OT: Who is An Argos Fan?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I was a fan as a kid and looking back, there were some really good CFL players that later became huge stars in the NFL. Not sure if that ever happens any more but it's a testament as to the quality of the football played. After living in Europe for a decade I lost touch with it and can't get back into it any more. Same goes for the NFL and MBL though so that's no knock against the CFL.

Was tons of fun back in the day though, I remember watching guys like Joe Theismann, Leon McQuade, Jim Stillwagon, Zenon Andrusyshyn, Johnny (ordinary superstar) Rodgers, Warren Moon taking over from Tom Wilkinson, Terry Greer, NFL stars Vince Ferregamo (and a couple of others who's names escape me) coming to the CFL and bombing big time and most memorably, the Argos finally breaking the title drought with the super tandem of Clements/Holloway at QB and Cedric Minter at RB. I was at the semi-final that year at CNE stadium when the Argos came from behind in the 4th from down 10 points or so and won with a final score of 48-46 or something like that. Amazing game, good times!

Last edited:

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
The problem was never the Dome and the answer is not BMO field or uniforms of teal
MLS Toronto FC encourages fans to still support division 4 West Yorkshire Humber People Guys United
Whereas the CFL for various reasons had the wheels fall of the NFL and any mutual benefit feel
The CFL has lost any real -deal city feel and now the Argos may be a product blighted!

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
When did a city's public transportation become the barometer to define their tier?

I think it's pretty important but I guess that's just my opinion as a resident of the city, not some objective statement. For a city of this size, the transportation system is pretty embarrassing. Makes it hard to get around.

Maybe once the DRL is built.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I think it's pretty important but I guess that's just my opinion as a resident of the city, not some objective statement. For a city of this size, the transportation system is pretty embarrassing. Makes it hard to get around.

Maybe once the DRL is built.

The way a city should be classified should be fairly simple. No matter who you are and what your into is there something for you to do? Maybe for certain things you need to schedule appropriately.

ROM, Zoo, Acquarium
Leafs, Raps, Jays etc
Princess of Wales, RTHall etc
Every kind of restaurant imaginable
Kensington Market, St. Lawrence Market
Eaton Centre
CN Tower, Canada's Wonderland

If you want to move
UofToronto, Ryerson, York U etc
all the Little___ areas
Tech and innovation hub

Then time dependant things
TIFF, Indy, The Ex, Caribanna, Rogers Cup

Day trip to Niagara Falls.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
The way a city should be classified should be fairly simple. No matter who you are and what your into is there something for you to do? Maybe for certain things you need to schedule appropriately.

ROM, Zoo, Acquarium
Leafs, Raps, Jays etc
Princess of Wales, RTHall etc
Every kind of restaurant imaginable
Kensington Market, St. Lawrence Market
Eaton Centre
CN Tower, Canada's Wonderland

If you want to move
UofToronto, Ryerson, York U etc
all the Little___ areas
Tech and innovation hub

Then time dependant things
TIFF, Indy, The Ex, Caribanna, Rogers Cup

Day trip to Niagara Falls.

I would focus more on quality of life when you live here. When compared to NYC and London, here are the shortfalls IMO when it comes to living here. Granted I haven't lived in London but have in NYC.

- Inadequate public transportation, especially subways.
- Lower wages for white collar jobs.
- High cost of living (which I'm sure NYC and London have just as much if not more, but their white collar job wages tend to be significantly better, too).

That's really all I've got for shortcomings. Other than that, Toronto is fantastic. Just build out the public transportation system, build more units to bring down rent, and raise wages. The wages part I'm clueless on. But transport and housing are a bit more straightforward I think.

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
I am. The Argos are the Best 'gos. Who will fight me?

If the Bills were ever good, and the owner wasn't a frack feind, I might root for them too.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hogan: Looking out for number one - Toronto Argonauts
According to the GM, the Argos have it broken down into two groups. ”The best player, and the best player who will sign. There’s no perfect science. After a player gets drafted high in the CFL there’s more NFL interest as teams wonder ‘what did we miss?’”

Popp is certain about one thing though, he wants whoever is chosen with the No. 1 pick to be at York University when the Argos training camp opens on May 19th.

“It’s different,” said Popp, when asked about taking Ryan Hunter at the end of the first round a year ago, knowing he was going to test the NFL waters first. “You can wait with nine (the ninth overall pick), not with one. We want to take the best player we can get into our camp.”

So, who is that player?

Popp wouldn’t tip his hand, saying there were five-to-eight players who could comfortably fall into that slot. His right-hand man concurs.

Vince Magri is the Argos Director of Canadian Scouting. He’s watched hours and hours of video of each prospect, watched them work out, talked to their coaches, anything he can to try and give the team the best portrait of the player it can paint.

He was even more tight lipped about the possible choices than his boss, but agreed that there is no slam dunk pick atop the board. After being asked how many he’d put in that top group he paused for a considerable period before offering “More than one player at more than one position, it’s that talented a draft.”

Nobody should be shocked if a receiver, or a lineman from either side of the ball goes first overall. It’s also a good year for players in the defensive secondary, but it’s doubtful a player from that group emerges as the first selection.

Reactions: Menzinger

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
I was a fan as a kid and looking back, there were some really good CFL players that later became huge stars in the NFL. Not sure if that ever happens any more but it's a testament as to the quality of the football played. After living in Europe for a decade I lost touch with it and can't get back into it any more. Same goes for the NFL and MBL though so that's no knock against the CFL.

Was tons of fun back in the day though, I remember watching guys like Joe Theismann, Leon McQuade, Jim Stillwagon, Zenon Andrusyshyn, Johnny (ordinary superstar) Rodgers, Warren Moon taking over from Tom Wilkinson, Terry Greer, NFL stars Vince Ferregamo (and a couple of others who's names escape me) coming to the CFL and bombing big time and most memorably, the Argos finally breaking the title drought with the super tandem of Clements/Holloway at QB and Cedric Minter at RB. I was at the semi-final that year at CNE stadium when the Argos came from behind in the 4th from down 10 points or so and won with a final score of 48-46 or something like that. Amazing game, good times!

Leon McQuay... Barnes/Holloway... but yeah - good times for sure!

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Argos GM Jim Popp is giving three Canadian quarterbacks a shot - TSN.ca
TORONTO — General manager Jim Popp is doing his part to give Canadian quarterbacks a shot with the Toronto Argonauts.

The Argos now have three on their roster. They signed veteran Brandon Bridge of Mississauga, Ont., and Regina native Noah Picton as free agents this off-season before taking Ottawa's Michael O'Connor in the third round, 20th overall, of the CFL draft Thursday night.

Bridge, Picton and O'Connor will battle incumbent James Franklin and veterans Dakota Prukop and McLeod Bethel-Thompson in training camp.

Popp said talent is the overwhelming reason why Bridge, Picton and now O'Connor are with the club. But Popp is also looking ahead to the possibility that Canadian quarterbacks could count as nationals on CFL rosters.

"There are discussions and talks about making the quarterback who's Canadian counting as a Canadian on your roster," Popp said Friday. "I don't know what the rules will be, if it will actually take place or when . . . but there's enough strong talk that there's a chance for it.

"And it plays to your favour if you have one of a few Canadian quarterbacks who we feel can actually play in the CFL. We know Brandon can. Now, the first thing we look at is talent and if they can play. But if they're Canadian and the rules change . . . that's another extra benefit."

Reactions: Menzinger

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Will be there June 22nd for the Cats / Arblows game.

Used to be great battles between Cats fans and Argos fans....now when I meet an Argo fan I feel awkward...like an endangered species, you don't want to spook them in fear of losing the last remaining fan.

Reactions: sabremike

GuthrieGovan

Feb 26, 2018
I'm going to start watching this season.

I'm an NFL fan first and foremost, but I'll give the CFL a shot.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Will be there June 22nd for the Cats / Arblows game.

Used to be great battles between Cats fans and Argos fans....now when I meet an Argo fan I feel awkward...like an endangered species, you don't want to spook them in fear of losing the last remaining fan.
They actually moved the start time of the game up so fans could go to the Arkells concert taking place that night right next to BMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad