Who are the worst commentators in the league?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Attachments

• JackEd.jpg
    JackEd.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 21

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
Steve Mears is a downgrade from Steigerwald. He doesn't have an announcer's voice. He sounds like they pulled some fan and put him in the booth. He has some annoying tendencies such as stating the ages of players multiple times throughout the broadcast. He leans heavily on the phrase, "Dusts it off". And the cringey "Sticks down, pucks down" opening line every game.

tom99

Oct 22, 2018
As a Caps fan I think Joe Benninati is awful,
i think his voice is okay, but the caps have awful audio mix from the arena they play in..... rink sound is way too low, commentator sound on the other hand, is jacked up way too high.... when joe b yells score! i jump out the chair, way to loud!

Almost no rink sounds and goal horn/siren from that arena, they should really fix it.... any caps fans that also have noticed this?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Doc has a very fitting voice for a commentator even at his age. For that alone, I can forgive him for his mistakes during the games when he constantly messes up players with similar numbers and body types. The worst in the tandem Doc-Pierre-Edzo is Edzo. You can tell from the get go which team he's rooting for and he does it in so annoying way - belittling good plays from an opposing team and all pumped up and giving praises left and right when his faves do anything worthwhile. Pierre, while he's a huge Crosby and Pens fan, is rather objective when it comes to other teams. I look at him as an integral part of NHLs biggest games. Edzo? I wouldn't even flinch if they fire him tomorrow.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't understand how the Wild guys are hardly ever mentioned in these threads every time.

The PBP guy has the same cadences as Jack Edwards (who I love) if you removed the ability to credit the opposition, calls opposing goals correctly, and at least be entertaining.

Edit: Ah very good, I see I already made this comment in here last February. :laugh:

Caught their broadcast last night for the Flyers, it was the only one available on Center Ice. I had it on while I was cooking dinner, glancing up on and off...and, no lie, I missed two of the Flyers' five goals because they made such little noise about them. I'd just look up and go "oh, it's 3-2 now?"

They also were pretty badly informed about the Flyers themselves. Basically portrayed them as a solid playoff team last year (they were bad for half the year and squeaked in in the last few days) that was "one of the more intense and physical teams in the league." It's one thing to be off on a few notes about some non-conference players you see only twice per season, but that's just a completely inaccurate characterization of a team that has been passive and relatively undersized for more than three seasons now. Like, the sort of lazy reputation-based local commentary that makes fans less informed about other teams around the league.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand what everyone love about Rick Jeanneret, he sounds like a chain smoker trying to call a game to me.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
Pierre: What was the name of the evil lion in The Lion King?

Doc: SCAR!

Seriously, Emrick has one of the least broadcast-ready voices out of all the national announcers, but he makes up for it in enthusiasm and knowledge.

Wonder who NBC picks as their A-team guy once he finally retires.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
I understand he's a regional guy but the Leafs game against the Avs this week reminded just how bad Altitude's play-by-play guy is.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Pierre: What was the name of the evil lion in The Lion King?

Doc: SCAR!

Seriously, Emrick has one of the least broadcast-ready voices out of all the national announcers, but he makes up for it in enthusiasm and knowledge.

Wonder who NBC picks as their A-team guy once he finally retires.
I'd bet its gonna be John Forslund and rightfully so.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Man, Pens announcers getting roasted in here. I may have to tune into a broadcast sometime and hear for myself just how bad they are

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Boston (because of both) and Florida (because of Potvin)

As far as National broadcasts, there is nothing worse in sports than the Emrick-Maguire-Olcyzk trio.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Steve Mears is a downgrade from Steigerwald. He doesn't have an announcer's voice. He sounds like they pulled some fan and put him in the booth. He has some annoying tendencies such as stating the ages of players multiple times throughout the broadcast. He leans heavily on the phrase, "Dusts it off". And the cringey "Sticks down, pucks down" opening line every game.

Steigerwald is an unprofessional buffoon.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am always surprised when people roast a team's broadcaster for being a homer. What the f*** do you expect? The organization signs their paychecks. You think they are going to be unbiased?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com

I strongly disagree. Mears isn't an incredible sportscaster by any stretch of the imagination, but he's essentially an average-quality pbp guy. Steigerwald was not only unprofessional - airing grievances against other teams and players from the broadcast booth, making inappropriate jokes, fixating on specific players and topics to the point where he was ignoring game action - he also was starting to lose track of which player was which. It felt like he was misidentifying players more than once a game in his last years in the booth. Mears can at least get the names right.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Steigerwald was a buffoon with a good goal call.

Mears is a mediocre commentator with a bad announcer voice.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Boston: Jack Edwards and the irritating color guy that can’t use any vowel sound outside of “AH”. I worst they would trade Pastrnak so he he would not Butcher his Name as Paahhstrnaahhhk
Colorado: They fired the homer and replaced him with a fanboy.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
I strongly disagree. Mears isn't an incredible sportscaster by any stretch of the imagination, but he's essentially an average-quality pbp guy. Steigerwald was not only unprofessional - airing grievances against other teams and players from the broadcast booth, making inappropriate jokes, fixating on specific players and topics to the point where he was ignoring game action - he also was starting to lose track of which player was which. It felt like he was misidentifying players more than once a game in his last years in the booth. Mears can at least get the names right.

Outside of the Hobey Baker joke (which was hilarious), what other inappropriate jokes did he make? He definitely was a homer and screwed up from time to time though. I guess it's just such a stark contrast between Steigerwald's commanding, natural announcer's voice and Mears' weaker voice and lack of flair. I also thought the chemistry was greater between him and Errey.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I'm a Penguins fan and I can't even stand the Penguins commentators.
While I live in Pittsburgh, at times, there are ways to get around the Root Broadcasts. I definitely had to do that.

Local broadcasters are all bad. Same thing for when I am in New York or Philadelphia for extended periods of times. New York Rangers aren’t that bad and since Comcast took over the Flyers and the local broadcasting teams shifted to radio mainly, it’s not bad either, but it can be at times.

For what I’ve listened to and heard- Boston is by far the worst. Pittsburgh’s Root announcers are 2nd. The TBL announcers are annoying when they have an orgasm talking about Kucherov and Point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad