Who do you build around: Draisaitl or Mackinnon?

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
They’re both 2,3 in the league but, If the two get traded for each other, I can almost assure you the avs would become a lot worse and the oilers would be better. MacKinnon’s style is so much easier to build a team around.
I don’t think there’s anyway the oilers lose to the hawks if they had both McDavid and Mackinnon on their roster either.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
They’re both 2,3 in the league but, If the two get traded for each other, I can almost assure you the avs would become a lot worse and the oilers would be better. MacKinnon’s style is so much easier to build a team around.
I don’t think there’s anyway the oilers lose to the hawks if they had both McDavid and Mackinnon on their roster either.

You should have just stopped after the word "think"
Drai had 3 goals and 3 assists in 4 games against the Hawks. I dont think McD and Drai were the problem.....

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I mean, again, I'm an Oilers' fan, so it would it be irrational/hypocritical to use playoff success as a direct variable to exalt one player in value over another.

I don't think it's hypocritical at all when trying to determine a player's ranking. MacKinnon's playoff "success" is the pillar that Avs fans (and others tbf) lean on when trying to justify ranking him ahead of McDavid. As I mentioned though, it's a mirage. MacKinnon has no Cup, no Finals appearances, not even a Conference Final. If he was this elite playoff performer you'd think he would have been able to lead his team (which is pretty talented outside of him) at least one round more than the Oilers, who have not had anywhere near the same depth over the same timeframe.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Then I really don't understand the linemate argument at all. Mack has a much better roster to play with, as you agree. Last time he had a bad roster he got 16 goals and 53 points. Last time Drai had had bad roster he had the first 50+50 season since Malkin in 2012.
The argument is that Draisaitl gets to play with a better player (best player in the world) than MacKinnon.

Just because McDavid is better than Rantanen and Landeskog doesn't mean the Oilers are better unfortunately. It's actually not very difficult to understand.

Reactions: Duke74

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
How much do Oilers fans think of the remainder of their team if they're willing to stake their lives so hard on the idea they have the top 2 players in the league on their roster?

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
He’s such a game breaker that he’s never been past the second round...
Oilers fans: "Draisaitl had 6 points in 4 GP against the Hawks. He is great and isn't the problem for the Oilers"

Also Oilers fans: "MacKinnon (who had 25 points in 15 GP) hasn't even been past the second round."

Bright bunch.

Reactions: Ncit3

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
I think this is a coinflip and depends on the team you want to build around...both elite players and much to love in their abilities to score.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
First of all they do play together on the pp. And secondly having another player eat up all the opposing teams top defenders is a massive advantage.

Is a very basic concept. Defenders can only be in the ice for so long. Teams only have so many top pairing dmen and shut down centres.

Pretty sure everyone understand the point you're trying to make. Since McDavid is such an outlier it has some influence, but likely less than you imagine.

Problem comes in when you
  • look at the players who didn't produce in the Oilers Top 6 (there is a huge list)
  • look at Maroon... "oh what an uptick playing on EDM Top 6"... then he wins 2 cups. (oh maybe he's actually a great complimentary player)
  • realize nearly every bona fide NHLer is a great hockey player
  • can make your same argument for nearly every team in the NHL
  • historically said the same thing about #99 & #11, then see #11 win 2 more cups without #99

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Oilers fans: "Draisaitl had 6 points in 4 GP against the Hawks. He is great and isn't the problem for the Oilers"

Also Oilers fans: "MacKinnon (who had 25 points in 15 GP) hasn't even been past the second round."

Bright bunch.
Is there a point your trying to make here? Draisaitl has had a dominant run and been to the second round too.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Is there a point your trying to make here? Draisaitl has had a dominant run and been to the second round too.
Yes the point is it is dumb so knock MacKinnon for his team not making it past the second round when he had 25 points in 15 games while at the same time saying Draisaitl was great in the playoffs because he had 6 points in 4 games and it doesn't matter that his team was out in the first round.

Reactions: Galactico

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
How much do Oilers fans think of the remainder of their team if they're willing to stake their lives so hard on the idea they have the top 2 players in the league on their roster?
Recently it's a garbage fire with a 1OA thrown in every season or 2... a total meat grinder for any Coach/GM foolhardy enough to come near it. We just got eliminated by CHI in the play in. You mistakenly read any overconfidence. It's a bluff, we're gambling, wishing, and praying bud.

Relevant to this thread COL is the #1 team in the league considering # of players in the top 250 (COL 12, EDM 8).
2 of EDM top players are in the Top 3

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

Bright bunch.

Care to explain how those two things are mutually exclusive?

Reactions: MessierII

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015

Bright bunch.
Did you read only one post or something? That has a bit more context to it..

Reactions: MessierII

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Either, and it’s close. It really depends what style you want to play.

Draisaitl and Rantanen play a more similar style of rangey game, whereas McDavid and Mackinnon while having differences do use their speed as a weapon.

I think you’d be better off with one of each style.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
So good that he plays goalie and defense as well as center? Cool.

The league MVP and scoring leader is the reason why a team isn’t a Stanley cup favorite. :joker:
Great player but Mack is just a notch above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad