Speculation: Who are the Jets losing to expansion? Better question is who are we getting!

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Is it just me?

I can't say I'm at all impressed with what McPhee put together.

UP68qjF.png

That is why McPhee did what he did. While he was certainly given better choices than previous expansion teams, he was still stuck with the idea that most of the skilled players he could have selected were UFA 2018 or 2019, with barely any RFAs. One year of being competitive isn't enough to offset the years after of trying to find players to insert in the lineup if some don't stay. In fact, being competitive instead of a bad team is actually worse for the future, as they don't get high picks (i.e. 1st to 5th), and their future farm suffers more.

In my opinion, I still think they could have done better in selecting more skilled players to trade away to other teams after to get a better haul of draft picks, but I guess there's also the idea that you gotta be "buddy-buddy" with the other GMs in this league, otherwise it's a "f*** you mentality" after and other teams refuse to trade with you, waiting for your team to go UFA and get them after.

It'll always be the system given to the Expansion Team and not wholly the team itself of why they did what they did. Next time (my idea if I were Commissioner), give em a lottery pick chance, and then an extra one at the end of the first three rounds and then pick in the middle otherwise (i.e. say they place 3rd in the lottery - then they get 3rd, 32nd (extra of 1st round), then 15th and 32nd in 2nd and 3rd rounds). Then they don't NEED to amass picks in whatever shape or form.

Plus it'll finally make the other GMs do something instead of getting off easy most of the time.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Is it just me?

And some of the compensation he's receiving? A 5th for Schlemko who's on a sweethearts deal.

He should be ashamed of that deal & where was Chevy? Our 5th rounder was better than Montreal's.

Shocked people are upset about the Thorburn selection. A huge expansion victory for the Jets, but we weren't the only ones.

Pick after pick, deal after deal McPhee appears to be have learned nothing since being swindled by Nashville. The Forsberg deal may end considered one of the worst deals of all time.

Next time an expansion team enters the league, let an analytics guy make all the selections.

Their team is garbage.

The offseason excitement of getting a De Hann, Vatanen, Oleksiak, Mueller, Demers, ect are instead met with a bunch of 30+ year old players on the decline a year away from UFA status.

I'm really at a loss for what happened yesterday.

Ok I get it deals were made so that teams kept their roster intact. But what kind of deals? Where's the compensation?

If moving up from 24 to 13 is, as some discuss, the equivalent of a 3rd round draft pick AND we also gave Vegas a 2019 3rd rounder then it's easy math.

Apparently $500 million in expansion fees gets you sixty 3rd round draft picks.

McPhee's a idiot.

Chiarot & Melchiori may both make the Jets this year unless Chevy can join the rest of the league trading peanuts for players & steal Merrill or McNabb before someone else rips McPhee off.

On an offnote, was Merrill Trouba's defensive partner in Michigan in 2012-2013?

Merrill is not a guy who's name should be passing your lips if you believe in advanced stats.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Is it just me?

And some of the compensation he's receiving? A 5th for Schlemko who's on a sweethearts deal.

He should be ashamed of that deal & where was Chevy? Our 5th rounder was better than Montreal's.

Shocked people are upset about the Thorburn selection. A huge expansion victory for the Jets, but we weren't the only ones.

Pick after pick, deal after deal McPhee appears to be have learned nothing since being swindled by Nashville. The Forsberg deal may end considered one of the worst deals of all time.

Next time an expansion team enters the league, let an analytics guy make all the selections.

Their team is garbage.

The offseason excitement of getting a De Hann, Vatanen, Oleksiak, Mueller, Demers, ect are instead met with a bunch of 30+ year old players on the decline a year away from UFA status.

I'm really at a loss for what happened yesterday.

Ok I get it deals were made so that teams kept their roster intact. But what kind of deals? Where's the compensation?

If moving up from 24 to 13 is, as some discuss, the equivalent of a 3rd round draft pick AND we also gave Vegas a 2019 3rd rounder then it's easy math.

Apparently $500 million in expansion fees gets you sixty 3rd round draft picks.

McPhee's a idiot.

Chiarot & Melchiori may both make the Jets this year unless Chevy can join the rest of the league trading peanuts for players & steal Merrill or McNabb before someone else rips McPhee off.

On an offnote, was Merrill Trouba's defensive partner in Michigan in 2012-2013?

T, a drink I pour myself
A, a word Canadians say
N, the opposite of out
K, a letter to follow O...

OK, so Oscar Hammerstein I'm not. But since he's relying so heavily on building through the draft, he needs to maximize their potential.

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
Assuming deHaan is a LD, what would it take to get him and Halak from NYI? Two birds, one stone.

2nd +?
24th? (Too much?)

Appreciate the feedback (and sorry if this has already been mentioned)

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Halak is a career .917 and de Haan would be our 2LHD for the next 4-5 years. 5 x 4m.

Morrissey Trouba
de Haan Buff
Enstrom Myers

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Halak is a career .917 and de Haan would be our 2LHD for the next 4-5 years. 5 x 4m.

Morrissey Trouba
de Haan Buff
Enstrom Myers

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Snow just "swindled" his way into making VGK select J-F Berube by giving away forward Mikhail Grabovski, defenseman Jake Bischoff, the Islanders’ first-round pick in 2017 (15th overall) and a second-round pick in 2019 in trades with the Isles. Now he reportedly wants two firsts in a return for Hamonic ($3.85m AAV x 3yrs) which is probably to get a pick again this year (otherwise they don't pick till 46th overall) and get another one next year or two. Meanwhile De Haan is a RFA, and Halak only has one year left and though is seemingly disliked, they're willing to keep him or either offload him 100% (waivers last year in which no one picked him up (why Chevy why)).

If they trade Hamonic, they shouldn't be trading De Haan as well, otherwise I don't see how they remain competitive enough for Tavares to willingly stay.

So, unless Hamonic stays and they have reason to believe that Devon Toews or Mitch Vande Sompel or Parker Wotherspoon can be inserted into the lineup on the left side, I don't see De Haan moving anytime soon. And like we've seen with our own Morrissey, defence players (for some unknown reason sometimes) are left to develop until they are 21/22 - of which only Devon Toews is.

Trust me, I think it would be very, very ideal to have De Haan and Halak on our team, but I don't see NYI doing it unless they get a nice haul in return for what they gave up at the XD.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
If you start with the premise that the Jets might be looking for someone who could stabilize Buff on the 2nd line ; someone who plays strong defensively but with limited offensive tendencies ; GAR suggests Merril would be a very nice fit. Seems like someone who could be secured from Vegas at a very reasonable cost as well given the circumstances. ( I know McNabb might be ideal but I understand that he is not available at all).

C`mon Chevy, just do it before the opportunity fades away.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
UP68qjF.png

That is why McPhee did what he did. While he was certainly given better choices than previous expansion teams, he was still stuck with the idea that most of the skilled players he could have selected were UFA 2018 or 2019, with barely any RFAs. One year of being competitive isn't enough to offset the years after of trying to find players to insert in the lineup if some don't stay. In fact, being competitive instead of a bad team is actually worse for the future, as they don't get high picks (i.e. 1st to 5th), and their future farm suffers more.

In my opinion, I still think they could have done better in selecting more skilled players to trade away to other teams after to get a better haul of draft picks, but I guess there's also the idea that you gotta be "buddy-buddy" with the other GMs in this league, otherwise it's a "f*** you mentality" after and other teams refuse to trade with you, waiting for your team to go UFA and get them after.

It'll always be the system given to the Expansion Team and not wholly the team itself of why they did what they did. Next time (my idea if I were Commissioner), give em a lottery pick chance, and then an extra one at the end of the first three rounds and then pick in the middle otherwise (i.e. say they place 3rd in the lottery - then they get 3rd, 32nd (extra of 1st round), then 15th and 32nd in 2nd and 3rd rounds). Then they don't NEED to amass picks in whatever shape or form.

Plus it'll finally make the other GMs do something instead of getting off easy most of the time.

Compensation for a team signing an RFA is based on the league set compensation scale.

Many of the quality 2017 RFA's that were available will be signing $3.6 million contracts.

That value is a 1st & 3rd round pick. There are many teams that had exposed players of this value, but got nowhere near that value back.

On my phone responding so can't get into examples, but going from this reasoning it points towards why Dano wasn't selected & the 3rd Vegas receieved is slightly above the corresponding compensation.

The swap of picks had to do with the Jets exposing Enstrom & a little something something was arranged.

It was also brought up on draft Day that Mcphee messed up his selection list & was short a forward. Within this time frame he & Chevy were reported to be talking.

It's quite possible Stuart or Postma was the initial selection & that had to be ditched after the league called this error to McPhee's attention. Maybe maybe not, but some NHL defensemen was on their initial list & this was swapped for a forward from in all likelihood that same team. Just guess work, but it is a plausible explanation.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad