.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
And if Buff isn’t there he’s back to being a borderline NHL D man. Need somebody that can play top 4 minutes without being carried.

Lest I remind you that the Jets ran Morrow as the defenseman to play with Buff, in the 1st round of the playoffs, Chiarot with Myers. Enstrom stepped in for Nashville, and was hardly a game breaker. And was a heart breaker in series 3.

Thing about Chiarot-Buff is that they don't give up much space, they play relatively close in open ice, so that they force pucks to the outside. On the boards both will wreck you. So while I do think you need a contingency plan, for injuries, I don't necessarily believe that a top defenseman is a need, as long as Kulikov-Myers defend well and creating offensive zone time. I'd have no problem with Edler pushing Chiarot to #7 for depth. Morrow/Poolman as 8/9. And then the rest are preparing for next year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Way more than a couple games. Meanwhile, people here are treating Niku like he is a Norris candidate. I like him, he had a good season in the A, but he can barely stand up in the NHL, gives the puck away like a coffee mug at Domo.

Believe me, Sip talking Niku for the Norris ain't ever gonna happen, Niku is what he is a good AHL D man who needs to gain some muscle and more strength to play in the NHL, there is a reason why guys like Morrow beat out Niku, Poolman and Nogier for a roster spot on the Jets.

Reactions: Crocket

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Unless an important player is injured the Jets should not do another rental. They are pretty much first in the West and will play TB for the Cup. If the Leafs make the finals you can plan the parade at Portage and Main.
Agreed. Rentals can be costly. When they go well, it's great, but more often they cost you valuable picks.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Believe me, Sip talking Niku for the Norris ain't ever gonna happen, Niku is what he is a good AHL D man who needs to gain some muscle and more strength to play in the NHL, there is a reason why guys like Morrow beat out Niku, Poolman and Nogier for a roster spot on the Jets.
Looking forward to seeing more of Nogier. I like his game.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You're talking about a top 4 D man and a middle 6 C. Neither of those would come cheaply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad