Who do you build around: Draisaitl or Mackinnon?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Because of injuries.

Pretending it's because of a lack of quality is pretty disingenuous.
How? They can't exactly help MacKinnon score points when they're sitting in IR. Doesn't change the fact that MacKinnon put up those points without much help whether it's due to injuries or lack of quality linemates is irrelevant.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
How? They can't exactly help MacKinnon score points when they're sitting in IR. Doesn't change the fact that MacKinnon put up those points without much help whether it's due to injuries or lack of quality linemates is irrelevant.

He still played 70% of his ice time with Rantanen and/or Landeskog.

This whole "no help" false narrative needs to die.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System

Anyone who argues that point is stating they think the Oilers roster is better overall than the Aves.

I appreciated that sentiment but I can't agree with it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How has Draisaitl not separated himself from the likes of Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, Aho, Pettersson, current Ovi, etc? Please tell me how. He was on pace for nearly 130 points, and already has a 50 goal season under his belt

So you consider him a tier above those players? Who else is in the same tier?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

Rantanen only played 42 games Landeskog 54 games. MacKinnon played 40% of the year without Rantanen and like half of that without them both.

Sure he has plenty of help when they're in the line up but they weren't for like 40% of the year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
71 games >>>>>> 15 games
No it really doesn't, everyone know playoffs are where it matters. Like I said above, MacKinnon has 54 points in 40 games, far from a 15 game sample size.

McDavid and Draisaitl's playoffs numbers are nowhere close to MacKinnon's even with their inflated numbers against a Chicago team that shouldn't have sniffed the playoffs.

MacKinnon played against Arizona and Dallas who were #1 and #2 in GA in the Western conference and still put up those numbers.

Poda

Jul 31, 2020
What? McDavid scored 97 points? He scored more points than Rantanen and Landeskog combined. Not sure what you're talking about. In fact MacKinnon scored 43 more points than his next closest teammate.
Just add them all up and you‘ll see. I won‘t do it again. The drop off beyond Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto and McDavid was too significant compared to Colorado‘s depth. So pointwise MacKinnon had more help by the rest of the team than Draisaitl, whatever that counts for.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Just add them all up and you‘ll see. I won‘t do it again. The drop off beyond Draisaitl, RNH, Yamamoto and McDavid was too significant compared to Colorado‘s depth. So pointwise MacKinnon had more help by the rest of the team than Draisaitl, whatever that counts for.
You're seriously reaching here. Do you seriously think the bottom 6 contributes to McDavid/MacKinnon/Draisaitl that much? They'll get an extra shift with them once in a while

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
No it really doesn't, everyone know playoffs are where it matters. Like I said above, MacKinnon has 54 points in 40 games, far from a 15 game sample size.

McDavid and Draisaitl's playoffs numbers are nowhere close to MacKinnon's even with their inflated numbers against a Chicago team that shouldn't have sniffed the playoffs.

MacKinnon played against Arizona and Dallas who were #1 and #2 in GA in the Western conference and still put up those numbers.
Draisaitl has solid playoff numbers as well, about 1.3 PPG. But sure that’s not even close to Mack’s 1.35. McDavid was 20 years old in his first playoffs, you know you’re good when people say getting 9 points in 13 games as a 20 year old is bad

Whatever, McDavid will make it very apparent who is the best player in the world this year. Didn’t even get to train last off season and he still paced for 124 points. And Draisaitl will likely have a third year that is better than anything Mack has done. We will see what happens in the playoffs.

Reactions: Duke74

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Rantanen only played 42 games Landeskog 54 games. MacKinnon played 40% of the year without Rantanen and like half of that without them both.

Sure he has plenty of help when they're in the line up but they weren't for like 40% of the year.

70% of his 5v5 ice time was with at least one of them.

He played more minutes with both of them than he did without them.

Poda

Jul 31, 2020
You're seriously reaching here. Do you seriously think the bottom 6 contributes to McDavid/MacKinnon/Draisaitl that much? They'll get an extra shift with them once in a while
Make of it whatever you like, I just referred to point totals. Whether or not that "helps“ is up to you guys.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Draisaitl has solid playoff numbers as well, about 1.3 PPG. But sure that’s not even close to Mack’s 1.35. McDavid was 20 years old in his first playoffs, you know you’re good when people say getting 9 points in 13 games as a 20 year old is bad

Whatever, McDavid will make it very apparent who is the best player in the world this year. Didn’t even get to train last off season and he still paced for 124 points. And Draisaitl will likely have a third year that is better than anything Mack has done. We will see what happens in the playoffs.
9 points in 14 games as a 20 year old is pretty bad considering MacKinnon had 10 points in 7 games as an 18 year old.:sarcasm:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
70% of his 5v5 ice time was with at least one of them.

He played more minutes with both of them than he did without them.
I find that hard to believe considering both of them missed significant time this year. Is that when they're all healthy or including previous years?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Why do people only hone in on line mates and ignore that Mckinnon has had highly productive high end offensive defensemen feeding him the puck his entire career? The oilers in the last 11 years have one D man break 40 points once. Teammates are more than just your line mates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad