who do we target in FA ?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Nelson is 27, giving him a 6 year 36 million(Not sure that would get it done) would be acceptable for me.

He is a consistant 20 goal scoring 2-way center(Well defensively responsible)
That's a crazy risky contract... before this year under Trotz he was one of the major whipping boys on that team and wasn't known as a two way guy.

Reactions: cybresabre

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Re-sign Skinner. Make a hockey trade or two where you can (maybe Risto?). Offersheet one of Marner or Point out of TO/TB.

But above all, next year should be about an influx of talent from Roch. VO, Nylander, Smith, DOR, Pilut, Borgen. They all should be Sabres next year.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Who are the best candidates as #2 C in FA? We can hope for Mittlestadt to be that guy, but he can also play just as well on the wing. Why don't we put Reinhart at C. Eichel/Reinhart should be good enough. Grab a top 6 winger in FA and call it a day.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Re-sign Skinner. Make a hockey trade or two where you can (maybe Risto?). Offersheet one of Marner or Point out of TO/TB.

But above all, next year should be about an influx of talent from Roch. VO, Nylander, Smith, DOR, Pilut, Borgen. They all should be Sabres next year.

I'm guessing O'Regan is gone as I don't think he can hit enough games to not go to group 6 UFA.

If Pilut isn't up full time, there needs to be some management/coaching changes.

But above all, Botts needs to fix the hole at 2/3C he created, even if it's a shorter term type player.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Who are the best candidates as #2 C in FA? We can hope for Mittlestadt to be that guy, but he can also play just as well on the wing. Why don't we put Reinhart at C. Eichel/Reinhart should be good enough. Grab a top 6 winger in FA and call it a day.

If they haven't tried Sam at center at this point, it's really hard to imagine it would suddenly occur to them.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Once bitten? Who HAS worked out in Buffalo as a big name UFA? Botterill has been plugging holes through UFA, and that's fine on a one or two year deal. But now they have guys from Roch that can plug those and need to be patient with drafting, development, and even trades.
Ehrhoff

Reactions: DJN21

Deleted member 27798

Do you think Malone gets a look before the year is over to see if he can keep up in the bigs?
Malone seems like a possible 4th line candidate...and every time I think about it, he gets hurt again.

Deleted member 27798

...and try to find a maybe less flashy more defensively responsible Risto replacement in FA.
You mean like Scandella was supposed to be when the Sabres traded for him? ;)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The "fools and their money" song is being overplayed a bit. By my count, there were only five contracts of five or more years given out to players who moved teams last offseason, and four of those players received five years and were not named John Tavares. Only JVR, James Neal, John Moore (low cap hit, though), Jack Johnson (LOL) are also in that category. There should be a good mid-market in this UFA class, and we should be active in it.

Nelson is 27, giving him a 6 year 36 million(Not sure that would get it done) would be acceptable for me.

He is a consistant 20 goal scoring 2-way center(Well defensively responsible)

Nelson won't get 6x6. He could've been had for a song last summer. Teams won't pay for one season. I think he'll get four years, maybe a fifth, for around $5m.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ummm, the Sabres aren't handing out an offersheet this summer.

They don't own their 2020 3rd round pick.

So, they only have three tiers of OSs that they can sign a player to:

$0 - $1,339,575No Compensation
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$2,029,660 - $4,059,3221 Second Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
$10,148,303 - ∞4 First Round Picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't foresee Botterill giving Point or Marner more than Eichel makes and potentially giving up 4 1st round picks.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I don't foresee Botterill giving Point or Marner more than Eichel makes and potentially giving up 4 1st round picks.
It doesn't have to necessarily be about getting the player though. It can be about cap strapping a division rival.

Offer either one of them the same deal as Eich and we either get a great player at TO or Tampa's expense, OR, we force them to match and put them in an even more compromising financial position.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It doesn't have to necessarily be about getting the player though. It can be about cap strapping a division rival.

Offer either one of them the same deal as Eich and we either get a great player at TO or Tampa's expense, OR, we force them to match and put them in an even more compromising financial position.
Marner wouldn't accept Jack's contract. Point might.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

You can't offer the same exact deal as Eichel got.

And even if you offer 7 years @ $10M to match Eichel's cap hit, I doubt that you get Marner to sign that. My guess is that he will want closer to Matthews' cap hit ($11.634M per).

Point will be interesting to watch since Stamkos is at $8.5M and Kuch will be at $9.5M.

Regardless, I doubt Botterill wants to roll the dice around giving up 4 1sts to a division rival, even if it means getting a guy like Marner or Point.

I still think the RFA OS chatter in the media is just media clickbait.

Media heads have talked about this being the year with regards to OSs for a while.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Once bitten? Who HAS worked out in Buffalo as a big name UFA? Botterill has been plugging holes through UFA, and that's fine on a one or two year deal. But now they have guys from Roch that can plug those and need to be patient with drafting, development, and even trades.

Spacek, Teppo, Ward, Ehroff ( trade and sign).

Reactions: Chainshot

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I doubt Point would even consider signing an OS unless Tampa royally screws up. He seems to love it there and has indicated he's flexible on term to make it work. Marner I could see signing with the highest bidder, but his camp seems to think he's worth what Matthews got. That kind of money would kill our cap structure going forward, and we wouldn't even have 1st round talents on ELCs to cheaply fill out the roster with.

A big-name offersheet just doesn't seem realistic.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
"Whom" do we target in free agency. "we" is the subject in this sentence. "who" is the subjective case pronoun. The objective case pronoun is "whom".
/grammar Nazi

Skinner, if he wants to stay. I love his love for the game.

Kevin Hayes if the Jets don't have an agreement in place.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It all kind of depends on what some of the UFAs are willing to take money-wise.

Brassard would make sense on a short 1 or 2 year deal while Mitts develops. Dzingel would make sense if the money is right.
If we trade Risto, I'd take Myers back or sign Stralman.

Assuming Pominville doesn't come back, we're going to need a RW or two. Among guys listed by capfriendly as RW (which may not be accurate) -- Tanev, Donskoi seems like they'd make the most sense as bottom 6 guys. Maybe Acciari. Maybe Connolly. Simmonds would be nice......if the price is right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad