Who are the worst commentators in the league?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The big difference is that Joe Bowen doesn’t whine and complain about the other team landing a big clean hit.

You have selected hearing then. Bowen whines and complains about the reffing. He's as biased as Edwards is. If you are going to be consistent on complaining about Edwards for being a big homer, atleast be consistent on Bowen for being the same.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
All of you guys who say “well, they’re a local announcer...of course they’re a homer”.

It’s just not enjoyable to some of us (myself included). I certainly have my biases toward the Bruins, but I really don’t want to listen to a blind homer throwing his opinion on me all the time, either blatantly or within a play by play call. I actually think Jack Edwards is capable of calling a good game, but as soon as things get testy down on the ice, he turns into a blowhard moron. It’s like the game suddenly becomes way too personal to him.

Let the fans throw their tirades and bitch about the other team for whatever reason. In my opinion, it’s hard to listen to coming through a television or radio broadcast, especially when it’s easy to see that a person is calling something totally off of emotion rather than an honest viewpoint. I hold a broadcaster to a different standard than I do a fan in row 15 of the balcony in Boston.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
You have selected hearing then. Bowen whines and complains about the reffing. He's as biased as Edwards is. If you are going to be consistent on complaining about Edwards for being a big homer, atleast be consistent on Bowen for being the same.

plus Jack gets as excited and geeks out over an opponents big hit and goals as much as he does for the Bruins

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Tampa's radio team is god ****ing awful.

Agreed. How did that guy get hired? He sounds like he should be employed as a frontman for a death metal band.

There are some commentators I don't care for but then there are ones that make my ears bleed....and he makes me want to go deaf

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson.

OMG! they pump the leafs every chance they get,during a national broadcast,even when the leafs ain't even playing FFS. As much as that is horrid enough,to listen to them call the game like on Valium or something.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

You are so confused.

I didn’t complain about Edwards being a homer and I didn’t say Bowen wasn’t one.
You, as usual, have to make every conversation about the Leafs.
Whining about if people are going to bring up Edwards they should also bring up Bowen.This discussion isn’t about Homerism. It’s about worst commentators. Bowen certainly isn’t one.

There is a big difference between Edwards and Bowen. Big difference.

Edwards is delusional. What he perceives he’s watching isn’t what is actually happening.
The same definitely can’t be said about Bowen

Also, my comment was about Edwards whining about a clean hit. Nothing to do with reffing.
You are having imaginary arguments in your own head.
Maybe that’s something you have in common with Edwards

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You are so confused.

I didn’t complain about Edwards being a homer and I didn’t say Bowen wasn’t one.
You, as usual, have to make every conversation about the Leafs.
Whining about if people are going to bring up Edwards they should also bring up Bowen.This discussion isn’t about Homerism. It’s about worst commentators. Bowen certainly isn’t one.

There is a big difference between Edwards and Bowen. Big difference.

Edwards is delusional. What he perceives he’s watching isn’t what is actually happening.
The same definitely can’t be said about Bowen
Edwards is delusional, how so? Do you have any evidence to this. No announcer gets the call 100% correct all the time. Bob Cole who I regard as the Dean of all broadcasters would call the wrong player often. But that never diminished his greatness to me. So what exactly are you referring to that makes Edwards is delusional? Try not to be anecdotal since you made the claim.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Remada and McNabb have always been terrible. And whoever they pair with McNabb seems to only make it worse.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Anyone that mentions Jack Edwards should also mention Joe Bowen, for me he is up there as the biggest homer as announcers go in hockey. He has gotten progressively worse with the giggling as the years have gone by also.

I doubt many people keep up with the Leafs radio broadcasts. Not everyone is as dedicated to following them as you are I guess.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Emrick is far and away the worst ever. I'd like to drive my fist into that nasty whiskey nose of his, except he's such a scrawny wimp I'd probably kill him. His voice resonates like that of an adolescent who's voice is changing - cringe worthy and then some..

Why many people think he is one of the best in the business is a total mystery. His constant yelling during plays that aren't even close to being anything exciting is just one of his many faults.

Apparently many newbie NHL fans think he makes the game exciting, but to those who follow and know the game get sick of his constant antics. You are better off putting the sound on mute and watch the game that way.

His constant use of the word "DRIVE" every time someone shoots the puck even if its 20 feet wide is unbearable to the ears. His asinine and constant use of words like regather, activate, waffle, and soccered, are beyond grating.

His un-related puns and "facts" he tries to bring to the broadcast are incredibly annoying when one realizes that it has nothing to do with the game or anyone's interest but his own.

To put in in hockey vernacular, he's a complete hoser.

I agree. I'd trade Doc/Edzo for Gary Thorne and Bill Clement in a heartbeat... It's absolute travesty that Thorne mostly does baseball now.

That said, I always find that Doc seems somewhat enjoyable when I see some old Devils clips called by him and Chico.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i love john garrett with the canucks as an entertainer, but at least once a game he goes into a longwinded misdescription of a play right after it happens and then the replay contradicts him. it happens so often he and shorthouse have sort of a routine for dealing with it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
oh, this is easy. John Forslund is one of the best in the NHL. Tripp Tracy is one of the worst. He is awful. Makes sense. Forslund costs. With the sliver of remaining budget they have all they can afford is Tracy.

Honorable mention to Jeff Rimer. Ugh...

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I agree. I'd trade Doc/Edzo for Gary Thorne and Bill Clement in a heartbeat... It's absolute travesty that Thorne mostly does baseball now.

That said, I always find that Doc seems somewhat enjoyable when I see some old Devils clips called by him and Chico.

Well it seems Emrick didn't try to talk over the game back then. He was tolerable at that point.

He was part of the game as opposed to trying to be clever.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I mute any Edwards commentary. I could turn the captions on and the bottom of the screen would just say [Jack Edwards schtick] for 3 hours.

Reactions: iamjs

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Bruins commentators are just straight up Cancer. Expecially when it comes to the "Rough Stuff".

Florida Panther's commentators are extremely biased and 1 sided.

Ducks and Sabres announcers are pretty damn bad too.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I’m a Bruins fan and Jack Edwards sometimes is unbearable to me. Other times, he’s very good, but it becomes the “Jack Edwards Show” way too often.

The Florida Panthers announcers (Denis Savard and whoever the PBP guy is) are laughable homers. The majority of the broadcast is made up of complaining, both with the help of replay and during game play, about calls being “missed” against the Panthers. At least that’s what it was last time I watched a broadcast of theirs (over a year ago).

I completely agree with Florida. Its not even that they're biased...they legit come off as total Douche bags in some cases.

Florida would be one of the last places I would think would have this homeristic announcers. But here we are

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad