who do we target in FA ?

Member 308457

I don't know who the Sabres are supposed to get to improve. So many acquisitions backfire for this organization. It seems players regress when they get here, only to do better elsewhere. All I know is the Sabres MUST get rid of Okposo, any which way. I don't care what they pay him, what's the structure. The guy is a real drain on the organization and cannot play anymore.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Eric Staal was the only guy I really wanted as a UFA. Now he's gone there's not really anyone who jumps out. Everyones either going to be too expensive - both in terms of dollars & term - or just not good enough to improve the team the way we need.

Hoping that a Skinner signing costs 8m per or less & a couple of additions like Sheary or Scandella in previous summers.

If Risto gets traded I'm hoping it's for Trouba - it's the only deal which makes sense to me. Risto for F just blows another huge hole in the team.

Once most or all of Bogo/Scandella/Sobotka/Sheary are off the books & we know what Sam & Mitt are going to cost I'll rethink in the 2020 offseason. But likely still won't want any big UFA adds then either.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Maybe the wrong place to post this (College thread???), but, now that it is March and I start mildly looking at College standings, seedings, etc:
1. What undrafted / UDFA Collegians are possibly - or should be - on the Sabres roster?
2. Given the post-TDL lack of a 23-man NHL roster limit, whose season will end early, possibly giving a signed player a longer look than a token game or two?

1. We should sign Taro Hirose out of MSU, so we can chant 'We want Taro' whenever Phil benches him.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Certainly love to address the wing position and try to change the bottom 6. Can’t have three forwards with zero offensive ability. Time for Girgs to go and Larsson. Heck I’d consider strongly buying out Sobotka because all three of those guys are kind of useless offensively and there defensive abilities aren’t exceptional.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Certainly love to address the wing position and try to change the bottom 6. Can’t have three forwards with zero offensive ability. Time for Girgs to go and Larsson. Heck I’d consider strongly buying out Sobotka because all three of those guys are kind of useless offensively and there defensive abilities aren’t exceptional.
:banghead:

Or we let Girgs-Larsson do what they do on the 4th line and fix the middle 6. Getting rid of them cause they don't provide offense makes no sense and just creates more holes in the F ranks. They aren't good defensively or on the PK? Yeah they had a bad game last night, but they've brought it 90% of the time this season, they're the least of our concerns, who do we magically replace them with at 4LW-4C, would love to hear your options.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
In theory Kevin Hayes is a good fit but he’s going to be priced out of what I’d want him for so Botterill has to go find a cheaper version somehow.

What I want is to trade Ristolainen and Scandella and sign a D with any hockey sense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sitting here, staring at the blank expanse of a vomit copy of a paper I'm "writing" and all of a sudden Hunter Shepard's name popped into my head.

Him, Sturm, Kuffner / Veronneau (the tandem set).

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Sturm and Anders Lee are both high on my list. Assuming we keep Skinner:

Skinner - Eichel - Lee
Olofsson - Mitts - Reinhart
Sheary - Sturm - E-Rod
Girgs - Larsson - Okposo
x Thompson, Smith, Nylander?

I don’t hate that top 9. Some heavies/diggers on the wing, and hopefully a way to separate Jack and Sam to bring some scoring depth.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
A 2-4 million dollar offersheet at 5 years or less comes with a 2nd round pick compensation. It'll be tough for Toronto to match too, if that Marner contract negotation is as contentious as most believe it will be.

I think they'd match on Kapanen. His trade value far exceeds a 2nd round pick, and Dubas would do what he had to do to keep Kapanen. Especially at around $4m. Also, they should do a one-year deal so that he'd be up again next season. Getting Kapanen locked in at $4MM for five years is a gift to the Leafs.

Botts should approach the agents for both Johnsson and Kapanen and tell the he wants to sign them to offer sheets for one year at the highest salary permitted with only a 2nd rounder for compensation. Who knows if they'd be game, but if the players were, they could put Toronto in a horrible spot. Sign one, and if Toronto matches, sign the other. But this league is stupid, and the GMs will sit idly by while the Leafs sign Kapanen for a combined $5MM next year.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think they'd match on Kapanen. His trade value far exceeds a 2nd round pick, and Dubas would do what he had to do to keep Kapanen. Especially at around $4m. Also, they should do a one-year deal so that he'd be up again next season. Getting Kapanen locked in at $4MM for five years is a gift to the Leafs.

Botts should approach the agents for both Johnsson and Kapanen and tell the he wants to sign them to offer sheets for one year at the highest salary permitted with only a 2nd rounder for compensation. Who knows if they'd be game, but if the players were, they could put Toronto in a horrible spot. Sign one, and if Toronto matches, sign the other. But this league is stupid, and the GMs will sit idly by while the Leafs sign Kapanen for a combined $5MM next year.
Agreed on all counts. You posed this scenario earlier in the year and it makes a lot of sense. It really would be a win win for us. Toronto matches they are that much worse off in relation to the salary cap. They don't we get a young top 6 guy for a 2nd round pick. This really is a perfect storm for a potential offersheet, but as you said I doubt it happens. It's so frustrating to watch GM's not use a very valuable tool to improve their teams.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
circling back to my Donskoi wish, seems like he'd be a really good 'moneyball' target. His GAR/WAR is one of the most underrated in the league based on salary (similar to Matthews, Huberdeau, Oshie, Hertl, Krejci...). Coming off a $1.9m aav, I might be willing to double that salary if they had to overpay a tad to get him out of SJ, obviously SJ would be wise to re-up him, but considering the cap crunch they'll be on going forward, it might be possible. Would love Lee or Nelson, but I don't see the Isles letting either walk (I think Perron will be their choice to walk away from if they have to).

Reactions: brian_griffin

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
I think a lot depends on whether we trade Risto for a top 6 offensive player.
If he is traded I think we go hard at a fa defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->