Who is Chevy looking at adding at the Trade Deadline and for what?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Chicago made adds damn near every year and won 3 (Timmonen, Vermette, Forsling, Rundblad, Versteeg, Handzus, Oduya, Frolik, Hayes, Stalberg, Leddy). Pittsburgh made adds in both of their cup wins (Kessel, Bonino, Daley, Hagelin, Schultz, Hainsey). Caps only added Kempny. Boston got help in their Cup win (Kaberle, Kelly, Peverley). LA made some big adds in their Cup runs (Carter, Gaborik, Regehr, Richards, Penner, Williams).

I think history tends to favour the team that fixes their holes. Outside of the Caps who seem to have really only added through FA in the offseason.

Not all of those adds were rentals. I agree with fixing holes. It is band-aid fixes that I don't like. I don't think we really have any holes. Not real gaping holes. 2LHD is the closest and I would like to see an upgrade there. We are not in very good shape to take an injury to any of our top 3 D.

Muzzin would be a great fix and he has 1 more year under contract. At least a little better than a pure rental and I always think that extra year improves the chances of a longer stay. That may be fantasy but I see hope there.

If we could pick up a RHD with a longer shelf life than Trouba, I'd be prepared to pay.

I think/hope Chevy will try a full court press to sign Trouba Jan 1. If that fails he may be hunting for a RHD ahead of Trouba leaving.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
A few days back I took a quick look at the last 10 or so drafts and what type of players get picked in the 24-31 spot (assuming we win at least 1 series and pick in that range). Did not do up a total but there seemed to be approx 10% of picks were top players (Pastrnak, Boeser) maybe 20% who were good players (Roslovic) 20-30% were playing somewhat regularly but not really difference makers and about 30-40% who had a cup of coffee and were gone or never even got a NHL game. I know there is likely detailed info out there on that range but that's what it looked like at a quick glance.

TSN did an analysis from 1990-2013. 24 to 31 pick have a greater than 75% chance of being a 4th liner or worse. Fewer than 50% of the 28-31 picks play more than 100 career NHL games.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
TSN did an analysis from 1990-2013. 24 to 31 pick have a greater than 75% chance of being a 4th liner or worse. Fewer than 50% of the 28-31 picks play more than 100 career NHL games.
Thanks for posting this. IMO it adds a big variable to the question of do you use a draft pick as part of the price for a rental. So in far more cases than not the cost of an upgrade rental at the TD is most likely a fringe player 4-6 years down the line that are a dime a dozen.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Would love Hjalmarsson but don't see the Coyotes trading him. They extended him right after signing OEL to a monster deal. He is pretty important to the Coyotes being in the top 5 or so of GAA. Plus, the Coyotes are maxed out on contracts so any trade has to be 1 for 1.

Your probably right, but Arizona is dropping like a rock and if they need to rebuild again, Hjarlmasson's age really doesn't fit. As for his salary, trouba will most likely be traded and we will most likely go through a sort of re-tool next year, that can be sorted out then.

Hjarlmasson's prime value is his ability to help us win the Stanley Cup this season.

Maybe Hjarlmasson doesn't want to stick around while Arizona rights its ship or moves to Houston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad