Who are the worst commentators in the league?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I've been watching the Montreal-LA game, and it baffles my mind how awful the Kings play-by-play guys have been. Monotonous, blatant homers (expected, but it seems to be on another level), getting player names wrong for shifts at a time, several times per period.

Who do you think are the worst commentators in the league?

Jack Edwards is 1, 2 and 3

If Saddam Hussein played for the Bruins, Edwards would have called Desert Storm a draw . . .

If George McGovern had played for the Bruins, The 1972 election would have gone to the House of Representatives . . .

If Ted Kacyzinzki had played for the Bruins, Edwards would have invented the Unabomber name as a positive label . . .

Last edited:

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Can’t stand the red wings broadcast team. I think the blues have the best duo imo

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Read this thread long enough and every single regional and national commentator in the United States and Canada will be named.

Reminds me of DownGoesBrown and his Stanley Cup championships counter article. Find enough reasons and you can make the claim that nobody has ever won a legitimate Stanley Cup in the history of the sport.

But to add something constructive to the discussion, I'll just say that I find Jack Edwards biggest problem is when he goes into, for lack of better phrase, talk show host mode. When he starts riffing about Dougie Hamilton's lack of character or other assorted nonsense. I actually generally chose the NESN broadcast when I watch Bruins games, and it's not by total coincidence; Jack and Brick call a good game and generally have an understanding on what's going on for both teams involved. It's way too late and way too simplistic to talk about wanting Jack to get his op-eds out of the broadcast; if he's been doing that for this long he's not going to stop now, but it's a small (but very widespread) part of the overall game he calls.

For me, the "worst" are the types that either are completely misinformed, and/or the types that have all the charisma of dead muskrats. For me, that's broadcast crews like Anaheim and Minnesota. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a game of those teams with their crews (and I certainly couldn't tell you the last time I saw an Anaheim/Minnesota game).
I was reasonably impressed with the Anaheim commentary.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I have access to all the regional broadcasts through Direct TV and the ones I dislike the most are the Avs guys. The color guy keeps saying "We" when talking about the Avs. I get it, regional broadcasts are biased but to me, that's a bit much.

On a side note, the best I've heard are Tampas. Very unbiased, talk about players on both teams and have good, relevant stats and information.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
It's a shame so many calls of Ovie's legendary career will be voiced over by that dude from Comcast Sportsnet.

But yes, the worst currently or recently in the league for me are the Paul Romanuck and the Bruins operation.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
On a side note, the best I've heard are Tampas. Very unbiased, talk about players on both teams and have good, relevant stats and information.

Bobby Taylor was and is a beloved figure around here, but there's no question that Lightning broadcast quality shot up about two full grades when Engblom came in. Absolute pro at what he does and he makes Peckham better as well. I've enjoyed those two since the first game they did together.

Reactions: Favster

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
jim fox is the worst and it's not even close. Biggest homer in the league and the way he talks and finishes his sentences drives me nuts. "Stop it right here guys. Now here you see Kopitar, gets the puck from Doughty. Takes his time with it. Puts it in the net. Kings lead. 3 to 2." If you've watched more than 3-4 king games you know exactly what I'm talking about.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
As a huge Bruins fan Edwards is great as long as the the play is flowing and no goals, fights, hits happen.

Once any action happens he is a crazy babbling spaz other then that he is top drawer.

Reactions: flames96

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
They are all tied for last, apparently.

Exactly. Every single time this thread appears, which is like ten times a year, there is never agreement. Not even a top 5 worst. It’s a pointless thread. And yet, every time, the thread gets 20-25 pages :biglaugh:

tom990

Jan 31, 2019
now the playoff have also been blessed with the female "experts".... just get rid of them, the high pitched female voices are simply awful and does not fit into the game of hockey, are there female football commentators? i don't think so.

so annoying to listen to. :ha:

yes, i got the courage to say what most men and women are thinking: this does not sound right!
flame on

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
John forsland (Carolina) and Brendan Burke (NYI) are both easy to listen to. I actually don't mind Jack Edwards. Pat Foley (Chicago) is good too. Buffalo's is fun to listen to once in a while...

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
now the playoff have also been blessed with the female "experts".... just get rid of them, the high pitched female voices are simply awful and does not fit into the game of hockey, are there female football commentators? i don't think so.

so annoying to listen to. :ha:

yes, i got the courage to say what most men and women are thinking: this does not sound right!
flame on

Is that what they're calling it these days?

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
ANA & LA are pretty shitty

i can't stand the VAN one either, his voice is the most annoying (don't know his name, but it's a deep yet silly clownish voice, hard to describe)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The Caps commentator always sounds like he has his mouth full, drives me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad