Who do you build around: Draisaitl or Mackinnon?

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Draisaitl or Mackinnon? Both are of similar age, both top line C. I was reading a thread about a EDM vs COL trio and saw quite a bit of controversy regarding these two players specifically. I don't watch enough of either to pick one.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I watch both them a lot. Very similar caliber of players and anyone who picks either and says "easily" or "ainec" is wrong.

They are both play drivers but in different ways.
Mackinnon will hustle his entire line into the offensive zone and immediately snaps a shot or centering pass to create a scoring chance.

Draisaitl is deceivingly fast, but his strength is more East-West play. His stickhandling through multiple defenders and backcheckers is amazing and his play along the boards is the best in the league (imo). He holds on the puck much longer and will stave off defenders to wait out a scoring chance.

Neither is that good defensively. Not as bad as some of here will say, but Mackinnon can get caught trying to do too much, and Draisaitl will make the occasional erratic pass that leads to a turn over. But either way they both mathup against other teams top players and pass the eye test in the defensive zone (imo)- good positioning, big bodies in the way, active sticks.

I'd build around Draisaitl if your team met the following criteria:
You have a goalscoring winger- Draisaitl is the better passer, he'd make more use of a Laine/Ovi
You have a high-end playmaking winger- Draisaitl is the better goalscorer (not by much tho), really nice 1-timer
You have smaller skilled wingers- Draisaitl really uses his body down low and can get physical to cover for a skill guy
Your team has a bad PP- Draisaitl imo controls the ice on the Oilers PP, which is surprising considering they have McDavid

I'd build around Mackinnon if your team met the following criteria:
You have a fast winger- Mackinnon is much better on the rush, driving North/South play
You need a 1 man line- I think Mackinnon could play with less talent better than Draisaitl could, does singlehanded plays more often
You have 2-way wingers- can sometimes cover defensively to allow Mackinnon to play that "thinking breakaway" style that he loves and excels at

While both are elite at essentially all aspects of the game, its obvious by watching playstyle that Mackinnon's number 1 strength is his physical tools where as for Draisaitl it's his hockey IQ.

Interesting enough I think if you put Mackinnon on Detroit, he'd still be a 90+ point player, where as Draisaitl I think would have to work to be PPG. Mackinnon does more with less.
But on the flip side, if you put Mackinnon on Tampa, I don't think he'd improve a ton and would be about a 110-115 point player. However, I think Draisaitl would be looking at 130+ points. Draisaitl utilizes the talent around him better, he will thread a pass only another elite player would think to connect on, or will predict his elite linemates' thinking and find the soft spot in the offensive zone to bury the goal himself.

Gun to my head I would take Colorado's #29. I think Mack is the recipe for consistency and could step onto any team be one of the league's premier players. For some teams (less than 10ish, including Edmonton) I think Draisaitl would be the more effective choice. Neither team would trade their guy for the other and in this instance both teams would be right.

This is as objective of a comparison as I can make.
This choice is by the thinnest of margins, they are close enough that I think the choice between them would be decided by outside factors.

Last edited:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I'll start this off by saying that it's CLOSE.

I think competition has to factor in, and that's the only reason I'd take MacK. Not saying Drai isn't elite, he's one of the best players in the league.

But it must help when teams are deploying their best shut-down lines to try to stop THE best player in the world, and you're facing the next best line.

Drai has still produced when McDavid has been out, but MacK has always been the 1C getting the tougher matchups.

Very slight advantage to MacKinnon, and it's not even something Drai can control.

Both are worthy Hart candidates and probably will have a shot at it every year for a while.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I honestly don't think it's close.

Mackinnon is much better. Incredible play driver. He's a menace and pushes the play on his own. His two-way impacts are vastly better.

Mackinnon has done more with less, with more scrutiny, and has better on-ice outcomes. Hard to conclude that he's not the clearly stronger option.

Mackinnon's speed and agility is just terrifying. Not just on the rush, but his cuts and edgework in-zone seem nearly impossible to defend against one-on-one. As an opposing fan, whenever Mackinnon is on the ice, I can feel something bad about to happen.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Much different players.

Draisaitl might be the most underrated player to ever lead the league in scoring imo.

He has a bigger body than MacKinnon and is able to box out in front of the net. He also has tremendous vision, probably better than Nate.

Both have excellent shots, that’s probably the only similar part of their game.

MacKinnon is an athletic freak who’s speed and agility is second only to McDavid. He also has the best stick handling in the league imo.

Both have been playoff monsters when they’ve been to the postseason.

Cant go wrong with either.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Driasaitl put up 17 more points this year than Nate, and 6 more points the year prior, tons of that time without McDavid. He also played less PP time per game than Nate, and actually PK'd. Draisaitl is also the better goal scorer, which is a bit ridiculous. There are certainly arguments to be made for Nate as well.

Look, I have Drat/Nate essentially tied as the 2nd best players in the league behind Davo. I think like others have mentioned, it depends on the style of game you're looking to play. Draisaitl definitely outperformed Nate this season, and outperformed him last season as well though. He has been better the last two seasons, and if he can do the same next season as well, I'd consider Drai to be the better player overall. It's damn close though.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Fair or not reality is draisaitl will always be living in McDavid a shadow unless he or McDavid leave Edmonton and like why would that happen anytime soon.

Draisaitl is absolutely on Mackinnon’s level and not a wrong choice here but I’d imagine the majority will pick MacKinnon because he’s the guy and shown he can be. Fair or not.

I take MacKinnon because he’s my guy.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I go Drai. It's projecting really far down the road, but MacKinnon is really reliant on his physical gifts, Draisaitl not so much.

Reactions: Sundin92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad