Who is Chevy looking at adding at the Trade Deadline and for what?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I expect Chevy acquires a top 4 D. I keep thinking Tanev but he is RHD. Carolina has a bunch of LHD though I don't see the Jets giving up what Carolina needs.

IF Kulikov comes back healthy and plays well there may not be a need but that is risky given his injury history.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I expect Chevy acquires a top 4 D. I keep thinking Tanev but he is RHD. Carolina has a bunch of LHD though I don't see the Jets giving up what Carolina needs.

IF Kulikov comes back healthy and plays well there may not be a need but that is risky given his injury history.
I don't think Kuli is a top 4 D. Any upgrade to the Jets D has to see Chiarot moving out of the top 4, he was the 7th D on a healthy team last year, that is cause for concern when planning a deep playoff run.

Dirty30

Feb 12, 2012
Besides a true second line Center. They need big bodied someone who is more just a thug to be able to handle Reeves. Simmons maybe? Buff is too important to be taken off the ice with Reeves. Not a fair trade off. Reeves has 6 goals and 4 assists. He also gets in the heads of the opposition. Perfect 4th liner

Reactions: Flair Hay

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Besides a true second line Center. They need big bodied someone who is more just a thug to be able to handle Reeves. Simmons maybe? Buff is too important to be taken off the ice with Reeves. Not a fair trade off. Reeves has 6 goals and 4 assists. He also gets in the heads of the opposition. Perfect 4th liner
We have Lemeiux if he picks his game up.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario

This team has more than enough actual hockey players that can handle Reaves. I'm struggling to understand why we need to "handle" a marginal 4th liner (at best) at all, especially one that isn't even in our division.

As for the actual premise of the thread, it probably depends on how we're looking at the trade deadline. Injuries will likely determine which depth pieces Chevy may try to pick up. While I had no issues with trading our 1st for Stastny last year, I'm weary of getting into the habit of trading them consistently. Getting decent young players on ELC's is going to be important in maintaining our competitiveness long-term.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm good with what we have - especially if Kuli is back and can stay healthy.
I don't like giving up #1's on rentals and I don't believe 2nd or 3rd's get you anything you haven't already got.

Injuries could change my mind.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I thought Little was playing good last season at the deadline and Chevy still got Stastny , he might do the same sort of thing again especially if our defense is healthy at the deadline .

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The hole is likely to be defense, but I doubt any acquisition is made. Jets have stock of Morrow level defensemen, and I don't see a trade for a top 4D happening at the TDL.

I'm guessing no pieces.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Be interesting to make this into a poll. Picking up a rental for a 1st is a losing strategy IMO. If you are pretty sure you will be able to resign him, maybe its worth it. Even with the success & good will Stats had with us, chances of resigning him given our cap situation were slim. We will pay in future for missing out on a good prospect with an ELC when we really need one.

Second part, who might we go after. I see us getting some defensive help at the TD. Probably just depth for a 3rd-4th, perhaps a 2nd if they are decent & may re-sign.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think this is a great idea for a thread, but if you trade for 1st for a rental you are using it (converting) not losing it (forfeiting).

The only conversion that counts is changing a draft pick to a Cup win. Anything else, it's lost. Just say no to rentals. As Rocky said to Bullwinkle, "Again? That trick never works". :laugh:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If I’m a GM I’d be pretty conservative with trading picks/futures....but this is the Jets all in year. After this our roster will be taking major hits and not have much space to add. I’m trading any picks I have to supplement this roster for a cup run in 2019.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
It doesn't make much sense to pick up a player at the trade deadline, like we did with Statsny last year. If he's a good player, we won't be able to resign him anyway, because we are up against the Cap --to sign our other players.

We don't want to give up any more draft picks like last year for a short term rental.

I think we have enough power to win the Cup with what we have -- "stand pat."

We don't

If I’m a GM I’d be pretty conservative with trading picks/futures....but this is the Jets all in year. After this our roster will be taking major hits and not have much space to add. I’m trading any picks I have to supplement this roster for a cup run in 2019.

Major hits? You mean Myers will be gone ? Lol

JBM

Feb 1, 2017
Canada
An LD2 is pretty important I would think. Knock on wood Morrissey gets hurt, even for a couple games in playoffs. Niku, Chariot, Kul won't get it done. LD2/1 is essential IMO. Don't need a LD1 but someone capable playing 1st line mins as insurance would be ideal (Muzzin, Hjalmasson type)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Two more years at $5 mill/yr.

Could be a bit too expensive unless Yotes retain some salary.

Not interested. He is not a $5 million defenseman. He blocks shots, we have lots of guys who do that. I think the Jets are going to add only a small piece if Kulikov plays well and stays healthy. Otherwise they may trade him straight up (Maata). But in small pieces I mean like an Edler, Gunnarson, Daley. Muzzin's probably the most intriguing if he's available, but that's a 1st for sure, + a good prospect+ a salary (Kulikov/Perreault). It does keep the window open though, for 2 more years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd try to buy get an undervalued LD, I personally wouldn't part with anything more then a 3rd and a C prospect.

Reactions: GNP

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'd try to buy get an undervalued LD, I personally wouldn't part with anything more then a 3rd and a C prospect.

Yeh we need to improve our 2nd pairing LHD for any playoff run

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Drew Doughty would look sweet on our D

He is obviously IS very upset in LaLa land..

:DD

Well yes.....lots of great players would look sweet on our team.....two small issues: Cap and cost to acquire

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hell work his magic

And he gets

Eirk Karlsson

Matt Duschene

For mid round picks.
All in !!!

Matt Duschene would greatly interest me if I were Chevy. He's young, and I believe a center ice man, and I think he's in the top 15 in scoring in the NHL. A great replacement for Little down the road, or right now.

Because Duchene is an UFA -- the price tag would likely be high, and would involve the trading of Ehlers or Connor ?? It would all depend on the deal, and how much he wants $$$$ -- ??

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad