Who are the worst commentators in the league?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Mike Haynes was the best. I'm glad the Avs new announcers have a similar style. I wish all announcers were like them. So much fun.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
In terms of accuracy, Sam Rosen is getting up there. Probably more a product of age than him randomly becoming a bad announcer.

Goring has got to be most biased, even considering Jack Edwards. He’s unlistenable unless you’re an Isles fan.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
The Leafs have a new announcer on Sportsnet I think his name is John Bartlett. He seems like he knows what he's talking about and probably is a nice guy but I just don't like his voice and that really takes away from the experience for me.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
The Leafs have a new announcer on Sportsnet I think his name is John Bartlett. He seems like he knows what he's talking about and probably is a nice guy but I just don't like his voice and that really takes away from the experience for me.
He does the Marlies games and is covering the Leafs until Bowen is back from his throat ailment.

I don't really like his voice either though.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I can't stand the Devils announcer who replaced Doc (who I'm ironically not a big fan of either) he just comes across as way too melodramatic with his calls.

The new Stars announcer also gets on my nerves a bit but he does have big shoes to fill there.

Sep 19, 2008
Penguins used to have the worst with Steigy and Errey. Thankfully Steigy was reassigned a few years ago and the new guy they have is okay.

Edwards is a homer but he also seems excited about hockey in general. I've seen him get pretty amped up over Habs goals. :laugh:

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand
Sep 19, 2008
I can't stand the Devils announcer who replaced Doc (who I'm ironically not a big fan of either) he just comes across as way too melodramatic with his calls.

The new Stars announcer also gets on my nerves a bit but he does have big shoes to fill there.

Yeah a lot of people don't like the new Devils guy. I wish Doc still did Devils games.

Some of their best moments came with Doc at the mic. "Marshall! In overtime! The Devils win it!"

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I feel the same way about Gord Miller.

Obviously knowledgeable and not TOO biased whenever he calls games, but his "excited" voice during a scoring chance or goal, I can't stand it. Like he reaches a whole other octave.

That said, I still feel bad for when Pierre McGoofball completely ruined his iconic Eberle goal call at the World Juniors. :laugh:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
After all these years I just don't care for John Shorthouse. I don't dislike anything he does, I just can't get used to how he sounds like he's got a really bad kidney stone bothering him and he's just doing his job getting through the broadcast

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone that mentions Jack Edwards should also mention Joe Bowen, for me he is up there as the biggest homer as announcers go in hockey. He has gotten progressively worse with the giggling as the years have gone by also.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Anyone that mentions Jack Edwards should also mention Joe Bowen, for me he is up there as the biggest homer as announcers go in hockey. He has gotten progressively worse with the giggling as the years have gone by also.
The big difference is that Joe Bowen doesn’t whine and complain about the other team landing a big clean hit.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m a Bruins fan and Jack Edwards sometimes is unbearable to me. Other times, he’s very good, but it becomes the “Jack Edwards Show” way too often.

The Florida Panthers announcers (Denis Savard and whoever the PBP guy is) are laughable homers. The majority of the broadcast is made up of complaining, both with the help of replay and during game play, about calls being “missed” against the Panthers. At least that’s what it was last time I watched a broadcast of theirs (over a year ago).

Jim Jackson, Flyers PBP, also used to drive me crazy.

There are some big homer booths throughout the league, but I think there is something to the most purely “annoying” homer teams being those in smaller markets and not often involved in the playoff picture. There is either a personal tendency within those guys to think they are constantly getting the short end in one way or another and/or it’s a weird method of trying to keep fan interest.

Mickey Redmond is also annoying. Not really because he’s a homer, but because he has the need to make noise and interrupt the PBP for no reason at all.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
complaining a local announcer is a homer is like flying across the country then complaining because the local news isn't covering stories from where you live

Its so odd. People can claim Edwards is annoying I guess but claiming hes a "homer" is dumb, he works for a regional sports network in Boston LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad