Speculation: Who do we target on D after OEL Buyout?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
No to any of these UFAs aside from maybe Schenn. I think the best move would be to try and acquire some younger dmen prospects who are buried in the AHL on other teams and appear to be ready to make the next step. Cost shouldn't be too much aside from similar prospects on the Canucks. These are the kind of guys who could end up being the next sleeper and turn into a legit top 4 dman.

Some names:

CBJ - Marcus Bjork RD, 25, 6-3" 203
LA - Jacob Moverare LD, 24, 6-2" 198
NJ - Reilly Walsh RD, 24, 5-11" 181
NYI - Robin Salo LD, 24, 6-0" 181
NYR - Matthew Robertson LD, 22, 6-4" 202
OTT - Jacob Bernard-Docker RD, 22, 6-1" 190
PHI - Ronnie Attard, RD, 24, 6-3" 205
VGK - Daniil Miromanov RD, 25, 6-4" 205
WPG - Simon Lundmark RD, 22, 6-2" 201

I like Bjork and JBD as possible targets. I wonder if Rathbone would interest any of those teams?

I dont see where Rathbone fits in with this club - I think guys like Hirose and Wolanin (Brisebois?) already ahead of him in the depth chart

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The Canuck way would be to lose Rathbone on waivers this season. I hope they deal him for a pick at the draft even if it's a 4th rounder. Better than losing him for nothing. Maybe a team like the Sharks or Hawks have some interest.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Its because right now we are looking to ice three NHL caliber Dmen at the start of the season.

If we move Myers that becomes two NHL caliber Dmen.
I think you mean we are icing two NHL caliber Dmen and if we move Myers we will still have two NHL caliber Dmen. :sarcasm:

No to any of these UFAs aside from maybe Schenn. I think the best move would be to try and acquire some younger dmen prospects who are buried in the AHL on other teams and appear to be ready to make the next step. Cost shouldn't be too much aside from similar prospects on the Canucks. These are the kind of guys who could end up being the next sleeper and turn into a legit top 4 dman.

Some names:

I would rather they sign some guys like this (I don't know much about them but I like the idea of cheap bets) and let them and the current AHL guys fight it out for the NHL roster spots as well. Either way you just end up with a stacked Abby team.

The book on Hronek is up in the air but generally the team has struck out on big ticket defenders brought in to make a splash since the Benning era.

We act as if this team didn't look perfectly fine on many nights with just Hughes and 5 Abby guys.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The Canuck way would be to lose Rathbone on waivers this season. I hope they deal him for a pick at the draft even if it's a 4th rounder. Better than losing him for nothing. Maybe a team like the Sharks or Hawks have some interest.
I could see Rathbone being flipped to Boston if we do go after Grzelyck or Forbort. His best bet to get NHL ice time might be his cheap contract. Some of the more cash strapped teams might value that more than a bottom-dweller.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Some names:

I’m open to UFAs for our top-four RD/LD spots as long as we don’t overpay or overterm too significantly.

The goal should be to have Demitra/Sundin like acquisitions to this roster over the next 1-2 years. Not Linden Vey acquisitions.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think you mean we are icing two NHL caliber Dmen and if we move Myers we will still have two NHL caliber Dmen. :sarcasm:
I think he might bounce back to bottom paring level next year. This might be a weird take...

The real problem is his contract.

He is totally miscast as a match up defender.

Feb 19, 2018
As much as it hurts to say it, Kuzmenko might be our best bargaining chip to get a player like Pesce from Carolina. If he continues to be in Tocchets doghouse like last year it’s something worth pursuing. In turn, we might get better value for our other wingers as we have a lot that can slide in that roll beside Petey and teams aren’t wanting them without an asset attached to them.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
As much as it hurts to say it, Kuzmenko might be our best bargaining chip to get a player like Pesce from Carolina. If he continues to be in Tocchets doghouse like last year it’s something worth pursuing. In turn, we might get better value for our other wingers as we have a lot that can slide in that roll beside Petey and teams aren’t wanting them without an asset attached to them.
He is not worth much in a trade right now. He is roughly worth his conteract. And very likely to face steep decline from last year in production.

He was worth a whole lot at last TDL on his ELC.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: racerjoe

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What does that have to do with Kuzmenko's value?
Those were players whose stats screamed they were in for decline last season and then they did.

Kuzmenko's stats are the most extreme example of red flags for decline I remember ever seeing.

The league also knows that.

I am using this as an example where @HairyKneel :ls thinking leads. Just look no further than JT Miller and OEL & Myers from last year.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I am expecting kuz to drop a bit maybe.. but dont think another 30 is far fetched
Im expecting sub 30 goals.

I'll be pleasantly suprised if he manages to stave off regression.

His was the 13th highest single season shooting % since the stat has been available.

Reactions: andora

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Kuz if he stays healthy with those hands and shot and playing with Pettersson will easily get 30.

Agree that the shooting pct will regress but he also didnt avg that much ice time at 16 minutes and wasn't exactly being a volume shooter either. By comparison Boeser 2.75 SOG & 5.05 attempts in his career vs 1.76 and 3.40 for Kuzmenko. He can have his pctgs drop to 18% and still be a 33 goal scorer with a .5 SOG uptick

Last edited:
Reactions: me2 and racerjoe

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I have not read through the thread. But; how are we supposed to be able to plunge in to the meagre and shallow UFA pool when Pearson and potentially Poolman may be ready for the pre season and as such will count to the full extent against the cap?

Every year in free agency we see crazy signings and this years pool is very shallow which suggests GMs will be fighting and over paying for whatever is available. Can we even afford this knowing that Pearson and Poolman will potentially be ready at full cap for the pre-season?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Kuz if he stays healthy with those hands and shot and playing with Pettersson will easily get 30.

Agree that the shooting pct will regress but he also didnt avg that much ice time at 16 minutes
Pretty much his highest TOI in the KHL

and wasn't exactly being a volume shooter either. By comparison Boeser 2.75 SOG & 5.05 attempts in his career vs 1.76 and 3.40 for Kuzmenko. He can have his pctgs drop to 18% and still be a 33 goal scorer with a .5 SOG uptick
His KHL profile is not that of a sniper.

He COULD do what you are saying but I think we should not expect it. We should expect a pretty heavy decline from last year.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Im expecting sub 30 goals.

I'll be pleasantly suprised if he manages to stave off regression.

His was the 13th highest single season shooting % since the stat has been available.
Of course you are. It’s easier to be negative and smarmy about everything then to have a bit of optimism.

Kuzmenko probably had 8 - 10 tap in goals which would greatly skew those numbers. I saw a player with velvet hands, good quickness, great hockey sense and a decent two way game. I don’t expect him to maintain that shooting pctg and would like to see him rip over 200 shots. All that said he’s been gifted a spot and fit like a glove with one of the league’s best players. I think the two have a great chemistry together. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t put up another 70 + points next season.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
So I'm NOT SUGGESTING ANYTHING, but would Radko Gudas be worth a look at the right number? Yes he's 33 but if these last playoffs showed anything, he may bring something the Canucks need to the table.

Reactions: Buresflyingelbow

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pretty much his highest TOI in the KHL

His KHL profile is not that of a sniper.

He COULD do what you are saying but I think we should not expect it. We should expect a pretty heavy decline from last year.
And i agree but using the stats you referenced should also come with the context that he also didnt really have that many shots on goal.

I fully expect him to finish above 198th in SOG next year and with Horvat gone more PP1 time

Reactions: rypper

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Of course you are. It’s easier to be negative and smarmy about everything then to have a bit of optimism.
Negativity or positivity has nothing to do with it.

I mean I was way higher on Boeser, before the season, than 95% of the posters here.

I did not find doing that any harder.
Kuzmenko probably had 8 - 10 tap in goals which would greatly skew those numbers.
How does this work against my theory that he will decline?

I saw a player with velvet hands, good quickness, great hockey sense and a decent two way game. I don’t expect him to maintain that shooting pctg and would like to see him rip over 200 shots. All that said he’s been gifted a spot and fit like a glove with one of the league’s best players. I think the two have a great chemistry together. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t put up another 70 + points next season.
His two way play was questionable and he was not really able to produce when removed from EP40.

This is an issue. We've seen everyone from Lane Pedersson, Ilya Mikheyev to Anthony Beauvilier (and Kuzmenko) be able to produce with EP40. FAR above their production previously.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So I'm NOT SUGGESTING ANYTHING, but would Radko Gudas be worth a look at the right number? Yes he's 33 but if these last playoffs showed anything, he may bring something the Canucks need to the table.
it's not a bad suggestion but i'm of the opinion that we need to solely focus on a top4 LD.

Hronek Myers Bear(if they keep him which i believe they will) and Johansson Juulsen Burroughs McWard Woo should be enough depth to wait for Bear to get back. I really dont want to add years on a Beagle type deal for Gudas to get a short term fix alongside Hughes

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
And i agree but using the stats you referenced should also come with the context that he also didnt really have that many shots on goal.

I fully expect him to finish above 198th in SOG next year and with Horvat gone more PP1 time
He was never a volume shooter in the KHL.

Maybe he will change. Lets not forget that despite being a rookie he is 27 and most likely a finished product.

edit. Sorry. This is the wrong thread for this.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I think he's going to get an outsized contract, both term and cap hit, based purely on these most recent playoffs, looking mean, and having a big beard. He's the kind of guy, like Schenn and Mayfield, where so much of their value is tied up in playing well above his cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad