who do we target in FA ?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Botts needs to do a good job selling Rochester, bus rides and the pressbox to these Euro FAs.

Even with the handling of guys like Pilut this year, people outside the organization must see the opportunity a talent-strapped team could provide to get to the show. And there is nothing saying the coach or the GM who Pilut'd Pilut this year will be around long.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
If we can reel in Quenneville, I'd love to see us nab Marcus Kruger. He was always a go-to for Quenneville in Chicago and the guy just brings it every night. If you want to talk about a guy who'd elevate the effort standard for everyone else on the team, Kruger's it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Caution -- or at least precision -- should be their watch word. Identify very specific personnel in certain roles to upgrade, don't just go in with fat stacks thinking that will solve all ills.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'd like to see:

Sign NCAA free agent Nico Sturm

Free agency: go cautiously.

Joonas Donskoi
Marcus Kruger (if Quenneville comes)
I think you're gonna be disappointed in both. Q was slow to react when his offensive juggernaut was countered. And Krueger is alot of activity and little accomplishment.
/s/STH

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
I've caught parts of a few Jackets games since the trade and I'm still sure that I hope Buffalo has no part in Duchene this summer.
ive seen a bit of about 2 games, but is the whole team not regressing? or do you think duche has been mostly invis? it would be even more weird for botts to ship out RoR to just try and replace him with duche on a more expensive contract.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I’d like to see no signings over 2 mil per. No more okposos. We can’t sign or trade for players because we are managed by morons so just build from within.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I’d like to see no signings over 2 mil per. No more okposos. We can’t sign or trade for players because we are managed by morons so just build from within.

So Anders Lee says he'd love to be a member of the Sabres for 5m a season for the next 5 years, and you say no? Just because we've been burned a few times doesn't mean every signing is going to burn us. And would you count a Skinner "extension" as a signing?

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Re-sign Skinner and Larsson.

Sign Brandon Tanev. Garnet Hathaway, Noel Acciari.

Trade Mittelstadt/Rodrigues/McCabe/2021 SLB #2 to Minny for 2019 1st/Brodin/Staal.

Trade Sheary for a pick.

Bury Hunwick&Wilson, Thompson in Roch, don't resign Girgensons.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Tanev - Staal - Nylander
Olofsson - Larsson - Hathaway
CJ Smith - Acciari - Okposo
Sobotka/O'Regan

Brodin - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Bogosian
Pilut - Montour
Scandella/Nelson

Hutton
Ullmark

Mittelstadt is a heavy price to pay. Minny does the deal to get a young #1C prospect that they've been wanting forever plus he's a Minny boy, an RH wing as they don't have any and a young LHD they can tie up a long time as a #4 for about $3.5 as they've got a lot of money in their top 3 D. Sabres get Brodin who is the perfect partner for Risto, a veteran 2nd line C on a fantastic contract and a 1st that should be in the 10-12 range.

The free agents signings are all bottom 6 types who play a heavier game and won't break the bank. 3 year deals for all of them, spread the toughness across the lines.

With 4-6 pick Dach/Cozens/Turcotte, with 10-12 pick Broberg/Soderstrom/Krebs. Insert the 1st 1st into the 2020 lineup and the 2nd 1st into the 2021 lineup. Hate to keep kicking the can down the road but this should be a playoff team next year and a contender in 2021/22. Pray that UPL is ready to be a #1 by then.

Last edited:

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Re-sign Skinner and Larsson.

Sign Brandon Tanev. Garnet Hathaway, Noel Acciari.

Trade Mittelstadt/Rodrigues/McCabe/2021 SLB #2 to Minny for 2019 1st/Brodin/Staal.

Trade Sheary for a pick.

Bury Hunwick&Wilson, Thompson in Roch, don't resign Girgensons.

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart
Tanev - Staal - Nylander
Olofsson - Larsson - Hathaway
CJ Smith - Acciari - Okposo
Sobotka/O'Regan

Brodin - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Bogosian
Pilut - Montour
Scandella/Nelson

Hutton
Ullmark

Mittelstadt is a heavy price to pay. Minny does the deal to get a young #1C prospect that they've been wanting forever plus he's a Minny boy, an RH wing as they don't have any and a young LHD they can tie up a long time as a #4 for about $3.5 as they've got a lot of money in their top 3 D. Sabres get Brodin who is the perfect partner for Risto, a veteran 2nd line C on a fantastic contract and a 1st that should be in the 10-12 range.

With 4-6 pick Dach/Cozens/Turcotte, with 10-12 pick Broberg/Soderstrom/Krebs. Insert the 1st 1st into the 2020 lineup and the 2nd 1st into the 2021 lineup. Hate to keep kicking the can down the road but this should be a playoff team next year and a contender in 2021/22.

1) Welcome!
2) Over 7 mil salary in, just over 2 mil out, with Sam, Montour, Pilut all on contract years? Yikes.
3) Girgensons for Acciari seems lateral at best. Let's just keep Girgensons.
4) I'm not putting Olofsson with those 2 players.
5) 53-9-23 should never be a thing again.
6) EDIT: The most important thing. You forgot to fire Housley.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
1) Welcome!
2) Over 7 mil salary in, just over 2 mil out, with Sam, Montour, Pilut all on contract years? Yikes.
3) Girgensons for Acciari seems lateral at best. Let's just keep Girgensons.
4) I'm not putting Olofsson with those 2 players.
5) 53-9-23 should never be a thing again.
6) EDIT: The most important thing. You forgot to fire Housley.

Thanks good to be here! Yeah I'd turn it over to Quenneville but wouldn't jump off a building if Taylor got a shot.

It's a max salary cap team, but Sobotka/Scandella/Bogosian fall off to pay the RFAs. And Scandella could get a 5th I think.

Acciari is a solid 4th line C which is why he is preferable to Girgs, to keep Sobotka on the bench.

I think you can keep Eichel/Skinner minutes down with 3 dependable lines and they can score at the rate they were midseason. They were carrying a load similar to Risto's minutes the past few years. If Skinner re-signs it's cuz he wants to be Eichel's wingman and be a 40goal guy, I don't think he's a 40goal guy with another C on the team.

I think C is a tricky position right now. Mittelstadt should be on the wing for a couple of years til he bulks up and learns the pro game. I think Hayes will get 6million plus for at least 6 years and I don't want to pay that, Brock Nelson will command too many years as well. A stop-gap veteran C is what we should be targeting and the trade market seems to be the only option.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
So Anders Lee says he'd love to be a member of the Sabres for 5m a season for the next 5 years, and you say no? Just because we've been burned a few times doesn't mean every signing is going to burn us. And would you count a Skinner "extension" as a signing?

Why would Lee sign with the sabres? Why would any self respecting player sign with the sabres on a reasonable deal? We are a garbage team and not a destination. We aren’t signing any free agents on a good deal.

We have to build a winning team from within to have any chance at signing free agents on the cheap.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm a very good A level beer league goalie. I think I'm better than Vinz. And I'm a free agent. Please send the Pegula jet my way. Ready and willing.

(PS: I'd like 27. It's available.).

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad