Speculation: Who are the Jets losing to expansion? Better question is who are we getting!

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Make a deal with Enstrom- tell him to waive his No Move Clause, even if it costs you money, and a player. He's making around $ 5 mil per year, he's to small, and the Jet's won 7 straight games without him. I'd keep Perrault, as he looked good in the last quarter of 2017 season.

Vegas is going to need some experience on defence, so pay Toby $1 million or so to waive, which you'll save by keeping Myers at a cheaper annual cost, and much better Defenceman. You may want to throw in Petan, to make the deal more enticing to accept. I think Vegas would bite on this.

I think the key for the Jet's is get rid of overpaid Enstrom, and now is the perfect time, with a new team needing experienced players. It would take some wheeling and dealing, but if I were Chevy, this is the avenue I'd be looking at. Chevy is really not one to wheel and deal, but he has to IMO, as you don't want to lose MP.

I don't see vegas taking enstrom but all we need is for him is to waive his no nmc and that allows us to protect 3 more forwards thus not losing lowry or Perrault. also they cant bribe a player to waive with money.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Vegas signing Shipachev may indicate that they are looking more to compete right out of the gate rather than tank for more picks. Part of that could be trying to be good right off the bat in a non traditional market, especially with the NFL around the corner.

Wonder how much Vegas will really be interested in moving good young D or a goalie for picks and prospects now. They might just want to keep these guys.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Dadonov now looking like he's going to sign as well.

I thought Vegas was a good option before to get a D and a goalie. Now I'm not so sure.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Dadonov now looking like he's going to sign as well.

I thought Vegas was a good option before to get a D and a goalie. Now I'm not so sure.

They still have to overstock positions due to the requirements a day as such will have to move some players out or risk losing them to waivers.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
They still have to overstock positions due to the requirements a day as such will have to move some players out or risk losing them to waivers.

For sure, but I'm wondering if the guys now that we would like are now the guys that they are going to want to keep.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For sure, but I'm wondering if the guys now that we would like are now the guys that they are going to want to keep.

Perhaps. They will get 3 good goalies so we would have a shot at one of them.

No idea what they will get on defense will have to wait for the lists.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Perhaps. They will get 3 good goalies so we would have a shot at one of them.

No idea what they will get on defense will have to wait for the lists.

True. They'll likely still have more good goalies available than they can use.

I'm not sure if they will have a D available that is both someone we would want and someone they feel they can lose (if they want to compete now).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
True. They'll likely still have more good goalies available than they can use.

I'm not sure if they will have a D available that is both someone we would want and someone they feel they can lose (if they want to compete now).

My number one target is still Smith as a UFA. Or go the cheap root for a player who could bust out if given the opportunity like Schmidt or Pouliot.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Buyout is an admission of a mistake. Our GM doesn't admit mistakes.

You feel that Enstrom's contract was a mistake? Why?

What other left shooting options have existed on the roster since he resigned in 2013?

Stuart, Chiarot, Clitsome, Pardy, Harrison, Ellerby?

I think his play alone justified the contract.

Factor in he was the only option makes that decision a no brainer.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You feel that Enstrom's contract was a mistake? Why?

What other left shooting options have existed on the roster since he resigned in 2013?

Stuart, Chiarot, Clitsome, Pardy, Harrison, Ellerby?

I think his play alone justified the contract.

Factor in he was the only option makes that decision a no brainer.

Yeah Toby has been fair value for his contract other than this past season. It's off the books in a year anyhow.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yeah Toby has been fair value for his contract other than this past season. It's off the books in a year anyhow.

I don't know how one can assert that he has been good value for his contract. Take Andrei Markov as a comparable, both paid as #2 d defenseman, one is PP leader, kills penalties regularly, and is 5 years slower. The other has put up 23, 16 and14 points in his last 3 seasons, has not been particularly effective in either facet of special teams, despite being paired with our paid #1 and #3 over that time. Tempered by a very good team record without him, perhaps coincidence, perhaps not. I think he is a good passer, protects the puck well, but defensively mediocre. I wish him well, I wonder if he goes back to Sweden to be with his girlfriend. If we lose him for nothing that is poor asset management, and if we are building a playoff team, it can't be said he comes with much of a pedigree. The tough choices for Chevy are coming, on who is the core going forward, it will be markedly different than the core we inherited, and I hope that all the experience our players get internationally pay dividends.

I am growing more inclined to want Calvin Pickard as a goalie for the Jets. Ft. Richmond raised, trains locally, and the friendship he has with Eric Comrie could very well lead to a terrific tandem in net for years to come. He could be had for Brendan Lemieux conceivably, an asset we have without much room to grow within the organization, especially if Erik Foley develops as expected, and faster, meaning that we keep all picks and prospects. The Jets have yet to trade a drafted prospect, and I don't expect them to, without making changes to the veteran leadership first. I think a defensive leader could still be had out of Toby if Chevy is able to make a deal.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Why does it say "who are we getting"?

Self explanatory if you read the opening statement.

30 players being selected. Vegas will only be able to keep 23 or less.

This number has now been reduced to 22 or less following the signing of Vadim Shipachyov the days ago.

The Jets have quite an opportunity to be picking up the 2nd pairing LSD or perhaps the proven veteran goaltender they've been coveting & have the assets Las Vegas wants in return.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Flyers fan coming in peace.

I have seen it mentioned about Enstrom being bought out due to wanting to protect Myers instead. I wonder uf thus would work for both teams:

Enstrom for Manning and Cousins

Currently, the Flyers only have Gudas and Ghost worth protecting. The next D option is Manning or MacDonald. So we could protect Enstrom no issue. We are looking for a 1 year stopgap veteran.

For the Jets, they get Manning to replace the LHD spot. He also gets under all the Oilers skin which the Jets would like. In Cousins, the Jets get a roster player to replace whatever depth forward they lose in expansion. He too has an agitating side and seems to draw a penalty almost every game.

Manning is a UFA in 2018....$975,000
Cousins is a RFA this summer....$840,000

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013

I have seen it mentioned about Enstrom being bought out due to wanting to protect Myers instead. I wonder uf thus would work for both teams:

Currently, the Flyers only have Gudas and Ghost worth protecting. The next D option is Manning or MacDonald. So we could protect Enstrom no issue. We are looking for a 1 year stopgap veteran.

For the Jets, they get Manning to replace the LHD spot. He also gets under all the Oilers skin which the Jets would like. In Cousins, the Jets get a roster player to replace whatever depth forward they lose in expansion. He too has an agitating side and seems to draw a penalty almost every game.

Enstrom would have to waive his to trade, but this doesn't look horrible to me in the greater scope of having to lose someone to XD.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Enstrom would have to waive his to trade, but this doesn't look horrible to me in the greater scope of having to lose someone to XD.

Leaving things as is:

4-4-1
Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Perreault, Enstrom, Byfugien, Trouba, Myers, Hellebuyck

We expose 2018 RFA's Lowry/Armia & 2017 RFA's Dano/Copp. Greatest likelihood is losing either Armia/Lowry as they have 2017-2018 contracts signed.

With your suggestion we go 7-3-1
Little, Wheeler, Scheifele, Perreault, Armia, Lowry, Dano, Byfugien, Trouba, Myers, Hellebuyck

We expose Manning, Cousins, Copp. Likely lose Copp to Vegas.

So the questions from the Jets perspective is Enstrom+Copp>Armia,Manning,Cousins.

I'll stick with Enstrom+Copp. Morrissey would be promoted to 1st pairing. Manning would be expected to play 2nd pairing minutes replacing Enstrom. That's a tremendous step back at defence & all of Lowry/Armia/Dano/Copp would be preferred over a recently concussed Cousins.

A fair proposal, but an easy no. Manning in no danger to be selected by Vegas, meaning all 10+ of the defensemen available the draft would have more appeal to the Jets at the expansion draft than Manning. Still hoping someone on the level of De Haan is traded to the Jets at expansion for a package of prospects like one of Petan or Roslovic + one of Lemieux, Harkins or Lipon.

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016
what the jets should do...

With the couple of Russians signed/to be signed by Vegas, they will need only 21 pros to fill up their roster... leaving 9 "deals" to be made with teams. Chevy needs to get in there, and here is how it should go down:

-make a deal with Vegas in that in addition to the 7 and 3, the jets are allowed to "protect" an additional 5 skaters, for this vegas gains the Jets 2017 3rd round pick and then can pick a decent AHLer like kosmachuck.

-then offer the islanders the 2017 2nd and 5th round picks for Calvin de Haan. (perhaps they may even want a roster player like Petan).

-can keep Toby, and the extra 5 protected can be: Dano, De Haan, Myers and two more.

-then make a deal for either Raanta or Fleury and then use one of those remaining protected spots for the second goalie.

-leaves the Jets 1 more spot for whoever they want.

Summarize:

lose, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th round picks (plus whatever it takes for the goalie deal)
gain, de haan and fluery/raanta

wouldnt have to worry about losing anyone, setting a buy-out precedence, etc etc.

Defense
morrissey-trouba
de haan-buff
toby-myers

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
-make a deal with Vegas in that in addition to the 7 and 3, the jets are allowed to "protect" an additional 5 skaters, for this vegas gains the Jets 2017 3rd round pick and then can pick a decent AHLer like kosmachuck.

If I'm Vegas, I don't touch that deal. I'd prefer taking either Myers or Armia. If there's no room on the roster for either of them (which is questionable anyway), they can be traded for better futures.

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016
If I'm Vegas, I don't touch that deal. I'd prefer taking either Myers or Armia. If there's no room on the roster for either of them (which is questionable anyway), they can be traded for better futures.

I cannot believe the Jets will go 4 and 4 under any circumstance. So, Vegas would be looking at Dano...

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I cannot believe the Jets will go 4 and 4 under any circumstance. So, Vegas would be looking at Dano...

Not necessarily. Vegas must draft 20 players already under contract in 2017-2018.

With Dano a 2017 RFA, the questions becomes whether there are better 2017 RFA's available.

That answer is yes. Should De Haan, Ouellet, Oleksiak, Rheinhart, Mueller, Gaunce, Andrighetto, Pulkinnen, & Subban all be available, I'm taking all of them over Dano.

As a result Vegas could lean towards Lowry or Armia who have contracts already.

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

Yeah, if the Jets find a way to go 7-3-1 without exposing Myers, that changes the conversation quite a bit.

Although even if it is only Dano who is exposed, it's tough to say how much he would be valued by Vegas. If viewed by the numbers, Dano looks pretty good. For sure more valuable than a 3rd round pick and an AHL guy.

On the other hand, Dano appears to have been undervalued by multiple coaches who have had him on their roster, and so maybe Vegas similarly views his value as low.

edit: interesting info about the RFA stuff, Fonz.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I think you're in the minority vote here. Myers coming off an injury plagued season still holds more value than any two of Copp, Dano, Lowry, Armia, let alone one.

We're losing a forward. Deal with it. Anaheim faces losing Silfverberg & even they are being projected to go 4-4-1.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah, if the Jets find a way to go 7-3-1 without exposing Myers, that changes the conversation quite a bit.

Although even if it is only Dano who is exposed, it's tough to say how much he would be valued by Vegas. If viewed by the numbers, Dano looks pretty good. For sure more valuable than a 3rd round pick and an AHL guy.

On the other hand, Dano appears to have been undervalued by multiple coaches who have had him on their roster, and so maybe Vegas similarly views his value as low.

My flip side argument to my last post is that high quality Europeans are available in droves for Vegas to select. Should they decide to ice Team Europe, Dano might slot in nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad