Speculation: Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
since it appears that this ranger "shake up" may be more than just smoke, lets review...

lindros.
messier part deux
kovy part deux
to some degree shanahan
zherdev
higgins
capt quualude
gomez
holik
rucinsky
nedved
mironov
anson carter
malakhov
ulanov

and all the guys we wanted to acquire and almost did over the years and didnt like dany heatley and ugh.... my head hurts from all this.

please god no more band aides or veteran guys who will come here and suck.

vanek reeks of badness.... hes the perfect ny rangers player coming here based on what he was but isnt now. what he is now is almost 30. i would have loved him 5 years ago.... but now...not so much.

we need the right deal with the right partner and to get that deal that will really help us address a need now and in the future we must give up something of real value.

mdz and kreider/miller and/or mcilrath. a dman who needs a new home and 3 guys who are not even roster players right now.

can we get a top 6 skill forward under 27 and an impact right handed dman who can skate and carry the pill ?

geez... st louis is loaded with forwards. they have a bunch of young guys they love, they signed roy and a guy like tarasenko isnt getting a ton of minutes.

could he be pried away ?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Girardi of the 2; feel Staal still has good lateral movement (not like Moore, of course, but still got it).

Yeah, now please.
Pyatt we may have to pay (Pyatt + 6th for conditional 7th) to take off our hands if we want to do it yesterday.

If we are lucky this is a max best case scenario. When there was a possibility of someone like Dylan Olsen, late first value, yeah. But not enough people in both camps got on that bandwagon.

Don't be greedy. Consider a high 2nd pick or a decent 2nd round selection which already has some development under the belt. One possibility, from Edmonton, 2nd rounders like LD Marancin or C Pitlick. That would help w/salary cap. Maybe add a sweetener like Powe for free.

If we're going to be going for a rebuild, we're not going to be paying people to take away players. Pyatt's contract expires this year. If we literally trade anybody with value, we will be well under the salary cap. Rebuilding teams don't trade away value for nothing.

That said, I don't expect us to trade pieces away unless we are clearly not improving by winter holiday season. I would love for us to chase Yakupov and Byfuglien. Gives us two extremely lethal one timer opportunities on the PP.
Stepan-Nash/Callahan-Yakupov
Byfuglien-Richards
Yikes. I could see that rivaling Washington's.

The only problem is Del Zotto would have to be our main trade chip for either.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
A move for Vanek would essentially be the franchise saying they goofed dealing Gaborik, since they are extremely similar players.

Vidic15*

Yes, except Oilers usually over value their assets and undervalue ours.

Colorado Avalanche, possible.
But we need to avoid trading youth for veteran there.

MacKinnon + x
for
Staal, MDZ, + a big add

Don't think they're trading MacKinnon. Statsny is gone at the end of the season. Duschene, MacKinnon, and O'Reilly are a nice 1-3 down the middle.

Edmonton makes the most sense. They need D and veteran leadership.

Girardi + Callahan
for
Schultz + Yakupov + 1st

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Don't think they're trading MacKinnon. Statsny is gone at the end of the season. Duschene, MacKinnon, and O'Reilly are a nice 1-3 down the middle.

Edmonton makes the most sense. They need D and veteran leadership.

Girardi + Callahan
for
Schultz + Yakupov + 1st

That deal is so heavily slanted in our favor, Edmonton hangs up right away.

NHRangerfan

As crazy as it sounds I wouldn't be surprised if we hear heatley rumors soon.

Guy I work with told me last week the Sens owner is crying poverty...he's expecting the Sens to dump some salary

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Sens trying to shed money? Who could they trade? Michalek would be the one player that may be interesting. Phillips, MacArthur? Pass.

Vidic15*

Sens trying to shed money? Who could they trade? Michalek would be the one player that may be interesting. Phillips, MacArthur? Pass.

Michalek is a UFA at the end of the season. He's two years younger than Gaborik but just as soft and injury prone. Doesn't score like Gabby, either.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I will not be interested in a rental until this team shows it will be competing for a playoff spot.

It may be a while. Until then, long term ideas only from my end.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Michalek is a UFA at the end of the season. He's two years younger than Gaborik but just as soft and injury prone. Doesn't score like Gabby, either.

Yes, but at a fraction of the cost. Michalek makes 4.7 million to Gabby's 7.5 million. Michalek wouldn't be my first choice, but he fills a lot of needs.

Left winger? Check.

Can score? Check.

Has skill? Check.

Has speed? Check.

The issue with him is staying healthy, as you mentioned.

EDIT: Fitz, I would acquire him looking to extend him. Rentals are a terrible idea right now, especially since the last one (Clowe) blew up in our faces.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
since it appears that this ranger "shake up" may be more than just smoke, lets review...

lindros.
messier part deux
kovy part deux
to some degree shanahan
zherdev
higgins
capt quualude
gomez
holik
rucinsky
nedved
mironov
anson carter
malakhov
ulanov

and all the guys we wanted to acquire and almost did over the years and didnt like dany heatley and ugh.... my head hurts from all this.

please god no more band aides or veteran guys who will come here and suck.

vanek reeks of badness.... hes the perfect ny rangers player coming here based on what he was but isnt now. what he is now is almost 30. i would have loved him 5 years ago.... but now...not so much.

we need the right deal with the right partner and to get that deal that will really help us address a need now and in the future we must give up something of real value.

mdz and kreider/miller and/or mcilrath. a dman who needs a new home and 3 guys who are not even roster players right now.

can we get a top 6 skill forward under 27 and an impact right handed dman who can skate and carry the pill ?

geez... st louis is loaded with forwards. they have a bunch of young guys they love, they signed roy and a guy like tarasenko isnt getting a ton of minutes.

could he be pried away ?
You spelled Quaalude wrong

Vidic15*

Yes, but at a fraction of the cost. Michalek makes 4.7 million to Gabby's 7.5 million. Michalek wouldn't be my first choice, but he fills a lot of needs.

Left winger? Check.

Can score? Check.

Has skill? Check.

Has speed? Check.

The issue with him is staying healthy, as you mentioned.

EDIT: Fitz, I would acquire him looking to extend him. Rentals are a terrible idea right now, especially since the last one (Clowe) blew up in our faces.

True, but ask yourself this. Are we a Michalek away from taking the next step? As someone mentioned, the Rangers are in a perfect storm. Their number one goalie, number one RD, and captain are all UFAs. If they can't turn it around, Sather must realize the current core can't cut it. DO THE RIGHT THING, SATHER.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
True, but ask yourself this. Are we a Michalek away from taking the next step? As someone mentioned, the Rangers are in a perfect storm. Their number one goalie, number one RD, and captain are all UFAs. If they can't turn it around, Sather must realize the current core can't cut it. DO THE RIGHT THING, SATHER.

I wouldn't say so, but it's an option. Personally not the option I would carry out, but a possibility nonetheless.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The team right now has no identity. Until they figure out what to do going forward they shouldn't do anything too crazy like trading for UFA Vanek.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet

lindros.
messier part deux
kovy part deux
to some degree shanahan
zherdev
higgins
capt quualude
gomez
holik
rucinsky
nedved
mironov
anson carter
malakhov
ulanov

Lindros, Rucinsky and even Nedved had good Ranger careers. No one saw Rucinsky or Nedved as potential "answers."

Shanahan was outstanding for a 39-year-old,

Mironov and Ulanov? That's like brining up Doig and Gusarov. There weren't high expectations for either--they just sucked. Ozolinsh would be the better example.

Carter? Kamensky, Sykora, Naslund!

Championship*

Loved Marcus Naslund. Had a pretty decent season and did us a favor by retiring early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad