Who do you build around: Draisaitl or Mackinnon?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I've made my opinion known on the first page but I'm surprised that people act like there is some massive gap between them defensively.

Look at Draisaitl's defensive impact as center (after January 1st) versus as McDavid's winger (before January 1st). He is significantly better defensively as a center which is pretty logical, its his drafted position, it forces him lower in the zone, and he is "the guy" on his line where as he cheats for offense when he is on McDavid's wing. He is also slightly better offensively at center than on McDavid's wing, passing is his strength and he works better from the middle of the ice rather than off the boards (but this is an aside topic- I'm mostly speaking to the notable difference in defensive play).

He is pretty damn bad defensively as a winger which no one will contest but I think a full year at center could shift this "Draisaitl is terrible defensively" narrative which is only partially true.

Mackinnon is by all means pretty average defensively which is not surprising, he's one of the league premier offensive threats, he's not out there to shutdown opposing lines. Draisaitl is behind him, but looking only at Draisaitl's time as a center, it's not by much.

Reactions: 4EDM14OIL93

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
You're absolutely right. It's not even close.

One of these two players has the following accolades:
2 x 100-point seasons
1 50-goal season
1 Art Ross Trophy
1 Hart Trophy
1 Ted Lindsay Trophy.

Hint: It's not MacKinnon.

and one of them have a Hart/ArtRoss/Lindsay winner absorbing the opposing team's shutdown pairs.

Look, there is no conspiracy to undermine your superstar player in Edm, we can plainly see he is a great player. He is just not as dominant as this particular player you're comparing him with. I've seen Draisaitl 4 times in person, and MAck 3 times, I came away impressed with Mack every. single. time., he factors in every aspect of offense on a offensive powerhouse, Draisaitl on the other hand just dutifully fills the scoresheet, I've never seen him dominate the way Mackinnon or McDavid did in my 4 viewings. So the question is, who do you build around, IMO, 10 times out of 10 its Mack AINEC. For your information, if the comparison is btw McD and Mack, then it will be much more debatable, all the oil fans defending Drai in droves seem excessive.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Do you or do you not think that having McDavid on the same team helped Draisaitl last year?
What you keep ignoring is that you can apply this to any player in the league. You seem to think it only applies to Draisaitl.

Did you have Malkin coming down a few rungs when him and Crosby were prime? Since Crosby was the best player in the league and they played on the same team and powerplay, surely that means most of Malkin's numbers were because of Crosby...

Right?

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
and one of them have a Hart/ArtRoss/Lindsay winner absorbing the opposing team's shutdown pairs.

Look, there is no conspiracy to undermine your superstar player in Edm, we can plainly see he is a great player. He is just not as dominant as this particular player you're comparing him with. I've seen Draisaitl 4 times in person, and MAck 3 times, I came away impressed with Mack every. single. time., he factors in every aspect of offense on a offensive powerhouse, Draisaitl on the other hand just dutifully fills the scoresheet, I've never seen him dominate the way Mackinnon or McDavid did in my 4 viewings. So the question is, who do you build around, IMO, 10 times out of 10 its Mack AINEC. For your information, if the comparison is btw McD and Mack, then it will be much more debatable, all the oil fans defending Drai in droves seem excessive.
I'm not so much defending Draisaitl as I am calling out stupid, lazy, inconsistent posts. Like I said a number of pages ago I'd take MacK as well. The delusion that somehow there's a chasm between the two and it's all because of McDavid is not only wrong, it's just plain stupid.

How many Oiler HOFers had their numbers pumped because they played on a team with Gretzky? Best player ever. They played on his powerplay. You could stick Gretzky on any team with any players and they'd kill it because it's Gretzky right? Obviously not. So why is this an argument for McDavid and Draisaitl? Why doesn't this illogical bullshit come up when discussing every other elite player in the league? Again, Malkin had the best.player in the league on his team and PP for years. Why do I not recall seeing these same folks hack him down in the same fashion? If that was the consensus and there's posts to back it up I'll gladly stand corrected.

Reactions: Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

So what you're talking about is the eye test. You're saying that MacKinnon is more exciting and dynamic to watch and you may be right. However, I'll take the guy that produces at a higher rate over the course of his career. Hence the figures I posted in my earlier comment.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

According to PuckIQ, Draisaitl played against elite competition more than MacKinnon did.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I've made my opinion known on the first page but I'm surprised that people act like there is some massive gap between them defensively.

Look at Draisaitl's defensive impact as center (after January 1st) versus as McDavid's winger (before January 1st). He is significantly better defensively as a center which is pretty logical, its his drafted position, it forces him lower in the zone, and he is "the guy" on his line where as he cheats for offense when he is on McDavid's wing. He is also slightly better offensively at center than on McDavid's wing, passing is his strength and he works better from the middle of the ice rather than off the boards (but this is an aside topic- I'm mostly speaking to the notable difference in defensive play).

He is pretty damn bad defensively as a winger which no one will contest but I think a full year at center could shift this "Draisaitl is terrible defensively" narrative which is only partially true.

Mackinnon is by all means pretty average defensively which is not surprising, he's one of the league premier offensive threats, he's not out there to shutdown opposing lines. Draisaitl is behind him, but looking only at Draisaitl's time as a center, it's not by much.

I think this is likely true. Draisaitl playing center with two competent wingers in the second half made for a line that dominated both the stat sheet and the underlying numbers. I'm not sold he will continue to produce like he did in that stretch though as the line rode some crazy hot numbers, and the Oilers PP all last year was unsustainably good. A full year playing center with a more reasonable PP and I bet both his production and defensive numbers look similar to MacKinnon's

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
well the Oilers are built around McDavid and the advanced stats guys on this site have made it known the Avs are built around Valeri "advanced stats God" Nichushkin because reasons. So i'll have to go with neither.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
well the Oilers are built around McDavid and the advanced stats guys on this site have made it known the Avs are built around Valeri "advanced stats God" Nichushkin because reasons. So i'll have to go with neither.
This is true though. Not specifically Nichushkin but the amount of quality depth players are what really makes that team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Draisaitl is playing great, but isn’t he more of a second fiddle, while Mackinnon is more the lead?

Poda

Jul 31, 2020
Has anyone noted yet, that MacKinnon's teammates scored more points than Draisaitl's teammates (including McDavid) last season until the Covid break? One should think that this is an interesting bit of information the way this discussion is going.

Reactions: Duke74

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
lolwut? Draisaitl has "put it all together"??? Not remotely close. He still leaches off McDavid ALOT, although not as much as in past years. And the same statistics that paint Matthews as a play driver and one that inhibits chances against among the best int he league, paint Draisaitl as a mess. Like Kovalev level floater.
Draisaitl didn't come close to "leaching" off of anyone this season and that's not really debatable.

Im glad this thread re-surfaced, it's clearly showing who's an idiot

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
2020 playoffs MacKinnon was the best player in the world, if he can sustain that level of play he'll surpass McDavid let alone Draisaitl. He was on a 137 point pace in the playoffs, that's unheard of.

Reactions: Lt Dan

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Has anyone noted yet, that MacKinnon's teammates scored more points than Draisaitl's teammates (including McDavid) last season until the Covid break? One should think that this is an interesting bit of information the way this discussion is going.
Don’t cloud the issue with facts

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid was on a 185 point pace. Just saying
Over a 4 game sample size. MacKinnon was over 15 games. Also if you look up their career playoffs total, they're not close at all.

I mean it's debatable if McDavid's points should even be considered playoff points....I still stand by that play in rounds aren't playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
What? McDavid scored 97 points? He scored more points than Rantanen and Landeskog combined. Not sure what you're talking about. In fact MacKinnon scored 43 more points than his next closest teammate.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What teammates? His linemates or literally everyone on the team? Who scored more than McDavid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad