who do we target in FA ?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'd go with trading Risto and Thompson for a winger. Maybe to Winnipeg. And try to find a maybe less flashy more defensively responsible Risto replacement in FA.

Bring up one or two of the kids for replacement on wing and maybe add another wing via FA that doesnt cost an arm and a leg

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Re-sign Skinner and leave it at that.

We have a lot of expenses coming up in Dahlin and Reinhart's 2nd and 3rd contracts, maybe Mitts depending on how he develops. I'm not sure how that all looks, but if possible I think we want to leave space for some hockey trades to fill holes as needed. No need to muck it up too much with some aggressive FA signings.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
A center. For sure.

Trades are where the change should come though. I see Risto getting dealt. I see us considering moving Hutton if this slide continues. I see us trying to bolster the forward core.

It’ll be a very interesting June and july

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Depends on what gets filled if/when we trade a RHD. gotta think if risto goes, one top 6 forward comes back, and you fill the other via UFA.

But even still, if one RHD gets moved, I don't trust the D is good enough as is. Gotta get a legit top line Dman somewhere

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Re-sign Skinner. Stay pat and give the kids a chance one year wiser and better. If opportunity arises go fetch an upper level middle six center without handiCAPping us long term.

Unfortunately the center options are Hayes and Duchene which maybe means none are available as it is likely they are signed before hitting UFA IM(.
Sure would be nice to get Pavelski in here on a three year deal. It'll never happen, but he's exactly the player we need right now.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Some version of Josefson, Griffith, Tennyson, or Pouliot.

I'm not particularly optimistic. The Duchenes and Hayes of the world won't come to Buffalo. I suspect Botts' theme this year will be about injecting "vets who've won" into our locker room. I'm fully expecting us to sign guys like Hagelin, Connolly, and Girardi (after Tampa wins the Cup), and calling it a UFA season.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Re-sign Skinner. Stay pat and give the kids a chance one year wiser and better. If opportunity arises go fetch an upper level middle six center without handiCAPping us long term.

Unfortunately the center options are Hayes and Duchene which maybe means none are available as it is likely they are signed before hitting UFA IM(.

Brock Nelson is the perfect fit for the sabres as a third line center. Should come at a reasonable price if he hits UFA.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Botterill seems to prefer making major off season additions via trade rather than UFA.

As he should. Rarely do big money UFA contracts work out for teams.

Exhibit A: Kyle Okposo

I am much more interested in seeing if Botts can take advantage of teams like Winnipeg, Vegas, Tampa, and Toronto having cap concerns than him going after a big name UFA.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
No big game hunting in the skater ranks, thank you. Signing Skinner is the most I want to do there. If I would go after one big fish, it would probably be Bobrovsky. This team is desperate for goal tending. They should have sent Hutton to SJ yesterday and brought up Wilcox.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
No big game hunting in the skater ranks, thank you. Signing Skinner is the most I want to do there. If I would go after one big fish, it would probably be Bobrovsky. This team is desperate for goal tending. They should have sent Hutton to SJ yesterday and brought up Wilcox.

Bobrovsky?! The guy is on his way to posting a sub-.910 SV% for the second time in four years. If the numbers hold, he'll have a worse SV% than Hutton in each of the last two seasons. I'm not asserting that Hutton is better; I'm stating that giving Bobrovsky a 7-year deal for $8m is absolute madness. Let Florida make that mistake.

Thankfully, Bob doesn't appear to want another small market.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Botterill seems to prefer making major off season additions via trade rather than UFA.

As he should. Rarely do big money UFA contracts work out for teams.

Exhibit A: Kyle Okposo

I am much more interested in seeing if Botts can take advantage of teams like Winnipeg, Vegas, Tampa, and Toronto having cap concerns than him going after a big name UFA.

There's a middle ground between the Okposo contract and the Josefsons/Pouliots of the world. That is where Buffalo should be involved. Three- or four-year contracts for guys like Dzingel, Eberle, Johansson, Zuccarello, B. Nelson, Donskoi, and B. Tanev (I am not advocating for any of those guys, individually, simply putting forth the caliber of player they should be looking at) are where they should be shopping.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There's a middle ground between the Okposo contract and the Josefsons/Pouliots of the world. That is where Buffalo should be involved. Three- or four-year contracts for guys like Dzingel, Eberle, Johansson, Zuccarello, B. Nelson, Donskoi, and B. Tanev (I am not advocating for any of those guys, individually, simply putting forth the caliber of player they should be looking at) are where they should be shopping.

If it's a 1 or 2 year deal at a reasonable cost, that is one thing.

But, most guys that can step in and be a top 6 forward or a top 4 D or a #1 G usually get 5+ years and a cap hit that is regrettable before it is over.

I would be surprised if the Sabres could get a guy like Nelson or Dzingel with a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable dollar amount.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If it's a 1 or 2 year deal at a reasonable cost, that is one thing.

But, most guys that can step in and be a top 6 forward or a top 4 D or a #1 G usually get 5+ years and a cap hit that is regrettable before it is over.

I would be surprised if the Sabres could get a guy like Nelson or Dzingel with a 3-4 year deal at a reasonable dollar amount.
Nelson is 27, giving him a 6 year 36 million(Not sure that would get it done) would be acceptable for me.

He is a consistant 20 goal scoring 2-way center(Well defensively responsible)

Reactions: Mitts888

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Nelson is 27, giving him a 6 year 36 million(Not sure that would get it done) would be acceptable for me.

Nelson will be 6 months younger when he hits UFA as Okposo was when he hit UFA and got 7 years @ $6M per.

If the Sabres go down that road, I would hope that it works out better...

Personally, I expect the Sabres to re-sign Skinner to a big money deal and forego adding any UFAs at 5+ years @ $5M+ per.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nelson will be 6 months younger when he hits UFA as Okposo was when he hit UFA and got 7 years @ $6M per.

Personally, I expect the Sabres to re-sign Skinner to a big money deal and forego adding any UFAs at 5+ years @ $5M+ per.

Hopefully they will only have one new boat anchor wing UFA deal this summer, not two.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

They really need to learn their lesson. Skinner was a try and buy and is the lowest risk.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Given what their cap situation will look like after extending Skinner with Reinhart and Dahlin paydays looming, it's probably the right move to stay out of the big game UFA pool.

I think the most likely scenario is Buffalo goes into 2019-20 with a mostly unchanged roster. Botteril will mistakenly lean on Mittelstadt's pedigree as his crutch for plugging him in at 2C again and hope likely Amerk graduates like Smith and Oloffson and veteran depth additions are enough to improve the forward group.

This would be an *awful* contract.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I feel comfortable signing Hayes. He’s got the type of game that remains useful as skills deteriorate. I could see him ending his career as a Brian Boyle type 4C who wins face offs, plays defense, and provides leadership for a playoff team.

Reactions: CaptPantalones

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You have to take a chance on UFA or trading for UFAs sooner or later. I am not saying MUST but once bitten twice shy is not a good motto to have as an NHL GM.

Look around the NHL and there are loads and loads of regrettable UFA deals out there.

Okposo might be the best big money UFA deal from 7/1/2016. Milan Lucic (7 yrs $6M cap hit) was a big signing from 7/1/2016, for example. Some other amazing deals on that day were Frans Nielsen (6 yrs $5.25M cap hit), Loui Eriksson (6 yrs $6M cap hit), David Backes (5 yrs $6M cap hit), and Andrew Ladd (7 yrs $5.5M cap hit).

Reactions: kummelweck

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
You have to take a chance on UFA or trading for UFAs sooner or later. I am not saying MUST but once bitten twice shy is not a good motto to have as an NHL GM.
Once bitten? Who HAS worked out in Buffalo as a big name UFA? Botterill has been plugging holes through UFA, and that's fine on a one or two year deal. But now they have guys from Roch that can plug those and need to be patient with drafting, development, and even trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad