Speculation: Who do we target on D after OEL Buyout?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just wanted a separate thread to specifically talk about who we might be thinking about signing, to fill in the gaps on LD and RD this Offseason.

Just curious which name do you guys like?

( ps - I feel we’re going to get even work cap space in the next two weeks, we’re definitely moving at least one winger)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Its not a great UFA class this year. Graves ticks the most boxes although Im a little scarred of an overpayment to someone like JT Compher

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
The two names that immediately jump to mind are Graves and Soucy

I suppose the fact that the Blue Jackets have like 11 NHL d man could be pondered as well
I think Soucy would be a great fit, I think there is still some untapped ability there. Could see him either anchoring a bottom pairing or riding shotgun to Quinn, playing it safe to unleash QH.

EDIT: I don't mean Soucy is a long term solution for QH's partner, just temporarily till we either draft a RD, get one via trade, UFA signing next summer.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Graves is fine but only at $4 million x 4 years maximum. I think he's looking for more than that though. I'd rather see if Vegas wants to unload Alec Martinez's contract (one year left) for future considerations and then next season go after Devon Toews as a UFA.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Why would Tampa trade him? Are they rebuilding ?

What’s the purpose of this? Do you actually want the team to attempt to sign this plug?
They're right up against the cap so they may need to move someone. Replacing Cernak is easier than their other top players. Not that they are going to move him but that's the type of D we should be targeting not overpaying Graves in FA.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
They're right up against the cap so they may need to move someone. Replacing Cernak is easier than their other top players. Not that they are going to move him but that's the type of D we should be targeting not overpaying Graves in FA.
Cernak is one of the last players they would
Consider moving.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Do you try for another Miller trade? Lottery protected 1st for a mid-20s player? It’s the exact same reasoning and risk as previous management made.

Reactions: oceanchild

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I’d much rather be looking for an overpaid defencemen with shorter term that a team is looking to unload because of cap reasons. Alec Martinez and Cernak like said above are good examples. Relying on free agency to improve the blue line is how you end up with Tyler Myers and Ben Chiarots. Maybe after teams have blown there loads, see what is available. Otherwise stay the f*** away

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I’d much rather be looking for an overpaid defencemen with shorter term that a team is looking to unload because of cap reasons. Alec Martinez and Cernak like said above are good examples. Relying on free agency to improve the blue line is how you end up with Tyler Myers and Ben Chiarots. Maybe after teams have blown there loads, see what is available. Otherwise stay the f*** away
How is Cernak a good example ?

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Only ufas that move the needle are Soucy ($$$) and stetcher.

RFA's there's many more options, most prob don't move teams but K'andre being the most obvious big win.
Borgen, Attard, Fehérváry among others would be good fits also.

Trade wise who knows, anyone could theoretically be available but of the rumored names/teams out there Sanhiem, Rasmus Andersson, hanafin, pesce would all be a massive wins.

Big no thanks to Graves, dumolin, Holl, Krug, Mayfield, Hagg, etc etc.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I really do think we should target Stecher. He’s criminally underrated and therefore would likely not be very effective.

I like Soucy, but I think he’s going to get overpaid.

Graves is the other prominent defender who is in / entering his prime, but I don’t know enough about him and also think he’s a candidate to get overpaid.

EDIT: Meant to say “expensive” for Stecher. LOL.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I really do think we should target Stecher. He’s criminally underrated and therefore would likely not be very effective.

I like Soucy, but I think he’s going to get overpaid.

Graves is the other prominent defender who is in / entering his prime, but I don’t know enough about him and also think he’s a candidate to get overpaid.
Stetcher sucks. This obsession of former C grade players in this market needs to stop. Do you want to improve the team or are you aspiring to get the old sh!tty band back together? Let’s grab Edler, Tryamkin, Stetcher and Hutton! Blows my f***ing mind when I read this sh!t. Have some pride Canuck fans. Let’s try and fix the team in the present and the future

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00