Who do you build around: Draisaitl or Mackinnon?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Great player but Mack is just a notch above.
So the difference between a Stanley Cup favorite and where the Oilers are right now is having a player who is “just a notch above for their 2nd line C”. Has nothing to do with goaltending, defense, or lack of secondary scoring.

If what you were saying was in anyway true, the Aves would have definitely been a cup contender by now.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
How much do Oilers fans think of the remainder of their team if they're willing to stake their lives so hard on the idea they have the top 2 players in the league on their roster?

Im pretty sure if you read this or any of the other threads involving the Oilers you would fnd that we think our depth has been crap for years. Last year we had 2 first lines and 2 x 4-5th lines. Mediocre defense and sketchy goaltending. Most of us would also choose or at the least consider Mack over Drai as number 2 in the league. Its just not as easy a choice as some make it out to be.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I'm sure both teams are extremely happy to have who they have. You know people are bored when this topic gets 36 pages. I like Mack because I am an Avs fan. I wouldn't turn my nose up at Drai either. Both great players.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Imagine being so petty and insecure that you won't rest until you've convinced everyone that the two best players in the world play for your team.

Maybe focus on the rest of your roster a bit.

Reactions: Galactico

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The argument is that Draisaitl gets to play with a better player (best player in the world) than MacKinnon.

Just because McDavid is better than Rantanen and Landeskog doesn't mean the Oilers are better unfortunately. It's actually not very difficult to understand.

That argument kind of drops dead when you consider Draisaitl plays on a different line and actually improves statistically away from McDavid while MacKinnon plays on a line with those two and his metrics drop ~15% without them.

Statistically, it's very obvious who is more dependent on teammates.

Reactions: iCanada

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
MacKinnon is the current best playoff performer in the league. Who gives a shit about a few points here and there in the regular season

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I am an Oilers fan and would say that today, MacKinnon is slightly better than Draisaitl. They are the same age but MacKinnon does have an extra year of NHL experience.

I don't think most Oiler fans would get into a heated debates with anyone having the opinion that MacKinnon is slightly better but it's those saying "AINEC" or "not even on the same planet as" or "Draisaitl is a top 15 forward in the league" that gets us defensive... and especially with the archaic and proven ill-conceived argument that Draisaitl's success is mostly a product of him playing on the same team as McDavid.

Here where the thread goes off the rails... an Oiler poster makes a defensive statement to one of those hyperbolic comments... then a random poster comes in and only reads a few posts in the thread and judges the Oiler poster on a limited part of the debate.. then the Oiler haters come in to fan the flames (pardon the pun). It's so comical, so internet forum, so HF... continue on... illustrate your intelligence.

Reactions: Duke74

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Dude, Mackinnon has been as far in the playoffs as both mcdavid and draisaitl. Stop acting like he’s won cups.
Spoken like an Oiler fan. There is no I in team and one player cant do it all. Anyone who watched MacKinnon in the playoffs is now arguing he is the best in the world and we all know if Michael Hutchinson wasn't in net, the Avs would have been to the Conference Finals and likely Finals against the Bolts. Yes, its a woulda, coulda, didnt story, but they arent even close in terms of team progress Avs vs Oilers currently and playoff MacKinnon >>>>>>>> McDavid+Draisaitl.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Spoken like an Oiler fan. There is no I in team and one player cant do it all. Anyone who watched MacKinnon in the playoffs is now arguing he is the best in the world and we all know if Michael Hutchinson wasn't in net, the Avs would have been to the Conference Finals and likely Finals against the Bolts. Yes, its a woulda, coulda, didnt story, but they arent even close in terms of team progress Avs vs Oilers currently and playoff MacKinnon >>>>>>>> McDavid+Draisaitl.

Taking Mackinnon over BOTH McDavid and Draisaitl is pretty dumb.

I said that I’d take Mackinnon over Draisaitl and that it’s close. I don’t know why people like yourself think there’s a massive chasm between them.

Reactions: Duke74

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Big Mac all day every day. McDavid is the only player I would consider over him, and it would still be a tough choice.

Drai is a great player, but Mac carries the Avs night in and night out.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
So the difference between a Stanley Cup favorite and where the Oilers are right now is having a player who is “just a notch above for their 2nd line C”. Has nothing to do with goaltending, defense, or lack of secondary scoring.

If what you were saying was in anyway true, the Aves would have definitely been a cup contender by now.

The Avs were a cup contender last year and will be again this year and for years to come.

The Oilers have never been a cup contender in the duration of McDavid or LD's career.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Dude, Mackinnon has been as far in the playoffs as both mcdavid and draisaitl. Stop acting like he’s won cups.

So when LD and McDavid can't drag the Oilers to the playoffs it's due to hockey being a team sport, but with Mackinnon and his team's playoff success, that doesn't apply.

Interesting logic as always from Oiler nation.

Last edited:

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
So when LD and McDavid can't drag the Oilers to the playoffs it's due to hockey being a team sport, but with Mackinnon that doesn't apply.

Interesting logic as always from Oiler nation.
I don't get it

BB06

Jun 1, 2020

Avs would’ve been in the conference final if Mack didn’t put up his 3rd straight 0 in a game 7.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
MacKinnon is the current best playoff performer in the league. Who gives a shit about a few points here and there in the regular season

He’s particularly great in Games 6 and 7.

7 games 1 goal 1 assists for 2 points (pointless in 6 of those games)

2-5 record

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Taking Mackinnon over BOTH McDavid and Draisaitl is pretty dumb.

I said that I’d take Mackinnon over Draisaitl and that it’s close. I don’t know why people like yourself think there’s a massive chasm between them.

Obviously 2 great players > 1 great player in fantasy hockey world, but my point was McD/Drais dont show up in the playoffs and even if they do offensively, their defense is still so poor that they're net negative players. MacKinnon all day for a playoff run. Your fantasy roster, sure pick the two Oilers.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->